Hooking Up Your Next-Gen Console To The Internet

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:10 pm

Ok, now I'm confused.
Linksys' site does not list this router as being compatible with Win98, yet this site does.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:14 pm

Routers are generally pretty dumb devices. They should mostly be compatible backwards and forwards. The only question might be the included set-up software. But still I say going backwards and not forwards (Vista Yuck!) you should be pretty safe. The set-up software isn't even really necessary as your OS has all the tools necessary. Just bite on an inexpensive Linksys and let the learning begin already.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:14 pm

I never even used the set-up software on one my old routers. they work right out of the box, you only need to fudge around with it if you want to close a port or turn something off. maybe if you didn't want to leave wifi unprotected thats a problem, but I just turn the bugger off when I'm done.

paulie
Forum Addict

Postby paulie » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:05 pm

WRT54.

the only model you'll need.

it will work with 98SE as long as you use the right browser. when they talk about compatibility, thats all they mean. don't worry about it too much if it doesnt explicitly say its compatible.

if it doesnt work straight away with how you have the computer set up, then just install firefox.. which you should be using anyway.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:50 am

paulie wrote:WRT54.

the only model you'll need.

Be a bit more specific. Do you think the "speedboost" is worth the added cost?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:05 pm

For gaming? Yes.

paulie
Forum Addict

Postby paulie » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:13 pm

fisticuffs wrote:For gaming? Yes.

Problem is, Speedboost is proprietary to Linksys, and only works with other speedboost enabled hardware(read: linksys branded hardware).

so for instance, speedboost would do nothing if it was hooked to an xbox360.

so to answer MadMind's question, NO. it is not worth the extra cost, if youre only using it to hook up a console. now if you were to buy a linkwireless network card for your laptop or desktop PC, then it might be worth a look.

i personally don't use that feature even though my router supports it.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:39 pm

what could "speedboost" possibly do?

this is why I plug my modem directly into my xbox. I can only use my computer or my xbox one at a time anyway, so the 10 seconds required to switch cables is a fine cost vs another peice of hardware to eventually fail.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:21 pm

Shipley wrote:this is why I plug my modem directly into my xbox.

Picking up a 50ft ethernet cable and doing just that is starting to sound like the better (and most certainly cheaper) option.
Last edited by MadMind on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:35 am

Shipley wrote:I never even used the set-up software on one my old routers. they work right out of the box, you only need to fudge around with it if you want to close a port or turn something off. maybe if you didn't want to leave wifi unprotected thats a problem, but I just turn the bugger off when I'm done.

Unfortunately, this method did not work for me. For some reason the disc's setup is not running it's course, so I simply tried the aforementioned method of foregoing the set-up and just plugging everything in. The connections show up on the router but doesn't work on either the 360 or the PC...something about DNS settings I think.
I will have to figure something out.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:58 am

Any suggestions?

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:56 am

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but have you read the manual?

You should be able to go to your web browser on your PC and type in 192.268.0.1 (that works for Linksys I think) and get to the router configuration screen.

User/Pass should be admin/admin to start with.

From there you can see if the router is picking up the IP from your modem or not - and you should also be able to find a screen that shows any "clients" that are connected (like an Xbox or a PC).

You can usually get to this screen even if your computer is not yet able to get connected to the internet.

Otherwise, very very generally, you want to unplug your router for a few minutes to reset it, then plug in the ethernet cables first (make sure the modem line is plugged into the WAN port), then plug in the router power, then turn on the PC and/or Xbox - and go from there. About twice a year my router hiccups and I need to reboot the stuff as described above to get it working again.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:23 am

Beer Moon wrote:I'm not trying to be a dick here, but have you read the manual?

You should be able to go to your web browser on your PC and type in 192.268.0.1 (that works for Linksys I think) and get to the router configuration screen.

And the router configuration screen is going to be available even without having run the router's setup disc?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:30 am

The router's set up disc is the easy guide to setting it up. You can do without.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:07 am

Beer Moon wrote:I'm not trying to be a dick here, but have you read the manual?

It's 192.168.0.1

Return to “Technology & Video Games”