DVD-R Players

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue May 13, 2008 4:26 pm

MadMind wrote:And just out of pure curiosity, just how easy/difficult is it to make copies of copyrighted DVD's on your PC DVD-R using some sort of program?

Anyone dare to answer this question?
And remember, it's perfectly legal to make backups of copyrighted VHS/DVD's which you own!

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue May 13, 2008 4:36 pm

And remember, it's perfectly legal to make backups of copyrighted VHS/DVD's which you own!

Is it? I know the RIAA has made the case that it doesn't work that way with music.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed May 14, 2008 9:40 am

fisticuffs wrote:

Is it? I know the RIAA has made the case that it doesn't work that way with music.

FAIR USE!

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed May 14, 2008 10:07 am

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap12.html

Circumvention of Copyright Protection systems. This has nothing to do with Fair Use.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed May 14, 2008 11:45 am

fisticuffs wrote:http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap12.html

Circumvention of Copyright Protection systems. This has nothing to do with Fair Use.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed May 14, 2008 12:57 pm

I'm now archiving Season 5 of the Wire to DVD. I don't know if it's because I fit 2 episodes per disc on a 4.7gb disc or what, but the video is really bright compared to the original. The overall quality is otherwise the same. I suppose I could tweak the video settings somehow, but it seems weird to me that any program would by default increase brightness when transcoding.

Anyone else notice that?

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri May 16, 2008 9:11 am

MadMind wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:Guess you gotta pony up for the RF box then.

But aren't those for converting RCA to Coax and not the other way around?

Yeah I'm pretty sure you can't use an RF Modulator to upconvert Coax to RCA. Anyone know of a part to solve this little problemo?

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:57 pm

MadMind wrote:
Beer Moon wrote:There are many ways to skin a cat.

There are many ways to skin a cat.

You are only going to get advice as good as your description of your needs, and the audience you are talking to. My first step in doing something like this that I have never done is to search Google. I usually spend several hours (sometimes I get lucky and it takes only a few minutes) reading about what other people have done, what equipment and software they have used, and finally finding the combination of free tools available for me to accomplish what I want.

It ain't easy, but I like the knowing and the doing, even when it is frustrating. If you aren't thirsty for that kind of knowledge, troubleshooting, and the associated sense of accomplishment that goes along with finally getting it done on your own terms, then contact a local dubbing place and shell out some clams and be done with it.

Most of those articles reference the PC route and not stand-alone players, but I've deducted that I will need a macrovision remover to make DVD backups of my (owned) copyrighted VHS tapes.
Now I just have to decide on one, and online comparisons are hard to come by.

http://www.dimax.com.ua/common/default.shtml
http://www.checkhere22.com/stabilizer/
http://quaindinc.stores.yahoo.net/bvistfordvda.html

I don't suppose anyone has any experience with them or somebody would've already piped in?

THIS is one of the only threads I can find on comparisons of digital video stabilizer's - and everyone has something different to say and no real unanimous decision is reached on which is best.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:40 am

Another problem with the DVD-R.
If you have recorded material on VHS from over-the-air television with reception that wasn't perfect - prepare for a botched recording with freezes every other minute and "unable to read disc" messages.
A good reason to review the disc before finalizing it if you're dubbing to a DVD-RW, like I was, since blank DVD-RW's are like $1 a disc, and you cannot erase a DVD-RW and start from scratch after you've finalized it.
Archive those rare old tapes! Yeah right.
Another reason to purchase a video stabilizer :-(

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:31 am

But DVD-R discs are twenty cents a piece.

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:23 am

fisticuffs wrote:

And you're siding with the RIAA?

What, was Satan's line busy?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:32 am

And you're siding with the RIAA?

What, was Satan's line busy?

No I was just playing the antagonist. You might know a little something about that.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:24 pm

I am nearly fed up with my stand-alone DVD-R.
I've received the "cannot record program" error off of tapes which should have gone through without a hitch. Most recently I got the error off of a tape which was the same brand of tape I used prior, which worked just fine, recording the same program, which worked just fine.
And I'm pretty sure I hadn't ever recorded anything else on the tape. Explain that one!

If someone can recommend a stand-alone DVD-R with;
A) Limited copyright protection
B) Coaxial input/outputs
C) Settings to allow recordings of programs with poor reception without getting a glitchy disc.
then let me know, and I'll dump my current one on Ebay or something.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:40 pm

Keep your tapes in a cool dry place.

blank DVDs will degrade and be unreadable in 5-10 years.

You already own the best backup system.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:47 am

Shipley wrote:Keep your tapes in a cool dry place.

blank DVDs will degrade and be unreadable in 5-10 years.

You already own the best backup system.

Oh c'mon now. "Manufacturers claim life spans ranging from 30 to 100 years for DVD-R and DVD+R discs and up to 30 years for DVD-RW, DVD+RW and DVD-RAM."

Return to “Technology & Video Games”