DVD-R Players

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:02 am

Siskel and Ebert once had an argument about the best way to store VCR tapes. Ebert was the more fastideous of the two. Siskel asserted that his less than neatly stored (on their sides, not ends) tapes played just as well. I've got premium tapes, concerts and shows, stored in one big shoe box, no jackets, recorded on an RCA, that are fabulous.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:44 am

they still keep LPs in the library of congress because its a format thats proven to still be usable after 50+ years. DVD haven't been around that long.

and after reading this
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/CD-Rs-life ... think.html

I'm not convinced home made digital media will last very long. On the other hand if you make a fresh copy every 2 years it should be fine.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:01 pm

Is there a limit to the number of individual recordings one can make on one DVD-RW?

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:03 pm

The Daily Page: MadMind's Google

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:07 pm

Shipley wrote:Keep your tapes in a cool dry place.

Stored vertically, so the tape 'hangs' off the reels. Also good to take tapes out for a spin once in a while so that sections of tape aren't always pressed against the same neighboring sections.

Shipley wrote:blank DVDs will degrade and be unreadable in 5-10 years.

Haven't heard that one.
Best estimates on the lifespan of replicated DVDs is about 100 years. Of course who knows if we'll have any players available at that point ... ?
The lifespan of duplicated DVD-R/+R discs is roughly estimated to be between 50-100 years.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:32 pm

supaunknown wrote:
Shipley wrote:Keep your tapes in a cool dry place.

Stored vertically, so the tape 'hangs' off the reels. Also good to take tapes out for a spin once in a while so that sections of tape aren't always pressed against the same neighboring sections.

Shipley wrote:blank DVDs will degrade and be unreadable in 5-10 years.

Haven't heard that one.
Best estimates on the lifespan of replicated DVDs is about 100 years. Of course who knows if we'll have any players available at that point ... ?
The lifespan of duplicated DVD-R/+R discs is roughly estimated to be between 50-100 years.

Not that I'm careful with them or anything, but the lifespan of my own duplicated CDs in my car is about 2 months.

Yes, I am a sloppy, filthy man.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:39 am

fisticuffs wrote:
MadMind wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:No RCA or S-Video outs on your TV? Do you have a VCR you can go in first?

Only audio outs on the TV, and this combo player is replacing the old VCR - so no.

Guess you gotta pony up for the RF box then.

I tried plugging the coax into a DTV converter and the DTV converter into the DVD-R player just for kicks - that doesn't work.

I guess they don't want you to use a DVD-R to record television programs!
Even if it did work, you couldn't use a DVD-RW like a blank VHS tape if you do what I do and record on one deck then watch it on another, since you have to finalize the disc to make it compatible with other DVD players (which defeats the purpose of having a rewriteable disc). Unless of course you had the exact same model DVD-R player...

It's only now that I realize just how much less versatile DVD-R players are than VCR's.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:06 pm

MadMind wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:
MadMind wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:No RCA or S-Video outs on your TV? Do you have a VCR you can go in first?

Only audio outs on the TV, and this combo player is replacing the old VCR - so no.

Guess you gotta pony up for the RF box then.

I tried plugging the coax into a DTV converter and the DTV converter into the DVD-R player just for kicks - that doesn't work.

I guess they don't want you to use a DVD-R to record television programs!
Even if it did work, you couldn't use a DVD-RW like a blank VHS tape if you do what I do and record on one deck then watch it on another, since you have to finalize the disc to make it compatible with other DVD players (which defeats the purpose of having a rewriteable disc). Unless of course you had the exact same model DVD-R player...

It's only now that I realize just how much less versatile DVD-R players are than VCR's.

Technology has moved away from things that are less convenient - like VHS. Your perception is incorrect because you are trying to apply the old way of doing things on a VHS tape to new technology which allows other methods that are more efficient.

To record over the air signals, grab a USB tuner for your computer, and just record the TV to your hard drive first. Then you'll be free to record it to DVD and watch it on your TV if you want - or you could put it in just about any other format - something for your iPod - or even YouTube if you're hankering to get sued.

It's cheaper to store it on your hard drive - and also you can edit it before you burn it to remove commercials if you want. You can pretty much do just about anything that way.

USB Tuners are fairly inexpensive these days - they used to be hundreds, now good ones are less than $100.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:16 pm

which goes back to a page 1 suggestion that stand-alone decks aren't worth it, use a PC, or get a DVR.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:51 pm

Beer Moon wrote:To record over the air signals, grab a USB tuner for your computer, and just record the TV to your hard drive first. Then you'll be free to record it to DVD and watch it on your TV if you want.

In what world is that easier than programming your VCR?

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:20 am

MadMind wrote:
Beer Moon wrote:To record over the air signals, grab a USB tuner for your computer, and just record the TV to your hard drive first. Then you'll be free to record it to DVD and watch it on your TV if you want.

Once you have the tuner and tuner software set up, all you do is pick the show and tell it to record it. It's easier, because you'll be selecting the show instead of guessing the time it will be aired.

The problem with setting a VCR to record - and the reason DVRs and new recording devices don't work the same way - is that you set the device to record over a time when you think the program will air, as opposed to telling it that you want to record a specific show (or series - reruns, new-run only, etc).

I want to record Lost this season - all the new shows. It takes me 2 clicks to do this on my DVR. All I do is click - I don't need to know what time the show will air or any weeks off that the show takes from new episodes - it's all taken care of.

You only think your way is easy and effective because you already know how to do it that way, and you have accepted the drawbacks that come along with it.

Is the new way EASIER than the old way that you already know how to do? Nothing new that you have to learn is as easy as the old thing you used to do. Usually it's better, and that's why people buy the new stuff and take the time to learn.

You have to plan ahead and know all the different things you want to do. Otherwise you'll keep getting one-off solutions and you'll never be happy.

Quite frankly, it would be real easy to do if not for the copy protection and the MPAA, so don't blame us for all this complexity. The computer is the only way to get around it.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:11 am

Beer Moon wrote:
MadMind wrote:

Once you have the tuner and tuner software set up, all you do is pick the show and tell it to record it. It's easier, because you'll be selecting the show instead of guessing the time it will be aired.

Quite frankly, it would be real easy to do if not for the copy protection and the MPAA, so don't blame us for all this complexity. The computer is the only way to get around it.

I agree that DVR's are probably easier.
Recording a show onto your computer, and then burning it onto a DVD-R so you can watch it on your television however is not. More steps, more time consuming.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:56 am

MadMind wrote:I agree that DVR's are probably easier.
Recording a show onto your computer, and then burning it onto a DVD-R so you can watch it on your television however is not. More steps, more time consuming.

Maybe not, but even with the $80 USB Tuner and the cost of DVDs, it's far cheaper than subscribing to a cable service simply for the use of the DVR. It also affords you the flexibility to play those DVDs anywhere you like, whereas the DVR will only allow you to play the content on devices that the DVR is connected to. Unless you add a sling box, or connected your computer display to your TV (which is usually fairly easy on HDTVs).

At any rate - you get the idea - each option has its own drawbacks and benefits.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re:

Postby Shorty » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:04 pm

MadMind wrote:Is there a limit to the number of individual recordings one can make on one DVD-RW?

They say hundreds or thousands or recordings can be made on a DVD-RW but in reality I think it's less.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Re: DVD-R Players

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:32 pm

Can anyone tell me if there are Blu-Ray players similar to the Magnavox MDR513H-F7 DVD-R player with a built-in hard drive?

Return to “Technology & Video Games”