Export iPod playlist

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:39 pm

And its not a stretch to say that ripping a CD is theft. It just happened. It may get overturned but some poor woman in MN just got taken to the cleaners for it. Apple isn't making the rules here they are just playing by them. Those 3rd party applications don't amount to piracy but what you decide to do with them sure can be considered it.

Dark Meat

Postby Dark Meat » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:46 pm

fisticuffs wrote:And its not a stretch to say that ripping a CD is theft. It just happened. It may get overturned but some poor woman in MN just got taken to the cleaners for it.

I'd be amazed if it doesn't get overturned once it's considered by a judge who actually understands copyright law. If it's time to do away with fair use, I guess we can all kiss those book reviews goodbye (those quotes are stealing, ya know). And libraries? Thieves, every damn one of them.

I realize we've run fairly far afield of the original topic here, but if this crap holds up, I really look forward to watching the major labels bankrupt themselves chasing every music listening computer user into court.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:50 pm

Agreed.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:54 pm

Dark Meat wrote:
Shipley wrote:I've been using iTunes since it was called SoundJam MP (and cost money!) and never had a problem with operation.

So what? Have you ever accomplished what the original poster is asking?

Is there something about iTunes that causes one's reading comprehension abilities to deteriorate?

Easy on the attack there buddy. I was responding to folks saying they did or didn't approve of iTunes in general. pop up a couple posts and you'll see..

Shipley wrote:when i plug in an ipod, I can usually see the playlists in iTunes. drag & drop don't work?

A legitimate suggestion to solve the problem posed in the initial posting. as yet theres been no response so I don't know if this does or doesn't work. my first instinct was to help, your first instinct was to make a snide remark and derail the thread toward what is or isn't copyright violation.

Its not my business how far you put your head up your ass, but you should know that affects reading comprehension in a far more detrimental manner than using iTunes.

Dark Meat

Postby Dark Meat » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:04 pm

Shipley wrote:Easy on the attack there buddy.

Sorry for the jab. It just sounded to me like everybody who came on board was making out the OP to be iTunes-impaired, which I thought was sort of unfair considering he's asking a reasonable question.

Shipley wrote:
when i plug in an ipod, I can usually see the playlists in iTunes. drag & drop don't work?

A legitimate suggestion to solve the problem posed in the initial posting. as yet theres been no response so I don't know if this does or doesn't work.

Apologies. It doesn't.

Its not my business how far you put your head up your ass, but you should know that affects reading comprehension in a far more detrimental manner than using iTunes.

This from the "easy on the attack" guy. Since you're so quick to take the higher ground (really didn't think my jab was that big an insult, but maybe it's just that I have my head up my ass, huh?) I'll be sure to avoid interaction with you down the line.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:07 pm

The combative nature of some of these threads seem to have put my own head up my ass now. I'll have to choose my words (and insults!) more carefully. My mistake.

dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dogmeat » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:04 pm

Gee, thanks for the responses I guess.

And guess what, iTunes does suck balls. For no damn reason it continually decides to add random numerical characters to the comment field of the IDV tags which I have to remove periodically. Apparently that's due to a failure with it's volume leveling script. It also randomly decided to duplicate entries for every single music file in my library. Imagine my surprise when my iTunes library doubled in size one day. Why the program wouldn't automatically dismiss duplicate entries that point the same file is beyond me. If you believe iTunes is without bugs, then you're fool.

If iTunes has worked perfectly for you, then lucky you I guess. Normally it works fine without much hassle other than the fact that its a massive resource hog.

I've pretty much given up on recovering that playlist since every method I'd tried has completely failed. Instead of referring to files by their location, iTunes assigns a number to the file, which makes recovering a playlist from the iPod virtually useless. I'm in the process of manually rebuilding the playlist.

And FYI, it's not my lack of computer knowledge or ability to search Google that has led to me asking for a solution. Whether you want to admit it or not, iTunes has bugs and it has for a very long time. I know a lot of people have this mentality that anything Steve Jobs puts his name on is without fault, but that's just stupid. Apple builds plenty faulty products. The iPod is pretty rock solid, but iTunes is a mess. There's a reason a lot of developers have created a huge library of scripts and programs to address the shortcomings of iTunes.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:46 am

Can't you just recreate it? YOu put your cd in, it imports your songs. Then you made a playlist from the songs...do those songs still exist on your itunes?

dogmeat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dogmeat » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:21 pm

Of course I can recreate it, but it's a hassle. This was a large playlist of songs that consisted of every song in my library I really like. It totaled around 2,500 songs. From that large playlist I had a smartplaylist that would select an hour of songs with fewer than a set number of plays. That way I could click the short playlist everyday and not hear the same songs over and over again. It worked out well until iTunes pulled it's little freakout.

spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:06 am

When I hunt-and-peck for that first song I want to hear after opening i Tunes, i just want to click the next song i wanna hear and put that in line, without dragging and dropping to a temporary playlist. Can I do that, if not, who can I call to convince them that they need to make that a possibility?

Return to “Technology & Video Games”