Apple releases the new iMacs

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:44 pm

I bought my imac, last year, to replace my old pastel imac. I was feelng just a twinge of regret, over the price, until my co-worker bought a new PC, and the thing started to bugger up almost immediately, even though she had all the anti-virus etc.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:11 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I bought my imac, last year, to replace my old pastel imac. I was feelng just a twinge of regret, over the price, until my co-worker bought a new PC, and the thing started to bugger up almost immediately, even though she had all the anti-virus etc.

This makes me feel good too, knowing that the great democratic internet does not discriminate except against idiots, and only a small percentage of idiots who own macs are inexplicably protected from their own ineptitude.

Our democracy is falling apart for this same reason. People are unable to think for themselves, and cannot distinguish between advertising, spin and truth. To survive on the internet, you need to learn to sort out the bullshit.

It is much like watching Fox News. You have to know what you are doing in order to read through all of the BS and lies and find the actual content, just like you have to realize that the chick on myspace who has invited you to see her nudie pics on her webcam only wants your money, a popup flashing green and pink notice that your computer has been compromised is actually an attempt to compromise your computer, and the prince of Nigeria is not trying to give you 20 million dollars for responding to his email.

Lock the door of your house. Run a decent antivirus program (free ones work as good as the Norton/McAfee bloats - if not better).

Don't leave your bike in the yard. Don't enter your username and passwords ANYWHERE except the site that you originally logged into.

Don't run into brick walls with your car. LOOK at the address listed at the top of your screen.

Don't shove a pencil in your ear. Don't click on flashing notices from webpages offering to clean or secure your PC.

If you get your news from Fox, you deserve George Bush. If you are incapable of distinguishing real content from bullshit advertising, then you deserve a trip to the Geek Squad to have some 14 yr old reload XP.

Or you could buy a Mac, and not learn anything about technology. I'm not sure what the equivalent would be. Perhaps joining the Libertarian party? You're always right, but you never get any say in how things are going to work.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:54 pm

Beer Moon wrote:Or you could buy a Mac, and not learn anything about technology. I'm not sure what the equivalent would be. Perhaps joining the Libertarian party? You're always right, but you never get any say in how things are going to work.

We get it, you feel passionate about this. But the first statement of the above quote is just ridiculous. You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about with your broad generalizations.

You're really starting to sound like a royal tit.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:21 pm

Or you could buy a Mac, and not learn anything about technology.

HOw do you figure. Is a Mac any less advanced because you don't need a degree in IT in order to have a decent safe experience with one. Not to mention about 95% of the Movies/Music/Art/Photography you enjoy so much was made o one. But I guess they were just being lazy when they made that choice.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:58 pm

Beer Moon wrote:Or you could buy a Mac, and not learn anything about technology. I'm not sure what the equivalent would be. Perhaps joining the Libertarian party? You're always right, but you never get any say in how things are going to work.

This is quite comical. Most of the Mac users I know purchased them out of an utter surfeit of geekiness. They're forever adjusting their firewall settings from the command line, building free unix utilities from source, writing cron scripts to monitor file systems and clean out cruft, and so on. But they're geeks who also have to get paying work done from time to time, so they can step back and take advantage of a well designed GUI and focus on tasks rather than plumbing. The former you can do to no end with linux; the latter -- well ....

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:35 pm

Cripes.

I hate when this happens.

I know plenty of hardcore techies who use Macs.

I also know tons of creatives who use Windows.

Having used all kinds of machines and systems over the years I don't beileve any of the popular myths out there about any system, keeps me from getting religious about any of 'em.

They're all just tools.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:14 pm

dave esmond wrote:Having used all kinds of machines and systems over the years I don't beileve any of the popular myths out there about any system, keeps me from getting religious about any of 'em.

They're all just tools.

This is exactly right. But I do think a well designed GUI will significantly streamline tasks for a broader range of experienced users. My sense is that Mac reigns in this domain for individual use, but for corporate use, it's arguable that the collective efficiency offered by a substandard (but common) GUI overrides the personal efficiency of an optimal one. As such, the most poorly designed tool will have an advantage if it happens to be the most commonly used tool. Sad that, but true for large inflexible organizations. ("Get in step, little drone!")

But as soon as critical mass shifts to another system -- say, Ubuntu or OS X -- the dynamic may be reversed.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:35 pm

Not that I wasn't trying to ruffle some feathers, but I never stated that anyone who owned a mac was an idiot. I merely suggested that the protection OSX (or any obscure OS) offers protects idiots from their own idiocy on the internet.

