Problems with Charter cable signal?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Problems with Charter cable signal?

Postby pattymcnutt » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:58 pm

Has anoyne else been having problems with their cable signal lately? I have been almost completely unable to watch TV for the past week or so because the digital signal is all scrambled and blipping in and out. I just don't think I have the energy to go through yet another customer service nightmare so I have been putting off calling to complain......

Time to switch to DirecTV........

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Problems with Charter cable signal?

Postby barney » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:10 pm

pattymcnutt wrote:Has anoyne else been having problems with their cable signal lately? I have been almost completely unable to watch TV for the past week or so because the digital signal is all scrambled and blipping in and out. I just don't think I have the energy to go through yet another customer service nightmare so I have been putting off calling to complain......

Time to switch to DirecTV........

Ours has been doing that too. Just the digital channels. It's almost likes it's skipping or something. It freezes for a moment, then catches up - but never during a commercial. Fuckos.

Time to move (so we can switch to DirecTV).

paulie
Forum Addict

Postby paulie » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:28 pm

ESPN HD conveniently went out for me after the Badger game this afternoon. Oddly, all other HD channels are fine.

Charter may have something against Ohio State? :lol:

pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby pattymcnutt » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:24 pm

Glad to know I am not the only one, although mine is doing this on every channel and not just the digital ones and it has been blipping in and out (well, mostly OUT) for about 3 hours now (completely unwatchable).

Normally I wouldn't mind so much because I don't watch that much TV on Saturdays anyway, but I have been sick all week and was really looking forward to a day of laying in front of the TV and napping......

Oh how I hate you, Charter! You just lost another customer.

towanda
Forum Addict

Postby towanda » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:56 pm

I was missing almost all the local channels, but a visit from the cable guy seems to have fixed it.

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:47 pm

I have Charter internet, not cable, but have had lots of trouble over the last few days. I thought it was at my end, and was about to buy a new router, since that seemed to be the problem device. If it's Charter, then a new router is a waste.

Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darthcrank » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:12 pm

We were having issues about a month back. The solution seems to include getting rid of the old-style digital boxes and switching to the new generation.

The old ones were the size of a VCR with a clock on the front, the new ones resemble a radar detector in size...

Dipper
Forum Addict

Postby Dipper » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:23 am

I have Charter internet, not cable, but have had lots of trouble over the last few days. I thought it was at my end, and was about to buy a new router, since that seemed to be the problem device. If it's Charter, then a new router is a waste.

We've been having a bitch of a time with our Charter so-called "high-speed" internet, which has slowed to a crawl in recent months. To make sure the problem wasn't on our end, we made the requisite half dozen calls (Bangalore - Phillipines - etc) to get someone sent to our house to check it out.

Amazingly, the service guy was able to show up the very next day, but after warning us against the use of splitters (which never were a problem before) he basically said that the cables running to our house were insufficient to handle the traffic, and that we should contact some local Charter person (lotsa luck) to look into it. We're currently paying for their 5 meg service, but were only getting barely 3 meg.

Well, after another flurry of calls, they sent ANOTHER service guy, who did a more thorough test, and directed us to a website (speakeasy.com) that will measure your download and upload speed for free. Apparently the speed during the day is fine, but at night when more people in our neighborhood are online, the speed slows to a crawl. It takes about 3-5 minutes for the New York Times website to come up, and another 3 minutes to actually scroll down (!).

So I'm again trying to get Charter's attention about this, but I fear that with all the Big Ten/NFL Network flak they've been getting, my problem is way, way down on their list.

Anyone also going through this? Anyone want to recommend an alternative high speed internet provider? We're about done with Charter.

Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Veeder » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:38 am

Our internet service this past weekend was more horrendous than usual. Charter is the enemy.

mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby mcs_madison » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:52 pm

Dipper wrote:

We've been having a bitch of a time with our Charter so-called "high-speed" internet, which has slowed to a crawl in recent months. To make sure the problem wasn't on our end, we made the requisite half dozen calls (Bangalore - Phillipines - etc) to get someone sent to our house to check it out.

Amazingly, the service guy was able to show up the very next day, but after warning us against the use of splitters (which never were a problem before) he basically said that the cables running to our house were insufficient to handle the traffic, and that we should contact some local Charter person (lotsa luck) to look into it. We're currently paying for their 5 meg service, but were only getting barely 3 meg.

