DVD-R Players

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:17 pm

MadMind wrote:I'm confused about something.
The best recording quality on DVD gets you 1 hour, yet the best recording quality on VHS gets you 2.
So say you're making a copy of a 2 hour VHS tape recorded at SP onto DVD. Since a copy is only as good as it's source material, would using the 2-hour DVD-R setting be no better/worse than the 1-hour setting?
I want the best transfer, yet I don't want to split each VHS tape into two DVD-R's.

The quality of a two-hour DVD is much better than that of a two-hour tape, so you won't lose anything.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:27 pm

Then the question becomes, could I use the 4 hour DVD-R setting without losing any quality from 2-hour VHS tapes?

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:40 pm

MadMind wrote:Then the question becomes, could I use the 4 hour DVD-R setting without losing any quality from 2-hour VHS tapes?

The four-hour DVDs I've burned look bad, so I'm thinking the setting might make crappy-looking VHS tapes look even worse. I'd stick to two hours.
Last edited by Kenneth Burns on Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:08 pm

Is there a 3-hour setting since alot of movies are between two and three hours?

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:09 pm

Not on my (admittedly low-end) burner.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:33 pm

Seems to me it makes absolutely no sense not to have a 3-hour recording option available.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:45 pm

This is exactly why I'm steering clear of such an outdated format. DVD is a digitl codec over 10 years old, Mpeg-2. Most video online is a lot slimmer running on Mpeg-4. I can fit several movies on a single DVD that I burn if I don't stick to the default playback method. divx or mp4 ftw.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:00 am

Ok, I picked up a stand-alone DVD-R/VHS combo player.
First problem I've noticed is that it doesn't come equipped with coax input/outputs!
I suppose they make coax-to-RCA converters, so now a trip to Radioshack is required if I want to record TV shows on my new player.

MadMind wrote:Seems to me it makes absolutely no sense not to have a 3-hour recording option available.

And it looks like this is the case with DVD-R. Next step up from 2 hours is 4 hours. That doesn't make any sense! Is this simply to discourage the pirating of 2+ hour movies at a higher level of quality?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:20 am

Your TV doesn't have any other output? Not sure how you're set up but Coax is pretty much the way in to the house to the cable box or modem. From there it isnt really used much anymore.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:48 am

fisticuffs wrote:Your TV doesn't have any other output? Not sure how you're set up but Coax is pretty much the way in to the house to the cable box or modem. From there it isnt really used much anymore.

No need for cable boxes when all your TV's are cable-ready and you don't have any movie-channels/do not order PPV. Besides, I believe Charter charges rental fee's for cable boxes. They are unecessary.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:00 am

No RCA or S-Video outs on your TV? Do you have a VCR you can go in first? No Cable boxes aren't necessary but they are fun. We have the new HDMI equipped DVR box. It doesn't look as nice as the MOXI did but it works and works faster.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:10 am

fisticuffs wrote:No RCA or S-Video outs on your TV? Do you have a VCR you can go in first?

Only audio outs on the TV, and this combo player is replacing the old VCR - so no.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:16 am

Guess you gotta pony up for the RF box then.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon May 05, 2008 9:36 am

Two things I didn't expect.
There is infact a noticeable degredation in quality in making a direct dub from video-tape to a DVD-R on the 2 hour setting. I was surprised at this. I was expecting an exact copy. But I compared still screens between the original and the copy, and the copy isn't as bright and is more washed out/not as sharp.
I haven't tried the 1 hour setting to see if that comes closer to the original, but having to split a 2 hour tape into two DVD's just to match the quality of the original would kind of defeat the purpose.

The other thing I didn't expect?
There are certain tapes that the unit will not allow me to copy to DVD! It gives me a message that says something along the lines of "this program is not allowed to be copied" error E25 and stops the dub.
Now granted these are copies of (copyrighted) VHS/DVD's on VHS, but how in the world would that information transfer over to your standard blank tape? Is it just rejecting the brand name of tape? If I use an external VCR will that solve the problem and allow me to put it to DVD?
Last edited by MadMind on Wed May 07, 2008 11:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon May 05, 2008 9:52 am

For the amount of money you spent on the DVD-R and Discs and the amount of time you are taking to dub everything over you could have just scoured the internets for actual DVD copies of whatever VHS tapes you really wanted to preserve. Half.com Amazon eBay or your local Pre-Played or Blockbuster.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”