Which streaming media format do you prefer?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

QuickTime
33%
Windows Media
22%
Flash
44%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 9

Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:40 pm

The organization for which I work has been using RealMedia for eight years but we're looking at changing. Our programs are between 30 minutes and several hours long. What do you prefer? Should we offer multiple formats? Does your answer change depending upon the operating system you're using or your internet connection speed?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:43 pm

I dont have a problem with the Windows Media format just the player. Luckily I can play them in quicktime with a simple plug-in.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:09 pm

flash. mac users grumble at WMV files. windows users grumble at installing quicktime/itunes. Linux users grumble at all.

meanwhile, everyone gets to watch youtube, metacafe, etc just fine.

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:19 pm

Google video or whatever it has become now. That way you don't pay anything for bandwidth.

Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:20 pm

I should have specified that we need live streaming as well as archived/on-demand capability. Anyone know of any live streaming solutions that use Flash?

paulie
Forum Addict

Postby paulie » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:33 pm

IMHO, i'd say windows media is the best choice of format, since all PCs come with the player. and as stated above, a simple quicktime plugin is available for Mac users.

as an end user, it does not matter to me at all. i'm prepared. http://www.free-codecs.com they have lightweight adware-free alternatives to the bloatware players that are offered my Microsoft, Apple, and Real Networks. they work awesome and only take up a fraction of the disk space the official players use. 8)

sorry i sound like an advertisement, but i love the apps offered here.

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:43 pm

Ed Breakfast wrote:I should have specified that we need live streaming as well as archived/on-demand capability. Anyone know of any live streaming solutions that use Flash?
Yahoo just released a live streaming service that is free. It might be worth a look.

http://live.yahoo.com/

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:31 am

I use Media Player Classic, and prefer the H.264/AVC codec for its compact size and high picture quality.

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:35 am

Whatever you pick make sure you do tests with your longest material. All the formats work just fine at 5 minutes. Many of the them have serious problems when you go over 45 minutes. Be very careful.

Today I like Flash even if making the files isn't as easy as some formats. They look good and seem to work well on a number of machines. Tomorrow who knows, it continues to be a moving target.

Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:21 pm

Thanks for the input. I'm giving Flash a second look. I had dismissed it a few years back as it's quality was dicey, it didn't lend itself to long programs, and it lacked live encoding tools. It seems those issues may have been resolved. It would seem to be the most platform agnostic format that requires the least amount of effort from the end user.

I like QuickTime because it works well on both major platforms, but I can understand users who don't want to download QuickTime. Although, to be fair, a QuickTime download brings a lot less undesirable crap with it than a RealPlayer download.

Windows Media works fine on Windows machines, but I can't get it to work on a Mac either with Windows Media Player 9 for OS X or with the Microsoft recommended Flip4Mac plug-in for QuickTime Player.

donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:27 pm

Shipley wrote: Linux users grumble at all.

Actually, with mplayer, linux users can watch all of the above. And with the command line utility ffmpeg, can convert between formats with great ease.
But I agree that flash is cross platform like none other.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:41 am

AFAIK, the free version of quicktime (not sure what happens with Pro, because it's ridiculous that I should have to pay to view a video) represents the only streaming video format that cannot be resized, and shows up in a wittel teenie sqware in the middle of my 1900x1200-sized desktop.

Unless you can set that as a preference (resizable video) when you encode the stream or whatever, then I would have to say that free quicktime is the only streaming video that consistently pisses me off.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”