Dish Network - Local Stations non-HD?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby aaronetc » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:27 am

jammybastard wrote:I wish I could find a link to post to explain it better, but I'd suggest that if you aren't getting a good signal with the amped antenna you should try a non-amped one.

Tried that too, and got crap. Channels 27 and, more rarely, 3 are sometimes problematic with the amp, but turning it off or using a non-amped antenna means getting nothing watchable at our place. So basically, I can't wait until I have a job in a couple years and can just pay some outrageous cable charges and be done with it.

tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:30 pm

I live just over 3 miles from the HD towers. Bought a circuity city amplified antenna for my TV in the basement, but the antenna didn't work particularly well - lots of dropped signals. After doing a boatload of research, bought a DB2 from this place and have been watching OTA HD happily ever since.

I could probably get away with a cheapie antenna if the TV wasn't in the basement. But according to the stuff I found, most of the super cheap antennas are terrible - they're built more for looks than for receiving a signal.

Lots of good info here as well, some of it quite old. They list the site you can check to see how many miles your house is from the HD towers. Also, the AD site 'splains the difference between UHF and VHF - Fox HD broadcasts in the latter, so your antenna needs to handle both.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:14 pm

tibor wrote:. After doing a boatload of research, bought a DB2 from this place and have been watching OTA HD happily ever since.

I know alot of people who use a DB2 in the attic, and if my rabbit ears hadn't worked I would've gone that way as well.

Ted

Postby Ted » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:29 am

I just ordered a DB2. I did some digging on the Internet yesterday, and the DB2 masquerades as a DTV2BUHF. Do a Google search for that unit and get one for way less $$.

Also did some "research" on the amplified antenna thing, and I stand by my previous statements on getting a good physical raw antenna. However, there have been good points made that an amplifier in the antenna is good for overcoming line loss in long cable. That makes sense. Line loss is significant when you get up to the 30-50 foot lengths. Also, if you go through splitters that cuts the signal too.

So yesterday I built a homemade antenna using a shoebox and a cookie sheet!

http://members.shaw.ca/hdtvantenna/

I was totally shocked when I plugged this sucker in and it worked, in my basement, 15 miles from the towers! It is somewhat marginal though, that's why I ordered the DTV2BUHF. I really need to get outside with the antenna cause I have aluminum siding which makes my whole house a Faraday cage. BTW, if you make this unit, it's even easier than the instructions. Instead of the copper wire "ears" I just peeled back the shield 6" and used that!

Anyway, with my shoebox junk antenna, I had my Dish Network Vip722 scan for local channels, and this is what I get:
003-01 WISC
003-02 MyMa
015-01 WMTV
015-02 WMTV
021-01 WPT1
021-02
021-03
021-04
021-05
027-01 WKOW
057-01 WBUW
057-02 WBUW

Out of that list it seems the only HD is one of the WPT1 channels (This is WHA, Wisconsin Public Television) Notice all the subchannels...

I am not sure if this list is a complete Madison list, because this is just a list of channels the Vip722 could pick up with the shoebox.

Anyone understand what stations are broadcasting in HD?? If you go to the Websites for the TV stations, they don't have a link that explains what all "subchannels" they have, whether it's HD, what frequency, etc... I guess this is top secret stuff. They will give you a link to the latest on Britney's sister, but don't give the dang frequency they're transmitting at!

tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:37 am

Ted wrote:I just ordered a DB2. I did some digging on the Internet yesterday, and the DB2 masquerades as a DTV2BUHF. Do a Google search for that unit and get one for way less $$.

Good find! I paid about $40 for mine, but you're right, the model you mention is less than half that.

Ted wrote:an amplifier in the antenna is good for overcoming line loss in long cable. That makes sense. Line loss is significant when you get up to the 30-50 foot lengths.

From what I've read, if you've got a decent cable you can go up to 75 ft without worrying about boosting the signal. And no, I don't think "decent cable" means the Monster scam. Buy your cables here, they're dirt cheap, cheap shipping, and good quality.

Ted wrote:I am not sure if this list is a complete Madison list

The only station I get that's not listed here is Fox 47. Note that not all HD channels broadcast HD signal all the time - there are times you'll get a 480 show, other shows you'll get 1080 on the same channel. 57-1 is the HD version and 57-2 is the lower res version for that station, but channels 3 and 15 broadcast different content on 3-2 and 15-2, respectively, than they show on their "main" channel.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:06 pm

For lots of local HD poop, check out the Madison HDTV thread on avsforum.com.

Ted

Postby Ted » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:13 pm

Kenneth:
Thanks for the link to the megathread!
Well, the reason I don't get Fox 47 OTA is cause it's channel 11 VHF, not UHF, duh!! So now I guess I need another antenna! Forward to the past!!!

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:19 pm

I feel its worth pointing out that HD signals are stronger and go further than the old analog signals (one of the reasons for the switch) so even if you can't get a station with rabbit ears now, don't rule out that you can't get it with HD. if you buy a set of rabbit ears and it doesn't work, box 'em up and take 'em back. I worked at Radioshack a few years ago and know thats the type of product that if you brough it back within a week or so there no hassle about a refund since it either works for you or doesn't.

Ted

Postby Ted » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:06 pm

I've got the DTV2BUHF UHF antenna mounted outside now. Works great! I even get Channel "47" on it, which is VHF 11, so I don't have to get a seperate VHF antenna! The signal strength is lower than the UHF channels (70 ish as opposed to 95 ish) but that would be expected since it's off-band.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”