USB Dilemma

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

USB Dilemma

Postby MadMind » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:40 am

I have two USB slots in the back of my PC, but I have double that amount of devices which use USB. Is there a simple solution to this dilemma, like the equivalent of a "Y cable" for USB?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:47 am

You, MadMind, don't know about USB hubs?

Try the USB Squid!

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:48 am

If it's a tower you could buy a PCI card with extra slots. That would probably give you the best performance. Otherwise there are literally thousands of USB Hubs out there to be purchased. Some of them won't power all the units they have slots for without an external power supply which may not come with it or be indicated at all as necessary.

The Center Square
Forum Addict
Location: Above Phyllis Diller & next to Waylan Flowers & Madame

Postby The Center Square » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:06 am

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:25 am

fisticuffs wrote:If it's a tower you could buy a PCI card with extra slots. That would probably give you the best performance.

With my PC, anything where I don't have to install anything would be best. Installing new hardware/software has never, and I mean never gone smoothly on this old PC.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:26 am

Installing new hardware/software has never, and I mean never gone smoothly on this old PC.

Ahhh. Windows. Gotta love it. Buy a Mac.

paulie
Forum Addict

Postby paulie » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:19 am

i knew that was coming. :lol: :roll: now, run along and go back to drooling over the macbook air(fashion accessory) and drinking that delicious kool-aid everyone is talking about.

now to reply to the OP question with a HELPFUL answer unlike the post above, yessir, a hub is what you need. if your devices receive their power from USB(like some scanners and printers), make sure the hub comes with a power supply or they will not work when plugged into the hub. or just plug your power hungry devices into the PC itself, and the others into the hub. if you have no devices that require power, that squid that TBP posted would work like a charm.

also, some advice: you will save at LEAST 30% if you order one of these online. any local retailers will rape your pocketbook with all the markup. i suggest newegg.com

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:37 am

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:43 am

Hmm. Isn't that pretty much the same advice I gave yesterday with the exception of the whole what ever you do don't spend your money in our local economy.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:02 am

fisticuffs wrote:Hmm. Isn't that pretty much the same advice I gave yesterday with the exception of the whole what ever you do don't spend your money in our local economy.

There's nothing local about an electronics device purchased at Best Buy except that you pay the salary for some know-nothing floor/stock boy who gives you shit advice when you try to buy electronics anyway, so I'll take the national approach anyday and give my dosh to a company like Newegg who know good tech when they see it, and provide a better quality forum for getting information and reviewing tech gear.

In short, I'd rather give my cash to a company who cares about the products they sell and the service they provide than go to some "local" big box store and fund some local teenager's booze binge.

Maybe if the Geek Squad wasn't staffed with mostly morons...

frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby frozenCow » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:46 pm

MadMind wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:If it's a tower you could buy a PCI card with extra slots. That would probably give you the best performance.

With my PC, anything where I don't have to install anything would be best. Installing new hardware/software has never, and I mean never gone smoothly on this old PC.

If you really have an old PC (like 4 years old or more) it may have USB 1.0 slots. If that is the case you may want to consider a PCI card to take advantage of the faster speeds available with USB 2.0.

My Dell desktop (vintage October 2001) has USB 1.0 slots. I bought a scanner in 2003 that was considered to be fast because it utilized the speeds of USB 2.0. Because scanning can be time consuming even at a "fast" speed, I installed a PCI card with 4 USB 2.0 slots and plugged the scanner into that. I later got a card reader for the SD media my camera uses, and I have that plugged into one of the USB 2.0 slots too.

Is the speed really that much better? YES. Any device you buy these days (like the USB Hub you are talking about) would be built for USB 2.0. I don't know about USB Hubs, but other USB devices tend to be backwards compatible with USB 1.0 (they just run slower).

Maybe your computer isn't that old, and its already using USB 2.0. In that case just buy the USB Hub. Good luck!

Return to “Technology & Video Games”