So how do you even get a Wii?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:30 pm

Update: Target is not likely to be a source for random afternoon Wii. They do a very well-organized Sunday sell-a-thon.

Here's how my efforts finally paid off this weekend.

1) Memorize the Target SKU for the Wii. It's 207-25-0001. Now I can forget it.

2) Any time you're at Target (for me, the magic day was Tuesday, I think), punch that number into their little red inventory/price scanner boxes.

3) If you get a "Yes" to the inventory question, your first mission should be to verify with an electronics clerk that they aren't actually selling them right then. The clerk will most likely tell you that they'll be on sale Sunday morning.

4) Get up early. I got to the east side Target a little before 6am, and there were 6 people already waiting. The first 5 were in lawn chairs with lots of padding. The sixth had probably just gotten there, and was standing.

On this occasion, Target had 40-some to sell. They said they normally don't get this many. By 8am, all but maybe five units max had been claimed by the pre-open ticket handout process. People who fail to return by 9:30 to claim their Wii will lose their hold. So

5) If all else fails, be at the electronics desk at 9:30 on a Sunday, just in case.

Also, Best Buy east puts theirs on sale on Sunday mornings too, but they will tell you if you ask on Saturday night if they're going to have them on Sunday.

lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lordofthecockrings » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:41 pm

Alternately, you get just get a life.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:03 pm

lotcr, too cool for school. My man.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:09 pm

speaking with journalists at GDC last week Nitendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime said that Nintendo staggers US/Japan/EU releases to maximize shipments of consoles.

Super Smash Bros Brawl comes out in the US March 9. Nintendo will be shipping the lion's share of the 1.8 Million units produced in march to US retail. April will be lean again, but then May will be big with Wii Fit.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:11 pm

I live closest to Super Target, which is where I went at about 9:50 on Sunday morning. I realized once I hit the lot that this Target, being of the Super variety, opens at 8 am.

I followed a guy toward the electronics section where we both approached the Wii section. None were in sight. He then asked the clerk about them and the kid just shook his head and said, as though he was talking about being ahead by 10 in a basketball game with 30 seconds left only to lose it, "We had some, man. We had some."

Turns out, they had 39 and they were gone shortly after 8. So as it turns out, you can actually get them these days, but you have to be quick about it. The good news is that the eBayers might have lost their edge with a ramped-up production schedule.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:38 pm

I hate to ask this, but do any of you wii hunters have a DS? or a 360?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:42 pm

Both. The DS was great when I got it. Mario Zelda etc. there are a lot of games for kids and a lot of games I can tell are just crap. Having trouble finding anything else I want for it. The Xbox I use just for sports games although my roommates have had Rock Band going 8 hours a day for a couple of months now.

awestra
Forum Addict

Postby awestra » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:31 pm

Since I got mine a few weeks ago I will share my source.

http://www.wiialerts.com

Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darthcrank » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:29 pm

My housemate followed the Target advice and produced a Wii for household party use this weekend.

The plan works.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:49 pm

I heard that the Exclusive Company apparently carries Wii. My girlfriend's mom went in, and though they were out of stock, they took her number and actually called her when it came in a week later.

This was a store in Milwaukee, so I don't know if any of the local stores will do this, but thats worth a shot.

Minor Wii shipping update: Apparently they sold something like 780,000 of them in March, right when they said they'd amp up shipments to the US over a million. The culprit is our weak dollar, they're moving them to regions with higher margins and higher prices (249 Euros = $390 > $249 US Wii price). Expect this to continue for a while. The recession wasn't good for Super Nintendo either.

Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sideshow Bob » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:55 pm

Shipley wrote: The culprit is our weak dollar, they're moving them to regions with higher margins and higher prices (249 Euros = $390 > $249 US Wii price). Expect this to continue for a while. The recession wasn't good for Super Nintendo either.

Note to self: Buy Wii here and sell them on ebay.eu, pocket the difference.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu May 29, 2008 10:51 am

The Wii shortage may be coming to a halt: both West and Fitchburg targets had them in stock last couple times I stopped in this past week.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Thu May 29, 2008 10:59 am

Yep. Found two on-shelf in Appleton on Memorial Day weekend.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Thu May 29, 2008 12:28 pm

two weeks ago I walked into BB on a Tuesday morning and they had a sign up that said "Wii have 75 Wii in sotck!"
Shortage = over.

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu May 29, 2008 2:30 pm

Shipley wrote:The Wii shortage may be coming to a halt: both West and Fitchburg targets had them in stock last couple times I stopped in this past week.

You stopped at two different Target stores a couple of times in the past week?

When will they be shipping "Consumer Hero"?

Return to “Technology & Video Games”