Your Gaming Habit

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Your Gaming Habit

Postby Shipley » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:14 pm

How many hours a week do you estimate you pick up a controller or keyboard with the intent of gaming?

How much money would you estimate you spend a month?

I'd wager I'd drop at least 15 hours a week and a hundred bucks a month on games. In times I'm not playing I'm usually reading Kotaku, watching the 1UP show, or writing about games in my blog. and then I work sometimes too.

Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Your Gaming Habit

Postby Veeder » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:13 pm

0 minutes, $0. Get outside, volunteer for a cause. Its an amazing world out there.

mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby mcs_madison » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:36 am

Shipley wrote:How many hours a week do you estimate you pick up a controller or keyboard with the intent of gaming?

How much money would you estimate you spend a month?

I'd wager I'd drop at least 15 hours a week and a hundred bucks a month on games. In times I'm not playing I'm usually reading Kotaku, watching the 1UP show, or writing about games in my blog. and then I work sometimes too.

Not so much lately...About 5hrs/wk and $15/mo in online subcriptions to DDO. Got a few games in mind that should up that after x-mas.

Veeder: I've been in the real world...It scares me. I'm staying right here in my virtual world...They know me here. Fear not I shall tithe to my guild to make up for my being a bad real person.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:15 am

Veeder wrote:0 minutes, $0. Get outside, volunteer for a cause. Its an amazing world out there.

Sounds good, buddy. Does trolling the newspaper's forum count as volunteering? I realize that putting others down makes you feel better, so it must be kinda like a good cause, right.

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:39 am

5-10 hrs a week depending on how busy I am with work. $100 or so a month on games and whatnot.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:49 am

Heh. This won't be pretty.

$200 a year for video upgrades on average, and about 8 to 10 new games a year average about $50 a pop. Just one monthly sub in the last few years.

I would guesstimate that I'm around $60 per month in costs. It's more like $75-80 this year, but this was a new-console year (my last new-console year was 2001).

WoW is the only sub I still have, and I haven't played for months so I'm just waiting for it to expire really.

I went ahead and jumped on the lifetime subscription for LOTRO.

Hours - I would say I average 15 a week and some weeks are way higher, so I would guess 70-75 per month. Less than a dollar an hour sounds about right.

People complain that games and the new hardware is super expensive, but I spend way more per-hour of entertainment on wakeboarding, snowboarding and bowling. Not to mention what I spend on a few hours out at the tavern with friends!!

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:38 pm

Definitely! I've heard some say the $50/year for Xbox Live is too much, but I play enough that I get my money's worth.

My year end costs were pretty high this year for me too, considering I not only got an Xbox360 and a Wii, I also endured some of the most expensive accessories I've purchased: 2 extra 360 pads at $50 each, another Wiimote and nunchuck for $60, component cables for Wii, an Xbox live camera, a guitar... probably more than I realize.

My only hope for 2008 is that I can avoid buying a PS3 or doing significant computer upgrades and play using what I have.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:57 pm

10 hrs. a week on the pc.
no subs.
biggest expense is the 10MB/1MB pipe from Charter.

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:59 pm

I try to keep my purchases down around the magical $20 mark per game. I ussually wait till they go on sale. Most games aren't worth paying $50 for and it won't kill me if I don't have the latest game when it comes out.
Time? Well, it's way too much than I want to admit.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”