Crysis

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Crysis

Postby TAsunder » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:06 pm

So what's everyone's take on crysis? I just got an upgrade that made it reasonable for me to play this. I like it a lot so far, but I'm not very far in. I really need to upgrade to Vista for DX10 I think, because the graphics, while good, are not blowing me away yet.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:18 pm

I thought it was great. Played it on a quad core with a 8600GTS so it wasn't maxed out, but still looked pretty amazing. It starts out like most PFS games, but gets weird and interesting about 1/3rd of the way in.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:13 pm

Played the demo. Won't buy. Certainly not after how disappointing FarCry was.

What is it with those bastards and jungles? The whole damn game is green.

If I ever buy it, it will be bargain bin.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:32 pm

Beer Moon wrote:If I ever buy it, it will be bargain bin.

Should work on most PCs by then too.

I read today this game is bombing bad, like 60,000 copies sold. This is what happens when you build a game that out specs most of the pc gamer market.

Unreal 3 is tanking even worse, but they'll at least make it up with PS3 sales and Xbox 360 sales next year.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:50 am

I will point out that Unreal Tournament 3 is tanking, and Unreal 3 - as far as I know - has not been mentioned as a reality as of yet.

Also, I would like to point out several other games built on the same engine as UT3, which were popular and like all Unreal Engine 3 games thus far - run on both DX10 and DX9 hardware just fine:

Rainbow 6: Vegas
Gears of War
Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

also some of you may have heard of a little game called...

Bioshock

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:56 am

I only mention is because these were supposed to be the biggest PC games this year but it looks like few even care, just going by numbers.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:15 pm

I don't see what the big deal is, it's only going to cost me $350 in upgrades and a new OS to be able to play the game like it was meant to be played. That's a bargain compared to a PS3 and rock band... :wink:

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:28 pm

if you have 3 friends willing to play, rock band is a value at a thousand dollars, trust me.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:59 pm

I'm progressing slowly through crysis. It's noticeably better than farcry so far. Though it still has a lot of jungles and humans, the scenes are more interesting and fun. More tactics involved. The existence of the mega suit adds a lot of possibilities, though the "super strength" one doesn't seem to be all that useful compared to armor, cloak, and speed.

Some quibbles... I find it strange that I can jump on top of a tank but there is no way for me to do anything useful once I do, even though the hatch is open and I have grenades. I also find it odd how many direct hits to the chest from a submachine gun an unarmored guy can take. I've surely perforated both lungs and the throat multiple times, yet the guy can still run around and yell crap on his walkie talkie.

FPS are rather pathetic at the moment ... 15-20 fps on average I'd say. Hopefully some of the online config tweaks will help... I feel like 15-20 can't be right with a dual core x64 and an 8800GT 512mb.

All in all, I'm having quite a lot of fun, as long as it soon moves beyond "kill the koreans" into "kill the squid aliens". I'm all for killing hundreds (perhaps thousands) of north koreans too, but at some point I want to move on to bigger game.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:42 am

I'm all for killing hundreds (perhaps thousands) of north koreans too, but at some point I want to move on to bigger game.

exactly why i never liked WWII shooters! I knew there was never going to be a giant boss encounter! Worse, unless the game is campy, you never get to shoot hitler.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:13 pm

I finished Crysis over the weekend. I'd give it a B- (whereas Bioshock gets a B+, FEAR and Prey a D, and Far Cry a C).

The game was pretty uneven. Too much time spent killing koreans for no obvious reason, too little time spent on the "cool stuff". The last two major battles came wayyy too close together, and the final battle was pathetically easy. The tank battle was the strangest part of the game, simultaneously loads of fun and hair-pullingly frustrating.

There is really no need for the game to require this much horsepower. Seemingly 98% of it is wasted on making the shadows from each individual leaf or blade of grass look just right. I liked the fact that the textures of the faces were unique and the animation of the lips actually matched the speech being given, but this game really does not look as good as its hardware requirements would indicate.

I had to spend a lot of time tweaking the settings in order to get an average of 25-30 fps.

After finishing the game, which was somewhere between FEAR and Half Life 2 in length (more towards the FEAR side), I installed Bioshock and the Orange box again.

In Crysis I ran at 1024x768 with mostly medium settings, and averaged about 25 fps, often dipping down to 15 or below, rarely going above 35. In Bioshock and Half Life 2 ep 1 / 2 I run in 1280x1024 with maximum detail and 6xAA 2xAF and the games still average in the 40s or higher. While the graphics may not be technically as good, the smoothness of gameplay and the reduced jaggies make for an overall superior graphical experience.

Additionally, both games are more fun than crysis. Half Life 2 Episodes 1 and 2 are MUCH, MUCH more fun, in fact. I found myself in a special happy place playing episode 2... I can't wait to get home to resume my grub smashing / spelunking.

Resuming from my last save game in Bioshock, I couldn't believe how damn hard the game is. Then I discovered I had the game set to "Hard". :oops:

Return to “Technology & Video Games”