Yet another "Don't trust Charter" story...

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Yet another "Don't trust Charter" story...

Postby jammybastard » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:49 pm

Seems that everytime I try to "upgrade" my cable internet plan they manage to screw something up.
Today I noticed that I was paying $59.99 for the old max 5MB service so I went to their site to see what their latest deal was.
The *new* deal is 10MB for 59.99, but since they don't *autimatically* upgrade you, you have to call and ask them for the upgrade. Other key detail: it's only for 3 mos., then it's $79.99.
So I called to "upgrade".
After being forwarded twice I finally wound up with a foreign accent on a lousy connection.
She says that it's no problem to upgrade me, but only after she "checks with (her) supervisor".
The line goes dead.
So I call back and talk to someone a little closer (Ontario, Canada) who tells me that they did indeed upgrade me. Done deal right? Not quite.
I load up http://speedtest.charter.com and www.speedtest.net and check my speed.
Nothing's changed.
So I call again hoping the third time will be a charm.
It is...sort of.
This time it's tech support in Ontario that tells me that 1. while I was being charged for 10MB service starting today, they did not increase my speed from 5mb to 10mb and 2. they forgot to mention that the the modem that I lease from them (Motorola Surfboard) cannot handle the 10MB service!!!!
Fuckers.
So not only were they charging me for 10MB service, but they didn't even make sure I had the right equipment to get the service I was paying for!

AT&T is looking *real* good right now.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:32 am

Try to call AT&T and ask them for information on their available plans. They refuse to tell you anything. They ask for your phone number and say they will call you back with your options. My wife said it was probably the least helpful phone person she has ever reached. He even started doubting my wife that DSl was available from other vendors in Madison.

I think it's back to TDS for me.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:07 am

I had to set up plans from Chicago, for Madison four years ago. Everything was set up except, waiting over two weeks to get my DSL during September. At that time, I did manage to get an
english-speaking person guide me through a tricky set-up problem until it indeed got solved. It took approximately an hour. But, when it was done, it was done. I've had some pretty awful business dealings and at least I was completely satisfied. Try on-line?

http://www.att.com/gen/landing-pages?pid=3308

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:22 am

I upgraded to the 10MB and also had a Surfboard 3100 from when I first got Charter in '99.

However, the person on the phone verified this with me, and then scheduled someone to come out to replace it - after 5 p.m. with a 15-minute call-ahead. It was pretty much the first thing he asked me when I said I wanted to upgrade to 10MB. They scheduled the appt for Monday - I had called on Saturday.

They didn't call ahead, but I left work a bit early to be there at 5 and the guy showed up right at 5 and hooked me up. It was fast and he made sure to verify the speed before he left.

At any rate, I found the 10MB to be performing more like 7MB, and since I was getting 5MB for $30 less per month, I ended up moving back down after a couple months. Turns out the Surfboard wasn't doing 5MB properly anyway. I picked up a good 150KB/s on downloads after downgrading just with the new modem. My surfboard almost always topped out at 375KB/s. This new Ambit has me breaking 600KB/s on a daily basis. If you have 5MB and a Surfboard, get swapped out to an Ambit or whatever else they have that does the faster speeds.

I was locked into some "deal" where they charge me $200 for a bunch of shit I didn't use enough to get my money's worth. Now I'm on the deal where they charge me $150 for a bunch of shit that I don't use enough to get my money's worth. Needless to say, it's way better.

Veeder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Veeder » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:22 am

Charter is the worst - billing errors galore, terrible service (their online chat never works...and they're a communications/internet company?!) and they're expensive.

I bash Charter every chance I get since they've cost me hours of frustration.

dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby dudemeister » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:05 am

On a related note, if you're using a router behind your cable modem to do wireless or attach more than one computer, that might be a problem with speed as well.

I noticed that when I upgraded to a Linksys WRT54GL from a much older wireless router, my test connection speed doubled.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:09 am

I would have, had our Charter service not been out for over 24 hours.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:22 am

Here's the followup...

went to Charter's Westside storefront at Fish Hatch and PD. The woman working there knows more than their phone CS people and sorted me out.
Got the new modem in, and here's the result...

So far, so good...fingers crossed.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:01 pm

Careful there jammy, sometimes people browse this site at work, and someone might be offended by that geekpr0n.

rezin
Forum Addict

Postby rezin » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:17 pm

ok, now i'm pissed.

my charter dvr has been overheating and is unwatchable so i call and set up an appointment with a technician. 5-7 monday night and noone calls or shows up.

so i'm a good natured person, something slipped up, no problem. i call again and get 3-5 today and NOBODY SHOWS UP AND NOONE CALLS AGAIN!!!!!

that's ridiculous, once i guess i could understand but not twice

UPDATE: dude got here at 6:30, and replaced my dvr. late but better than never
Last edited by rezin on Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:19 pm

Complain at the next BTRB meeting. That was the only way I got any response after Charter put me on home arrest 4 or 5 times and failed to show up, and then billed me for a month of service I never got.

And just FYI, AT&T has a $10 DSL plan they're required to offer as a condition of their recent merger which they're not advertising. Not that I would ever recommend doing business with those anti-American shits anyways, but whatever.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:43 pm

It was my understanding that they were only required to offer the $10 deal to states where they took over Southern Bell, as a part of that merger or whatever.

Don't think the $10 DSL is anywhere - it's only where the feds forced them to do it.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:05 pm

So is Wisconsin part of where they took over Southern Bell or SBC or whatever it was calling itself?

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:13 pm

According to Bruno's link, they have to offer it in all areas they serve, not just where they assimilated BellSouth

But they only have to offer it to their first-time broadband customers.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:28 pm

snoqueen wrote:So is Wisconsin part of where they took over Southern Bell or SBC or whatever it was calling itself?

No, Southern Bell (actually BellSouth) was in the southern U.S.

Southwestern Bell renamed itself SBC, bought Ameritech (our "Baby Bell"), two other Baby Bells, and the post-1984 AT&T, whose name they took.

So, for those keeping score, the eight major companies AT&T was broken up into in 1984 have reassembled into three:
AT&T (4 Baby Bells plus post-breakup AT&T)
Verizon (2 Baby Bells plus GTE)
Qwest (Acquired U S West)

Return to “Technology & Video Games”