For everyone who hates Charter....

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Forum Addict

For everyone who hates Charter....

Postby pattymcnutt » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:13 pm

So this lady was actually mad at Comcast, but the same sentiments apply to Charter......

Woman, 75, fined for hammering Comcast office

Her fury with cable company led to attacks on keyboard, monitor, phone
The Associated Press
Updated: 12:29 p.m. CT Oct 19, 2007

BRISTOW, Virginia - She was fined and got a suspended jail sentence, but Mona Shaw says she has no regrets about using a hammer to vent her frustration at a cable company.

"I stand by my actions even more so after getting all these telephone calls and hearing other people's complaints," she told The Associated Press in an interview Friday.

Shaw, 75, and her husband, Don, say they had an appointment in August for a Comcast technician to come to their Bristow home to install the company's heavily advertised Triple Play phone, Internet and cable service.

The Shaws say no one came all day, and the technician who showed up two days later left without finishing the setup. Two days after that, Comcast cut off all their service.

At the Comcast office in Manassas later that day, they waited for a manager for two hours before being told the manager had left for the day, the Shaws say.

Shaw, a churchgoing secretary of the local AARP branch, returned the next Monday _ with a hammer.

"I smashed a keyboard, knocked over a monitor ... and I went to hit the telephone," Shaw said. "I figured, 'Hey, my telephone is screwed up, so is yours.'"

Comcast Corp., the nation's largest cable company, disputes Shaw's version of its customer service record and calls Shaw's hammer fit on Aug. 20 an "inappropriate situation."

"Nothing justifies this sort of dangerous behavior," Comcast spokeswoman Beth Bacha said.

Police arrested Shaw for disorderly conduct. She received a three-month suspended sentence, was fined $345 and and is barred from going near the Comcast offices for a year.

The Shaws did eventually get phone and television service _ with Verizon and DirecTV.

She said many people have called her a hero. "But no, I'm just an old lady who got mad. I had a hissy fit," she said.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:26 pm

Go granny go! This is hysterical. Not enough meds, or too much? An early sign of Alzheimers is inappropriate anger...hope it's not the case for her sake. Great story, though, she did it for all us little people! Charter SUCKS.

Forum Addict

Postby pattymcnutt » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:15 pm

Eh, given the notoriously awful customer service from cable companies, I would say her angry outburst was totally appropriate, if not quite tame. Now if she had stormed in there with a chainsaw, that probably would have been overkill.....

Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:34 pm

The only thing that would have made this story perfect is if she had repeatedly shouted, "This is what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass!"

Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:52 pm

Violet_Skye wrote:Not enough meds, or too much?

How about an inability to suffer fools lightly?

Troy Thiel
Forum Addict

Postby Troy Thiel » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:08 pm

How can their contract with the City allow them to broadcast infomercials on all the 3 networks AND the regular 4 other channels at the same time...mid day today...guess the basic cable folks forsake their right for the programming they paid for and if they really want to watch the network feeds they should pony up eh? They complain about the Big 10 Network trying to do it, but they do the SAME THING all the time!

Competition anyone? I'm sure a competitor would offer the same, if not better service, AND do the deal to show City programming.

Competition almost always brings out better performance, and for better rates.

Whose watching the cable company in this town? over...I feel it's time to go get the pizza

Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:33 pm

mrak wrote:The only thing that would have made this story perfect is if she had repeatedly shouted, "This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!"

Now safe for basic cable!

Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:49 pm

Contact Charter Communications CEO Neil Smit ... 266912.php

Forum Addict

Re: For everyone who hates Charter....

Postby mcs_madison » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:20 am

I dunno...I really don't have that much of a problem with Charter. Tech has always been here when they say and they've been quick and polite.

Direct TV back in New England was a disaster, since they contracted out the work to half trained local roofers. Could never get anyone over to re-align the dish after a nasty winter and satellite internet?! Forget about it...It totally sucked. It was slower than dial-up (no DSL where I lived). So, from my point of view...Charter is working just fine. I was having issues with my Modem dropping the signal. I called and they did a hard reset of the modem...5 minutes tops...Problem solved. No complaints here.

Forum Addict

Postby sylvie » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:53 am

I finally succumbed and signed up for a Charter bundle in late June with a one year promotional package for $89/month. Now every month I get billed separately amounting to $243/month. Every month I have to get on the phone with them and straighten it out. These stress inducing calls take about 45 minutes. One Charter rep who I suspect is someone "offshore" even tried to pad my bill with extra charges for renting the modem, etc, all of which was supposed to be included in the package at one low price". I've seen similar stories posted online. I'm pretty sick of this and don't know how much longer I can last with Charter. Ironically the city channels are the one I watch the most.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby Learned » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:23 am

Bruno wrote:
mrak wrote:The only thing that would have made this story perfect is if she had repeatedly shouted, "This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!"

Now safe for basic cable!

Well done.

Forum Addict

Postby towanda » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:23 am

Comcast is notorious for screwing the pooch.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”