Portal

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Portal

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:34 am

Well HL2 released their new games last night and I had them all pre-loaded through Steam. It was Portal that got me to buy the Orange Box, and I have to say it's a blast so far. I blew through a bunch of training levels for a couple hours last night, and while it's a little light on story, it was certainly an entertaining experience.

You basically have no weapons except a gun that shoots holes in walls/ceilings/floors/etc. To navigate the hazards, you might shoot one hole in the floor in front of you, and another in the wall across the room, then jump through the floor hole and you pop out on the other side of the room. It's a blast!

HIGHLY recommended.

For half a C-note, you get a full version of HL2, Episide 1 and 2, Portal, and TFC in the Orange Box. Great way to get started on HL2. I only wanted Ep 2 and Portal, but I suppose they knew that and put Ep 2 at $30 and Portal at $20 standalone.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:54 am

About how many hours of content is estimated for Ep2 and Portal?

I can't imagine it's less than prey, which also had a portal gun, and was, what, 9 hours?

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:01 pm

I have seen 3-6 estimated for Portal.

Something like 5-8 estimated for Episode 2.

Then there's TFC which is all online - assuming you intend to play that at all (I don't).

forwardourmotto
Forum Addict

Postby forwardourmotto » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:10 am

Beer Moon wrote:I have seen 3-6 estimated for Portal.

Something like 5-8 estimated for Episode 2.

Then there's TFC which is all online - assuming you intend to play that at all (I don't).

Team...Fortress...2....ZOMG!

I'd recommend giving it a try, I just got done playing a round (it's 2am, I should be sleeping). It's an amazing multi-player game. With 9 different classes, there's a lot of variety and it's pretty well balanced...

(technically all the games are required to be online, cuz of the Valve anti-piracy stuff, right?)

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:59 am

Between Quake Wars: Enemy Territory and LOTRO, I haven't had time to do any TF2, but I will give it a shot eventually.

Really enjoyed Portal greatly though. Nice FPS puzzler.

forwardourmotto
Forum Addict

Postby forwardourmotto » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:42 am

Just started Portal...I'm thoroughly impressed.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:15 am

forwardourmotto wrote:Just started Portal...I'm thoroughly impressed.

The cake is a lie.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:55 pm

thanks for bumping this. Today is pay day and I still got a $25 Toys R Us gift card from when Mario Galaxy came out.

I haven't played either of the HL2 sequels and I want to make sure I fully understand this cake meme before I start to parrot it back to the interwebs. (unlike many who repeat stuff like "Do not want!!" without knowing what its referencing)

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:05 pm

You haven't played Portal yet?

Portal is my nominee for game of the year.
As cool as it is to have a new HL2 Episode, and as fun as TF2 is to play online, both pale in comparison the the simple, elegant beauty that is Portal.

Sure COD4 and Crysis look great, but at their heart they are re-packaged and re-issued FPS games that we've played a million times before since Castle Wolfenstein.
Portal is original, unique, clever, simple, and addictive.
Plus it has the most wicked sense of humor of any game I've played in a loooong time.

I don't think this is too much of a spoiler, but there is a brilliant pop song from the game as well.
If only all games had original music this good.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:30 pm

Valve doesn't support the mac platform, so no I haven't played portal yet.

I'm one of the few, the proud, who greatly prefer twin sticks to mouse and keyboard.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:38 pm

Shipley wrote:Valve doesn't support the mac platform, so no I haven't played portal yet.

I'm one of the few, the proud, who greatly prefer twin sticks to mouse and keyboard.

Oh that's no excuse since Windows runs on Macs now!
It would be great if it was out for the Wii. It's one game that would make perfect sense on that console.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:01 pm

Windows runs on NEW macs. I have G5. Besides, if I wanted to run windows, I'd just get a PC. I don't want to run Windows.

It would be terrible on Wii. There is some horrible misconception that motion control is ideal for FPS. Maybe it will be some day, but the Wii does not have the precision to do it proper. Metroid Prime 3 is the closest thing to right and that, like the other games in the series, has a lock-on for targets. free targeting isn't just hard, its just not accurate enough for precise gameplay.

forwardourmotto
Forum Addict

Postby forwardourmotto » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:49 pm

jammybastard wrote:Plus it has the most wicked sense of humor of any game I've played in a loooong time.

I don't think this is too much of a spoiler, but there is a brilliant pop song from the game as well.
If only all games had original music this good.

Echo both those points. The sense of humor is amazing.

The song is amazing too (in a weird way it reminded of the music in Katamari - strange the games are totally different. But the songs unapologetically reflect the game - which is good).

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:47 pm

Finally played it. did the entire main game in one sitting. blown away.

Its not very long, but has the kind of gameplay that lends itselfs to endless expansions and fan made maps. and even better, I'm sure the Portal team will come up with more wacky gameplay ideas for their next game.

Just puzzles aren't enough though, the computer's encouragment (or more often discouragement) made the game the enjoyable time it was. I've never played a game that was quotable before!

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:00 am

Definitely the most strangely endearing cg voice I have ever heard.

Wonder if it was the voice itself or the snarky content that does that.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”