New, Bare-Bones PC

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

New, Bare-Bones PC

Postby MadMind » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:37 am

Ok, I'm gettin' tired of everyone making fun of me for running Windows B.C. and things like Lotus Word - I need a new PC.
I already have a newer monitor and new printer, so all that's really necessary is the PC itself (preferrably with a DVD/CD burner).
People have been telling me I can score one for about $300, so that's what I'm looking to spend.

All suggestions welcome.
Last edited by MadMind on Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: New, Bare-Bones, PC

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:30 am

Consider an eMachines desktop. It won't break any speed records, but it'll be serviceable for basic tasks, and there's a one-year warranty if anything goes wrong. And it'll be a big upgrade from your old rig. I see that one is being offered for $299. Comes with CD/DVD burner.

I got an eMachines desktop in 2004, and it's still going strong. I've upgraded the RAM and the video over the years.

http://emachines.com/products/catalog.h ... e=desktops

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:55 am

Unfortunately it doesn't look like the $299 model is being offered anywhere.
The next model up is available at Bestbuy, and just look over the horrible reviews these emachines get. That worries me.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:02 pm

It really isn't going to matter much which brand you buy. They all come from the same pool of components. for you $299 you;d be best off with a nicer year old machine. No Centrino processors or eMachines. What will make your experience more enjoyable is setting up a user as an administrator and one as you. Don't give your profile a lot of abilities. This will help keep the coming onslaught of Malware, viruses a little better at bay. Or buy a Mac.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:07 pm

Also have them load it with XP. NOT Vista. Vista is a train wreck fucking mess right now.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:07 pm

Oh, I'm aware of eMachines' reputation. But I've had a positive experience and would buy another one for low-impact tasks. I wouldn't buy one for video production.

One of those negative reviewers reports that their power supply failed after a year -- but that model only came out in January. So make of the pan what you will.

The advantage of buying new is the warranty.

square
Forum Addict

Postby square » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:17 pm

I bought an eMachine in 2003 and only now is it starting to crack. I just picked up a new laptop for $550 that comes with 2 gbs ram and a 250 gb hard drive. if the plastic holds up better than on my current computer, then it'll still be relevant in a couple years. $550 is pretty good.

mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Re: New, Bare-Bones PC

Postby mcs_madison » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:57 pm

MadMind wrote:Ok, I'm gettin' tired of everyone making fun of me for running Windows B.C. and things like Lotus Word - I need a new PC.
I already have a newer monitor and new printer, so all that's really necessary is the PC itself (preferrably with a DVD/CD burner).
People have been telling me I can score one for about $300, so that's what I'm looking to spend.

All suggestions welcome.

Build your own! Seriously, I've built my last 2 PC and now, for less than $800, I've got a machine that'll rival any XPS or other gaming rig.

You can get Motherboard/CPU bundles or full bare bones systems from Tigerdirect for well under $500. All you have to do is put them together and throw on an OS. If you can hook up a DVR, you can build a PC.

Just my opinion...I'll never buy another OEM PC again.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:00 pm

I built my last 2 before I went Mac. mwave.com. Cheap. Motherboard bundles installed in case with RAM. you supply the Hard Drive and whatever else. Optical drive etc. A lot of boards will have sound cards and video cards on board already.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:16 pm

If you are keen on something with a warranty, you should probably look at some big-box refurbs (like the Dell Outlet store) or sales of preconfigured machines that were returned and barely used, maybe an open box item (none of these are usually barebones).

Newegg has many different bare-bones offerings. Note that "barebones" indicates that you will separately purchase and install a processor, hard-drive (~$60) and optical drive (CD/DVD Burner ~$25) in order to complete it. Usually RAM too.

Given what you are describing as your current usage, I suspect that a barebones machine is probably not the kind of thing you are looking for.

Generally we just refer to fully-configured desktop computers without monitors, mouse and keyboard as "computers". Most of the time, monitors are not included in the price - or can easily be excluded for the cost of the individual devices when the purchase is made.

My advice would be to look for something with an 80GB Hard Drive and 1GB of RAM or more. 512MB of RAM will SUCK HORRIBLY no matter what you do.

I can easily find several candidates in the Dell Outlet for you, then there is the Compaq Presario line and as previously mentioned there are E-machines too. However, most of these are in the $4-500 range, not many are close to $300. A new Dell Inspirion might work, but it will also be more like $400 than $300.

To really actually get a $300 computer that doesn't wholly suck, you will probably end up buying a real computer geek's old hardware that he has likely hammered for a few years before you got it (this is how most of my friends have ended up with computers). Sometimes, good gear from 2 years ago is often still better than bottom of the line new gear from this year or last year - which is what you will probably find in those $4-500 machines.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:35 pm

Ok then, I'm looking for one of these new-fangled "com-put-ers".
I'm sure I could piece one together, problem is, I DON'T WANT TO!

I don't want to put in the effort. I just want a new computer on the cheap. I don't want to have to shop around for a used/refurb PC. But I also don't want to spend upwards of $400 - because I'm cheap!
I'm not looking for a gaming computer. Just something to surf the internet and run programs and such.

mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby mcs_madison » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:45 pm

MadMind wrote:Ok then, I'm looking for one of these new-fangled "com-put-ers".
I'm sure I could piece one together, problem is, I DON'T WANT TO!

I don't want to put in the effort. I just want a new computer on the cheap. I don't want to have to shop around for a used/refurb PC. But I also don't want to spend upwards of $400 - because I'm cheap!
I'm not looking for a gaming computer. Just something to surf the internet and run programs and such.

Jeeze...You said all suggestions welcome. Dell Outlet is probally your best bet then. Good Luck.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:35 am

spending $300 on a new pc is like buying a Yugo. Why bother. Why not double it and spend a paycheck on something that should last 5 years? You'll be ble to listen to music, watch YouTube videos, get high-speed internet, download stripper videos, and won't have to upgrade in 2 years when all the software you have is too powerful for your slow chip and lack of memory. No one will make fun of your Commodore64 anymore.

get one with 2G of memory and at least 80G of disk space. Why not be happy.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:47 am

Honestly, I think $400 is not unreasonable and it will last you 4 years given your usage, so bite the bullet and get something brand new from Dell or Best Buy.

Take the included mouse and keyboard and sell them on E-Bay if you want to recoup some of that extra $100 you spent.

Think about it this way: Windows costs $100! A $300 purchase only leaves $200 worth of hardware. This is going to be very low quality stuff. Add another C-note and you'll end up with much more capable technology.

If you don't mind Ubuntu (LINUX), you could go for the Everex $200 PC.

Of course, everyone will still make fun of you, because it has a VIA processor. Also, only 512MB of RAM, which is pretty lame in my book, but I can't discount it because I don't know what that build of Ubuntu really needs for hardware.

lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:43 am

I bought my last desktop machine through the Dell outlet (open box iten, IIRC) for under 3 bills and then spent a bit extra to upgrade the RAM.

So it's doable. And the machine is motherfucker at running XP.

(Also, I agree with the previous poster that you should avoid Vista like the fucking plague.)

Return to “Technology & Video Games”