Pinball Hall Of Fame - The Williams Collection

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Pinball Hall Of Fame - The Williams Collection

Postby MadMind » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:56 pm

Feb 26, 2008 on Wii, PS2, and PSP

Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection
Includes such titles as; Black Knight, Firepower, Funhouse, Gorgar, Pin*Bot, Space Shuttle, Taxi, and Whirlwind.
The Wii and PSP versions also contain Jive Time and Sorcerer. Jive Time and Sorcerer are exclusive to the Wii/PSP versions.
I realize I may be but one of few excited over this upcoming game, but I had plenty of fun with PHOF: The Gottlieb Collection, and I've always wondered why more compilations of authentic pinball tables as found in arcades haven't been released.

I know two people who have Gorgar in their basement. Maybe having the video pinball version can help me gain a few pointers.

EDIT: For whatever reason the majority of brick & mortar stores do not carry this title. The internet/Amazon is going to be your best bet.
Last edited by MadMind on Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:04 am, edited 6 times in total.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:01 pm

the biggest problem with video pinball is the lack of a real table or authentic control.

I'm always questioning ball physics and accuracy, which I never do on a table.

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:11 pm

Besides, a real pinball machine is much cooler instead of just on your TV.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:13 pm

Back in the day I was really good at F-14 Tomcat.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pinball Hall Of Fame - The Williams Collection

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:17 pm

Not Williams, and apropos of nothing, but the best pinball evar was Hercules. Look at the size of that thing. (Look at the size of that Silicon Valley hippie's hair.)

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:29 pm

Whenever you talk video pinball you get a bunch of naysayers and pinball purists. Look, I know it's not perfect, and probably never will be. But it's better than nothing and if nothing else it's an accessible and inexpensive way to archive and preserve old pinball games.
I have read that the developers have went to great lengths to ensure that the tables look & play as authentic as possible.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:54 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Not Williams, and apropos of nothing, but the best pinball evar was Hercules. Look at the size of that thing. (Look at the size of that Silicon Valley hippie's hair.)

Yes! I was all ready to make a joke about the size of Hercules and requiring a widescreen TV set.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:00 pm

MadMind wrote:Whenever you talk video pinball you get a bunch of naysayers and pinball purists. Look, I know it's not perfect, and probably never will be. But it's better than nothing and if nothing else it's an accessible and inexpensive way to archive and preserve old pinball games.
I have read that the developers have went to great lengths to ensure that the tables look & play as authentic as possible.

If this is the case, then I'll be just fine with the game.

though I'd like to see some really insane havok/renderware, unreal, or source engine pinball. an original pinball game that can do more than any table could...

Philb

Postby Philb » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:03 am

We got this for our Wii at the Super Target over in Fitchburg for $19.99.

Easily the best pinball game I've played to date. The Wii controls make it feel like an actual board, and it lets you shake the machine really well. Do it too much and you'll get a TILT.

It has ten classic games, a bunch of unlockables, and a fantastic tournament mode. We can't stop playing and trying to beat each others scores.

The physics for the games feel spot on. The ball feels like it should, and not like a floaty ping pong ball like in other pinball games.

We also got a change to visit the Pinball World Museum in Las Vegas a few weeks back and got to play all of these games in real life, and I can tell you that they play almost 99% the same.

If you're a pinball fan, go out and get this game before it's gone. Not a single bad review has been written about it. The programmers put some real love into making this.

Also, where can you buy PHOF: The Gottlieb Collection? I thought this was only available in the UK. I've been waiting forever for this to come out here in the USA.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:30 am

Philb wrote:Also, where can you buy PHOF: The Gottlieb Collection? I thought this was only available in the UK. I've been waiting forever for this to come out here in the USA.

Try the clearance bin at Circuit City. They should still have some copies for the PS2 for $10 or less.

Philb

Postby Philb » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:40 am

MadMind wrote:
Philb wrote:Also, where can you buy PHOF: The Gottlieb Collection? I thought this was only available in the UK. I've been waiting forever for this to come out here in the USA.

Try the clearance bin at Circuit City. They should still have some copies for the PS2 for $10 or less.

Thanks. I didn't know there was a PS2 version. I'll keep an eye open for it while I wait for the Wii version to come here.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:31 pm

I also have the Wii version and have been playing it. The goals are not all so easy. Some are based on random scoring.
I never did get all the goals on every table on the Gottlieb collection.
So far I got every goal (including Wizard) on Taxi and Gorgar.
How have you fared?

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:27 am

All goals in Space Shuttle, Firepower, and Black Knight - check, check & check.
Over halfway there.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:31 am

OK, I've accomplished all table goals EXCEPT ONE - and this will most likely be my last post under this thread because I can't see myself achieving it, not even just to gloat.

Getting the special from Sorcerer!
To do this, you must spell out S-O-R-C-E-R-E-R five times (or three times then manage to get the ball down the left outlane) - on ONE BALL! I think the most I ever managed was three. I played for at least a half an hour the other night and couldn't even manage one. It has alot to do with luck. VERY FRUSTRATING!
Last edited by MadMind on Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:09 pm

I'm going to go ahead and hijack this topic to ask this question -- Where are the pinball tables in madison? I know of a few out there, but as arcades cease to exist there has to be some stray tables in bars and dives I don't know about.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”