Super Smash Bros Brawl

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Super Smash Bros Brawl

Postby Shipley » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:53 pm

The 3rd in the ultimate Nintendo fan service series comes out on SUNDAY. Anyone have launch plans? A few stores are doing midnight sales. I'm going to play until I pass out overnight.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:16 pm

I am becoming less excited over time. Seems like the wii remote is really inadequate and one is better off with a classic controller or gamecube controller. So it's not very "wii-ish" aside from online gameplay.

It also seems to be taking the Mortal Kombat "throw everything we've ever done into one game" approach which for me is neither here nor there.

Going to wait a while before I buy it, probably.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:51 pm

With this and Mario kart I actually really appreciate that Nintendo is not forcing me to use motion control. I think they'd alienate more people than they'd bring in asking us to waggle for smashes. 1st party gamecube pads are hard to come by now walmart and target don't carry them anymore, and the last time I was in a game stop they only had 2. Wavebird wireless pads are COMPLETELY out of production now, so you'd have to dig into used shops or find them online.

There are a couple characters who didn't come back, and they've eliminated move clones. The loss of Dr Mario and Mewtwo makes me sad, but the massive addtions will balance it out.

Sure, Mortal Kombat might've messed up the method of throwing in everything, but Marvel vs Capcom, Cap Vs SNK, and Kingdom Hearts didn't.

6.5 years after the last game, its still one of the most fun party games we pull out. It'll be sad to put it out the pasture.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:18 pm

I guess I just wish Nintendo would push the envelope of the Wii a little more. It's their console. If they aren't going to be delivering games that take advantage of their hardware, who will?

I'm sure the game will be fun, but I was just hoping for something a little more revolutionary in the series.

Mario Kart at least will come with a wheel (allegedly).

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:28 pm

one blogger called the wheel terrible, I'm not holding out any hope for it. I'll try it, but i've got my gamecube and classic controller ready to go if its not good.

Not everything has to be revolutionary. sometimes you can't improve, and sometimes improving does more harm than good. Street Fighter III was a thousand times better than Street Fighter II, but it was so complex, deep, and nuanced that it turned off anyone who isn't hardcore. Smash has that sweet spot of being the type of silly fun that only used 2 buttons for fighting in the first place.

I don't know, I just think that the Wii needs a few more core games like this to balance out the casual games and the coming eurotrash PS2 ports.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:53 pm

well the game comes out at Midnight tonight, I'll be at Software ETC in West Towne for the launch event.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:58 pm

Looking forward to your evaluation. I could use a new Wii Game. Hear anything about the Destroy All Humans for the Wii? I got some enjoyment out of the first one back in the day.

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:06 pm

My friend is picking it up tonight at midnight and we're going to play it until the sun comes up.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:47 pm

after about 3 solid hours of playing and only unlocking one character and barely scratching the surface of single player, I can say Brawl will take a while to reach 100%.

I'm having a blast. I'll do a more thoughtful writeup later...

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:33 pm

SO I finished the first 20 events and I'm at 22% of the Subspace Emissary mode.

Control with a Gamecube controller or a classic controller is a must.

Unlocking the trophy and sticker collections is fun too, just like in Melee they give you a blurb about the character and the game it came from.

There is a museum with demos of games like Kirby's Adventure, Mario Bros, Star Fox 64... all games that are on Virtual Console. its almost a shame they didn't allow you to play the full games, but then they surely would've raised the price for that.

$50 is still a lot of money to spend on a game, but at least Nintendo knows how make it worth your while. For a fighter the amount of stuff you can do on your own is staggering, and when you bring in a friend, you can do co-op on the single player adventure and 4 players battles like before in Brawl mode.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:23 pm

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:40 pm

So did you like it? :D

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:45 pm

So what's the scoop on the wii mote? Is it possible you'd get used to it over time?

Seems like I'll be buying this when I get back from vacation. On the other hand, played rock band for the first time last night and now, between that and the death of HD DVD, I'm considering blowing my tax refund on a PS3 and Rock Band. If only you could play smash brothers with a guitar hero guitar...

Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darthcrank » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:03 pm

As a new owner of a Wii myself, I also am wondering how the typical Wii controllers handle games like this. From the sounds of it, you can use older Nintendo controllers, right?

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:28 pm

Gamecube controllers plug into the top of the Wii, and are the preferred control method for most. I also tried using the classic controller and found that the only thing wrong with it was the lack of grips.

in the options you can also customize your controls for your profile, so if you want A and B reversed, its not a problem.

buying a gamecube controller is money well spent. I'd reccomend hunting down a 1st party one, either used or new. the walmarts and targets only carry third party ones these days, so go to a game store.

I've already put 4 and a half hours into the story mode and i'm only 50% done. the scenarios are ridiculous, with Samus Aran and Pikachu raiding a weapons factory, and comedy in the cutscenes is suprising. I laugh any time Diddy Kong comes on screen. Of course, this is only one mode, and event matches, online play, arena challenges, and solo tournament can all be done on your own before you even dip into the highly replayable multiplayer.

Did i mention you can make your own stages now? I built one entirely out of ladders and moving platforms and was kind of amazed at how playable it was in spite of what I did.

so yes, BUY IT. this and Mario kart go right with Wii Sports for parties as far as I'm concerned.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”