What are you Top 5 favorite games?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

What are you Top 5 favorite games?

Postby uwstudent » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:51 pm

Name your favorites.

Soul Calibur 2
Pacman
RE4
SimCity
Tie: SWBattlefront/Jedi Outcast

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:05 pm

Solitaire?

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:49 pm

Halo (series)
Pac-Man CE
Jet Set Radio
Star Fox 64
Mario Kart (series)

I picked these 5 because they're 5 that I will play far beyond what is reasonable. Halo and Mario Kart I can't pick my favorite one game from the series but lean on whatevers the newest. last year it was all Halo 2 and Mario Kart DS, now its Halo 3 and Mario Kart Wii.

Pac-Man CE, even though its a new version of a classic is bite siozed enough to play when I only have a moment free. a 5 minute game is just that: only 5 minutes.

Jet Set Radio invented the cell shad style and is the best example of the strange inventive gameplay that defined the dreamcast: rollerblading graffitti artists against Tokyo police and Yakuza

Star Fox 64 is a purely personal choice. Mario 64 and Ocarina of time were better games, but the Nintendo 64 usually got turned on to beat my last score. Geometry Wars and Rez modernize the same kind of kenetic shooter feeling I crave with Star Fox 64, but the Fox remains king. Only I have the brains to rule Lylat.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:54 pm

Free Cell

forwardourmotto
Forum Addict

Postby forwardourmotto » Thu May 01, 2008 8:00 pm

Let's see...

Secret of Mana
Final Fantasy 6
Half-Life (series)
Katamari
Okami

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri May 02, 2008 7:13 am

This is a difficult list. When I think of my top 5 favorite games, it has to be games that I come back to over and over again throughout my gaming career and still love to play each time.

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn sits atop the list with no questions asked. I have easily spent 300 hours playing just this one game alone.

Unreal Tournament changed online shooters for me, with pure unadulterated free-for-all competition, and it sets a bar for visceral online gameplay that I continually compare other games to. HEADSHOT!!

Quake 3: Arena is another one - focused more around CTF than general online play, the fast-paced action and necessity of teamwork kept me playing with a clan for nearly 2 straight years. The Rocket Arena mod managed to squeeze out another 18 months on top of that.

Neverwinter Nights series is somehow always enjoyable each time I go back to it, and I always like their games enough to play them all the way through.

Everquest changed my life. The first time we cleared our way through the Plane of Hate - my first big guild raid, we wiped so hard on our first pull, that we had to spend 3 hours recruiting some friends from the better guilds on the server to come clear the entrance for us so we could rez up and gate out. The entire process took about 6 hours. I stayed on (as one of the few high lvl clerics), and healed the uber players as they cleared the zone, and they handed me gear that dropped like candy. I didn't make any mistakes and followed their directions through the very, very dangerous zone, and with lots of hard work, eventually I became one of those uber players. No other MMO has been able to capture that experience. I guess there is something to be said for your first time.

aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby aaron » Fri May 02, 2008 7:20 am

I hate video games. (I sit in front of a goddamn computer all day long...the last way I want to spend my evenings or weekends is doing more of the same.)

LOVE board games though:

1) Yahtzee
2) Trivial Pursuit (still)
3) Uno
4) Scrabble

I also REALLY miss pinbill machines. (I used to be a fucking pinball wizard...)

(Which reminds me: Anyone know where I could possibly buy a pinball machine for home??)

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri May 02, 2008 9:22 am

aaron wrote: I hate video games.

Wrong Forum, hombre.

aaron wrote:(Which reminds me: Anyone know where I could possibly buy a pinball machine for home??)

Wait until next year's Midwest Classic. I saw not only tons of Pinball machines for sale, but enough parts to build or restore one.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri May 02, 2008 9:30 am

1. Zelda Series
2. Sega 2K Sports (pretty much all of them)
3. Mario Kart Series
4. Lux (Computer Risk clone with loads of maps)
5. Virtua Fighter Series (Soul Calibur a close 6th)

(Honorable Mention: All Mario Games, Burnout Series, Forza and Gran Tourismo, Star Wars Battlefront)

mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby mcs_madison » Fri May 02, 2008 2:17 pm

Halo3
Mass Effect
DDO - Stormreach
Neverwinter Nights Series
Baldurs Gate Series

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri May 02, 2008 3:00 pm

It's too hard to pick all time favorites. How about just listing recent stuff I love?

Rock Band
Half Life 2 / Orange Box
Bioshock
Oblivion

Maybe WoW counts too. Maybe not. I haven't played it for a very long time, but I really loved it until it got boring. By what standard are MMORPGs judged? If judged in the context of "never-ending game", it's a good one, and I got a lot of enjoyment out of it, but have no desire to ever play it again.

As for scrabble and the like... I prefer Heximania, Ingenious, Blokus, Apples to Apples, and Acquire.

Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby Frank Booth » Fri May 02, 2008 3:20 pm

Adventure Construction Set
Pool Of Radiance
Bard's Tale
Doom II
Halo series

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Sun May 04, 2008 12:02 am

Frank Booth wrote:Bard's Tale

FUNNIEST game I ever played. Nice list.

MCS - we would probably get along fairly well.

TA - with you on the Rock Band. My friends and I are shredding as I type.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon May 05, 2008 5:18 pm

Baldur's Gate II- in my mind, still the greatest game ever made.

Tomb Raider- even the bad ones were good, including the oft-panned "Revelation."

Heroes of Might and Magic III- I don't even want to guess at the number of hours I put into playing this game.

Half Life- Immersive story in an FPS? When I got sick of being Gordon Freeman, I tried my hand at Counter Strike, which was equally engaging.

Morrowind/Oblivion- huge, open-ended adventuring with virtually limitless things to do.

Honorable mention: Star Wars series (the FPS ones), Clive Barker's Undying, Farcry, the original Unreal, American McGee's Alice.

I was careful to avoid the MMORPGs (I knew I'd get hooked) until my nine year-old nephew begged me to help him figure out how to earn money in "Runescape." The graphics are pretty weak and the training is mostly tedium, but I've had a lot of fun playing it and it's only $5/month, so I can pay for his and my membership for less than a single membership to the others. Also, you can play it for free if you want (less content) and there's nothing really to even download as the entire game is simply played in a java window.

And yeah, it's addictive, just like the other MMORPGs.

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Wed May 07, 2008 1:02 pm

Beer Moon wrote:Unreal Tournament changed online shooters for me, with pure unadulterated free-for-all competition, and it sets a bar for visceral online gameplay that I continually compare other games to. HEADSHOT!!

UT was fun but the best thing was finding the Editor that came with, which I thought was the coolest thing since cottage cheese. Not that I think cottage cheese is cool or anything but...well never mind.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”