iPod updates: wireless access? touch screen?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

iPod updates: wireless access? touch screen?

Postby Wet_Pavement » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:31 am

Apple is having a media event on September 5th apparently to announce updates of their iPod line.

The nano will be updated and looks like it may retain the clickwheel. The full iPod will get a touchscreen like the iPhones. Rumors also have it that the iPod may get wireless connectivity, which I think would be cool. I would rather buy a touchscreen iPod with OSX as its foundation that allows me to browse the internet rather than use AT&T and get the iPhone. Wireless/touchscreen iPod would be all I need.

Also apparently Beatles may be added to iTunes.

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/28/the ... -wireless/

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:41 pm

So the assumption is that it will actually connect to the internet, and not just through some miniaturized version of the iTunes store that allows you to blow cash on DRM mp3s from any wireless connection?

That would be novel indeed.

The first decent flash-based touchscreen mp3 player will be on my list. Sort of doubt it will be made by Apple.

My 4GB Sansa has been doing an excellent job.

aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby aaronetc » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:38 pm

I'll be interested to see what capacity these things have if they turn out to be real. I'd been reading that the sticking point for a big iPod upgrade was that Apple wanted to get out of the hard drive design and go with just Flash memory, and they were waiting for Flash prices to drop low enough that 128GB would be feasible as the high end.

Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:38 am

Samsung announced a 1.8" hard drive with 160 GBs, perfect for a high end iPod: http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/21/sam ... ard-drive/

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:57 pm

It's all up there for public view now. Best part I think is the $200 price drop on the phone.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:51 pm

Worst part is the pricing / sizing of the touch... $400 for 16gb seems off to me.

aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby aaronetc » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:29 pm

Looks like pretty much everything I wanted it to be, and hopefully there'll be a 100GB+ version by the time I can actually afford to replace my current iPod. Also, I'd hope that by that time it's been hacked to run various video game console emulators.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”