The coolest plugin EVER for Firefox browser

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

The coolest plugin EVER for Firefox browser

Postby Wet_Pavement » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:33 am

Okay, this plugin is the shit. Maybe other people have already heard about it. It's called Adblock Plus and it's only for Firefox browser. It blocks almost all ads, 99% or more. It's amazing and it works.

Here's the NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/03/techn ... ref=slogin

The article will go into the archives in 1 week

But here's Adblock Plus's website: http://adblockplus.org/blog

It is amazing viewing pages with zero ads. There's something very liberating and revolutionary about it.

But how do I get all of my favorites from Safari into Firefox? I don't even know how to use the favs on Firefox. :?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The coolest plugin EVER for Firefox browser

Postby fennel » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:11 am

Wet_Pavement wrote:But how do I get all of my favorites from Safari into Firefox? I don't even know how to use the favs on Firefox. :?

You could stick with Safari and use PithHelmet.
http://culater.net/software/PithHelmet/PithHelmet.php
Firefox is a great app but isn't as well-integrated as Safari. (You can't hover on a word and get it's definition via ctr-cmd-d, for example.)

Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:24 am

Yeah but it's $10 and it looks like you have to update the thing yourself.

The Adblock Plus is free and you can sign up for automatic updates to keep your blocking of ads fresh.

buckydoc

Postby buckydoc » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:07 am

Who's going to be paying for all the web content if everyone uses an ad blocker? Are subscription fees really a sustainable business model?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:16 am

Are the ads, particularly those on this site, really that obtrusive? Many of us who have been involved with web publishing for over ten years now have had to hold the proponents of paid subscriptions off by insisting that advertising is a viable model. You might find surfing without ads "liberating" but I'm not sure you'd find a fee-based all that great.

Tell me this... does this ad blocking software also block Google text ads? If not, then are you in favor of a web where Google gets a cut of all advertising revenue?

We, along with many others in the industry, work pretty hard to teach clients that pop-ups and other types of intrusive web ads are not the way to go. The Tornado ad you see on these pages is one of our best performing and it's completely static. But if they and other businesses stop advertising on our site and others like it, then the effect won't be a "liberating" surfing experience, it will mean the loss of revenue for sites and a much worse online experience.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:30 am

For those who don't want ads, I don't believe ads are effective. Those who don't mind ads or find them entertaining won't block them. I've used a blocker of one sort of another for ten years and keep plug-ins disabled. I just won't deal with the clutter.

Whether a subscription model will work is anybody's guess. It's conceivable advertisers might decide to step back from their cram-it-down-your-throat model. Concievable but unlikely.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:39 am

Wet_Pavement wrote:Yeah but it's $10 and it looks like you have to update the thing yourself.

The Adblock Plus is free and you can sign up for automatic updates to keep your blocking of ads fresh.

Yeah, it's shareware. You don't have to purchase it. I did, since I find it indispensable.
A slightly geeky, but very cool feature is the ability to rewrite urls so, for example, you can go directly to the print view for the NYT and skip the annoying partition of pages into multiple parts. (An evil design feature dragged along from paper newspapers.) You can also enable/disable browser features on a per-site basis.

Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:23 am

buckydoc wrote:Who's going to be paying for all the web content if everyone uses an ad blocker? Are subscription fees really a sustainable business model?

People use DVD recorders and VCRs and TV hasn't shifted to a subscription fee format.
Last edited by Wet_Pavement on Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:32 am

jjoyce wrote:Are the ads, particularly those on this site, really that obtrusive? Many of us who have been involved with web publishing for over ten years now have had to hold the proponents of paid subscriptions off by insisting that advertising is a viable model. You might find surfing without ads "liberating" but I'm not sure you'd find a fee-based all that great.

Tell me this... does this ad blocking software also block Google text ads? If not, then are you in favor of a web where Google gets a cut of all advertising revenue?

We, along with many others in the industry, work pretty hard to teach clients that pop-ups and other types of intrusive web ads are not the way to go. The Tornado ad you see on these pages is one of our best performing and it's completely static. But if they and other businesses stop advertising on our site and others like it, then the effect won't be a "liberating" surfing experience, it will mean the loss of revenue for sites and a much worse online experience.

People use DVDs, TiVo, and VCRs to skip over ads all the time on TV. This is a pretty regular viewing habit. Guess what? Advertisers still advertise on TV.

People now pay for commercial free radio. The world isn't falling apart because people listen to commercial free radio or because people skp ads on TV with their TiVos, DVD recorders, and VCRs.

TiVos and and satellite radio are subscritption based services so one could argue that someone still gets paid. But in TiVo's case the ads are still there but glossed over if the user wishs. Advertisers still advertise.

And yeah the ads are pretty annoying sometimes.

And finally, if you'd read the NY Times article, you would have learned that you can change the settings on Adblocker Plus to allow various kinds of advertising if you want to see it, including Google's non-invasive ads.

The world is not falling apart because there exists technology for various electronic media that allows me the choice of what content I view. Welcome to the digital world. And it is very liberating and democratic.

buckydoc

Postby buckydoc » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:37 am

Help me understand understand how ad-free, non-subscription, non-tax supported media is viable -- and BK's blog doesn't count.

Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:21 am

buckydoc wrote:Help me understand understand how ad-free, non-subscription, non-tax supported media is viable -- and BK's blog doesn't count.

So you must be against VCRs and DVD recorders, too. Do you want to outlaw the "fast forward" button? Help me understand how you can't be against VCRs and DVD records and the fast forward button when you are apparently against Adblock PLus.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:57 am

Hey Wet_Pave, where have you been the last five years? Television is most certainly moving to a subscription model and every fan of the Packers and Badgers knows that all too well.

Ideally, our advertisers are paying for impressions, understanding that a certain percentage of those impressions will result in clicks or, even better, bolstered brand awareness. Ads like the one for the Crystal Corner Bar, Harmony and High Noon serve the double purpose of aiding local artists. We also proudly run ads for a large number of locally-owned businesses like the Tornado and the Great Dane. You're telling me you don't make purchases from these kinds of businesses?

I guess I don't think this knee-jerk anti-ad philosophy is very well thought through. The effect will be less media diversity on the web. Is that what you're after? You never answered that question. Without ad revenue, how are sites supposed to operate?

DMeister
Forum Addict

Postby DMeister » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:11 am

jjoyce wrote:Without ad revenue, how are sites supposed to operate?

Love.

BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:18 am

jjoyce wrote:I guess I don't think this knee-jerk anti-ad philosophy is very well thought through. The effect will be less media diversity on the web. Is that what you're after? You never answered that question. Without ad revenue, how are sites supposed to operate?

Sites might be put up by people who are enthused about the content. It will be more art and less contant as product.

This might restructure media into a non-profit driven element of our society. When I was in print media, advertising was a neccessary evil. It isn't neccessary here.

We could all go hang out on the indymedia site. :P

magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby magic moose » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:28 am

buckydoc wrote:Help me understand understand how ad-free, non-subscription, non-tax supported media is viable -- and BK's blog doesn't count.

BK. Hip and in. Already taken, though, so the efficiency of communication is lost. (+1) (-2) Like LT (Lawrence Taylor was robbed).

More likely makes some forms of ads cheaper and others more expensive. Ad people are about as nimble as they come - I wouldn't waste your time worrying about those feet-in-the-mud advertisers who are perpetually behind the 8-curve.

They'll just put placements into content or otherwise wiggle around. They are slippery little buggers. I mean, for example, if you want to Simpsonize yourself, you have to struggle through the embedded BK (Burger King!!) ads.

The death of advertisement is premature.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”