Naked DSL

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
robeen

Naked DSL

Postby robeen » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:40 pm

Does anyone know of any concerted effort to try demand naked DSL from internet providers? I currently have DSL - I don't want the phone I already pay loads for my cellphone. Some states have made progress I've heard...it would be great if Wisconsin could do something like this.

Either that or some real competition to ATT.

How much is Charter for internet but no TV at all - is it even possible? There's Madison broadband - too slow and unreliable and inflexible for me. For my area that's all there is.

(in case you are confused - naked DSL is DSL without the phone...)

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:46 pm

www.charter.com

3 tiered service.
Cable internet.
w/tv
w/tv and phone.

10MB down, 1 MB up is $59.99 a month and that's the highest price package.

robeen

Postby robeen » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:01 pm

That's a 3 month promotional price - do you know the long term price?
What's weird too is their 3M offering is 54.99$ and that's promotional period.

That's even more expensive than DSL and no phone.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:23 am

The cheapest from Charter is their 3Mbps for $19.99 (six-month promotional pricing).

Yeah, phone companies will bitch and moan that it's "impossible" to have DSL without accompanying phone service, but the impossibility is their business model, not a technical hurdle.

Like I said in that other thread, go to the Charter mini-office at University Book Store to order in person and get your equipment for self-install. Save the $50 installation fee.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:41 am

Here's the game I've played with Charter for years now...

When the promo price is about to expire ask them to make it permanent or you'll go somewhere else.
They loathe turnover and will usually go for it.
Plus, the rates usually go down shortly after the promo period expires.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:57 am

And the best way to get to a Charter service rep is to press 0 eleventy billion times. It gets you right through.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:31 pm

juanton wrote:And the best way to get to a Charter service rep is to press 0 eleventy billion times. It gets you right through.

Oh I looooove crashing the automated greeter.
Been doing that since they brought it on board.

frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby frozenCow » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:58 pm

jammybastard wrote:Here's the game I've played with Charter for years now...

When the promo price is about to expire ask them to make it permanent or you'll go somewhere else.
They loathe turnover and will usually go for it.
Plus, the rates usually go down shortly after the promo period expires.

Yeah, I've had to play a similar game with Charter the last few years to get my internet and cable TV. They start you off with some promo that lasts a year. Everything is packaged so that you get extra crap you don't want (if you try to order only the parts you want it actually costs you more). About 11 months later you get a notice in the mail (sometimes separate, sometimes with your bill) that says your rate will increase to some new ridiculous amount.

That’s when you call them and threaten to leave. Then they usually find some new 1 year promo that is still more expensive than your expiring promo, but it is maybe only $10 more instead of the $20+ more they were going to charge you if you did nothing. They also switch TV channels around, repackage the TV and internet options, and change the internet download speeds so you really can't compare the cost of your new service to the cost of your expiring service. Every package includes a Charter telephone option, which I have avoided like the plague.

When I started with Charter, they used to rent you their cable modem for $5 a month. Then a couple of years later the local big box stores started advertising buying your own cable modem for about $70+ and getting the purchase price back in a rebate if you activated a new service with Charter. The offer for existing customers was a rebate that left you paying about $50 for the modem. So that’s what I did. I know some people who still rent a modem from Charter (which Charter doesn’t voluntarily upgrade).

It’s a silly game. But when I look at replacing it all with dish and DSL, it doesn't appear any cheaper.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:33 pm

I have Charter extended basic. Got rid of their rental box a couple years ago. I still pay over 50 bucks a month. In the last few days, I can no longer get channel 73 (no big whoop), 75, 76 and 77. Is it something I should call Charter about, or are they doing a makeover? And what ever happened to channel 46?

frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby frozenCow » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:24 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I have Charter extended basic. Got rid of their rental box a couple years ago. I still pay over 50 bucks a month. In the last few days, I can no longer get channel 73 (no big whoop), 75, 76 and 77. Is it something I should call Charter about, or are they doing a makeover? And what ever happened to channel 46?

They just did ANOTHER makeover. Got the new channel line-up in the mail today. Channel 46 is gone. 75-78 are gone too.

I tried getting rid of the box a couple of years ago. I actually did for almost a year. I gave them back the box, went with the expanded basic and dropped down to the slowest internet speed at the same time too. Then they had a rate change and it would have cost me more NOT to have the digital box. So they had a promo (with the box and the fastest internet speed) and that was $5 dollars cheaper than what the expanded basic and slowest internet speed was going to be after the rate change. And thus the vicious cycle started.

I really wish I could just have local channels and basic cable (channels 2-21) but they put the cable channels I'm inclined to watch above channel 21 (by design, no doubt). I really wish I could select the few channels I might actually watch and ditch the rest. I don't watch sports, I don't speak Spanish, I don't shop on TV, and I don't get religion from TV either. They came out with different packages a couple of years ago that were supposed to let you select what you want (themes like Sports, Spanish, or Movie). When signing up for my latest promo, I opted for the Movie package because it was as close as I could get to what I might watch. But I still get some sports and Spanish channels and I can't ever get away from the home shopping channels. Now they just added some new religion channels I will never watch either.

Time to price Dish and DSL again...

26 years ago in my Comm Arts 250 class, Professor Vance Kepley told us that in the future there would be over 100 channels to watch (Madison had about 35-40 at the time). He said, "What that means is that no matter what time of day it is, you will be able to turn on the TV and find an episode of I Love Lucy". Even back then, we knew that more channels would not necessarily mean better things to watch.

robeen

Postby robeen » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:25 pm

after reading the suggestions here, I checked out Charter some more.
It turns out they had a $14.99 / month for 6 months trial for just internet 3M service. So I am signing up and let's see what happens after 6 months! If they do not cut a deal after the 6 month it goes back up to a whopping 54.99/month, which means I would go back to DSL then if they do not budge...but if the posters here are correct, they will hopefully make a deal.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:04 pm

frozenCow wrote:26 years ago in my Comm Arts 250 class, Professor Vance Kepley told us that in the future there would be over 100 channels to watch (Madison had about 35-40 at the time). He said, "What that means is that no matter what time of day it is, you will be able to turn on the TV and find an episode of I Love Lucy". Even back then, we knew that more channels would not necessarily mean better things to watch.

There is an episode of The Jetsons where George Jetson is sitting in his easy chair, watching 1000 channels simultaneously on a 100" TV screen, and complaining that there was nothing on.

Hank_Venison
Forum Addict

Re: Naked DSL

Postby Hank_Venison » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:49 pm

robeen wrote:(in case you are confused - naked DSL is DSL without the phone...)

Damn it! I thought it meant that the guy who came out to install it for you would be naked. Guess I better cancel my appointment.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Naked DSL

Postby mrak » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:57 pm

Hank_Venison wrote:Damn it! I thought it meant that the guy who came out to install it for you would be naked.

Maude: "You can imagine where it goes from there."
The Dude: "He fixes the cable?"
Maude: "Don't be fatuous, Jeffrey."

Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:09 am

FWIW, apparently AT&T has a naked DSL plan. Not that I'd recommend doing business with those fuckers, but you know... FWIW.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”