In fact, I find it hard to see how it could have been interpreted any other way. So perhaps I overestimated the reading comprehension of mac owners.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:01 pm

Beer Moon wrote:Not that I wasn't trying to ruffle some feathers, but I never stated that anyone who owned a mac was an idiot. I merely suggested that the protection OSX (or any obscure OS) offers protects idiots from their own idiocy on the internet.

Compared to the studied exposure to risk one invariably makes when reflexively choosing the corporate norm? For some, having a stable working computer is more important than the reassuring cooing of a some polo-shirted golf partner dripping unctuous words of praise for having made the "reasonable choice" for not getting an "obscure OS."

Beer Moon wrote:In fact, I find it hard to see how it could have been interpreted any other way. So perhaps I overestimated the reading comprehension of mac owners.

Truly a wonder how one might so egregiously misconstrue your words. Just amazing, that.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:13 am

I dunno, fennel, I kind of enjoy the barely-coherent, spittle-spewing rants that Beer Moon brings to the Techno section.

It's like having our own little pulsewidth modulation in here, only his personal bogeyman is Steve Jobs instead of Brenda Konkel.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:14 am

Beer Moon wrote:In fact, I find it hard to see how it could have been interpreted any other way. So perhaps I overestimated the reading comprehension of mac owners.

Christ. I own both a PC and 3 macs. As Dave said, they are just tools. If you are going to continue to draw some imaginary dork line in the sand, then you are merely showing yourself as the tool.

Go back to playing your video games and foaming at the mouth over the next nVidia chipset that hasn't been released yet.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:02 pm

I haven't drooled over an Nvidia chipset since Oskar Wu's Nforce 4 chipset came out. I did drool a little over his P35 chipset, but not publicly, and that's Intel.

Some of you - or none of you - might notice that my post was in response to Bwis implying that windows was garbage by design, and would immediately "bugger up" even if one was running proper virus protection.

Apparently, my tongue-in-cheek "rant" was too much for you folk to let slide, and yet his implication that macs are worth the increased cost because they don't immediately self destruct is completely ignored.

The point I was making has been missed completely because you have all accepted that Bwis' comment was reasonable and unexaggerated, but you all think that I truly believe every word written in the rant I posted. I think it's ironic that a couple of you have posted the exact point I was making in response to my post, as if to point out that I was a fanboy - which I was satirizing.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:09 pm

Isn't Bwis a she?

Beer Moon, I'll guess at your gender and say there's plenty of "Wind him up and let him go" fun to reading your Apple-related posts. You don't begrudge your appreciative audience a little fun, do you?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:20 pm

I like that name, Beer Moon. Every time I see the full moon reflect off the lake , I think of drums and the "land of sky blue waters"...

I never meant to imply that PC's were junk. I bought the imac, at this time, because I didn't want certain hassles at this particular time. I work on a PC all day. I might even buy one in the future. My decision wasn't easy for me because of the price. However, after my co-worker just about ripped her hair out from aggravation over her new PC, I was glad I didn't get one, at that particular time. She is a very bright girl, brighter than me. And she is an artist-business woman, who bought a PC. And I bought mine first, then coworker got hers.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:13 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I like that name, Beer Moon. Every time I see the full moon reflect off the lake , I think of drums and the "land of sky blue waters"...

I never meant to imply that PC's were junk.

In fact, if you buy a PC (to mean a Windows PC, since PC refers to the machine; not the OS), the quality is widely variable, from excellent to junk — just as you might expect from a wide range of makers. The same was the case, more or less, during the time that Apple permitted clones. Some believe the reason why Apple shut them down is that clone quality was becoming too much of a threat.

Apple has a long history of aggressively trying to price itself out of the market, but the truth is, they still remain competetive, based on overall costs. In businesses and large organizations, there's a whole IT infrastructure built around keeping Windows systems afloat — vastly beyond what's needed for unix/linux systems. (Here, I'm not talking about the less tangible costs of using a normally operating system that is well designed vs one that is less so.)

So for the individual user/buyer the questions are
How much technical support can I afford, over time?
How much downtime can I afford?
How much up-front costs can I afford?

If finances are bottomed-out at the moment and you expect fairer weather ahead, it may make most sense to get a good-quality Windows machine and pay as you go. Think of it as buying a fixer-upper.

But if you look at a computer as somewhat of an investment, you may what to buckle down and get an Apple machine, especially since it will support any absolutely-needed Windows-only applications.

The other option, of course, is a linux desktop. This is especially appealing for those who can provide their own tech support (there are vast online resources and a helpful community). This is a great option for going on-the-cheap and learning about computing nitty-gritties. But this kind of self-support is simultaneaously exhilirating and wearying, in my experience. And the GUIs? Well, they're improving but tend to emulate Windows rather than breaking new ground. And as for supporting Windows applications -- be prepared to sweat a little.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”