Well, after another flurry of calls, they sent ANOTHER service guy, who did a more thorough test, and directed us to a website (speakeasy.com) that will measure your download and upload speed for free. Apparently the speed during the day is fine, but at night when more people in our neighborhood are online, the speed slows to a crawl. It takes about 3-5 minutes for the New York Times website to come up, and another 3 minutes to actually scroll down (!).

So I'm again trying to get Charter's attention about this, but I fear that with all the Big Ten/NFL Network flak they've been getting, my problem is way, way down on their list.

Anyone also going through this? Anyone want to recommend an alternative high speed internet provider? We're about done with Charter.

If you're having issues scrolling down after the page loads, I think you might have other PC issues besides the internet connection. I find the NYT site to be very resource heavy, too much stuff going on the background than a good web site should and at times it really bogs down my work PC and we're on a T1 line.

I was having connection issues a few weeks ago. I called Charter/India and had them hard reset my modem, since it wouldn't keep the ISP address and then went through the house checking all the connections and found a couple loose splitters. It's been just fine ever since. Turns out part of the problem with the digital TV signal (they say it won't affect internet) was sunspots, but that should be overwith by now, they had a list of sunspot outages listed on the website.

Also, if you are having wiring problems, a new company isn't going to be the answer, they'll use the same wires from the pole to the house, that Charter was on. Coax wires are notorious for going bad and there may not even be any damage on the outside of the cable. First thing we do at work when something goes wrong is replace the coax cable. 90% of the time that's the problem.

Red Strat Society

Postby Red Strat Society » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:57 pm

Going through the same sh*t w/ Charter services that happens every time the temperature falls below 30 degrees F.

Local HDTV channels are pixelated at best, and more typically, not even present (the dreaded Charter Blue Screen of Death).

I tend to place a call to their flunkies every few days just to let them know that they're not delivering the service that I'm paying for. Their standardized reply is "We'll have to send a tech to your home", then ask me when I have can take a half day of vacation to sit around and wait for a tech to come into my house and twist the RG6 connectors again, reset the converter box again, take signal strength readings again, scratch their head again, pick their ass again, then decide that I need a new converter.

Of course, the "new converter" diagnosis is simply a method of declaring "I don't have a fvcking clue what's going on, but installing a new converter will waste enough time to make it to the end of my shift and I can get out of here."

Repeat ad-infinitum.

Only this time, I'm switching to a satellite dish.

TDS is rolling out high speed internet access in January to areas without DSL (like mine). That'll be the final nail in the Charter coffin, now that I have another option for internet.

CHARTER SUCKS!!

markkay
Forum Addict

Postby markkay » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:04 pm

Does anybody have bad audio on Charter HD? My audio drops out completely every now and then. Also, it makes loud popping noises. Charter came out and gave me a new DVR box (to replace the Moxie) and said that the signal was okay on their end. The service guy recommended that I play the audio through the TV, as opposed to routing it through my stereo. I made that change, but I still have the same problems. It's really annoying. If I switch from cable to a satellite service, would that take care of the problem? Or is the tv (a bottom line Westinghouse HD) buggy? (Wait a sec, if it happened when I played the audio through the stereo, and not the tv, the tv can't be the issue.) Help!

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:27 pm

I get audio drop outs all the time with the Moxie box. Also havent had on demand working in like 4 months. Maybe longer.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:46 pm

markkay wrote:Does anybody have bad audio on Charter HD? My audio drops out completely every now and then. Also, it makes loud popping noises. Charter came out and gave me a new DVR box (to replace the Moxie) and said that the signal was okay on their end. The service guy recommended that I play the audio through the TV, as opposed to routing it through my stereo. I made that change, but I still have the same problems. It's really annoying. If I switch from cable to a satellite service, would that take care of the problem? Or is the tv (a bottom line Westinghouse HD) buggy? (Wait a sec, if it happened when I played the audio through the stereo, and not the tv, the tv can't be the issue.) Help!

Does the problem indeed not occur when you play audio through the TV and not the stereo?

markkay
Forum Addict

Postby markkay » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:10 pm

The problem occurs both 1) when the audio is connected to the stereo, and 2) when the audio is connected to the tv.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”