Tomb Raider: Anniversary

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Tomb Raider: Anniversary

Postby MadMind » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:00 am

After over a decade of more of the same and lackluster sequels, Crystal Dynamics releases an enhanced version of the original.

The first Tomb Raider was a great game, and from what I've read it doesn't follow the original verbatim so you won't be playing the exact game all over again.
Sounds as if it's worth checking out.

http://www.tombraider.com/anniversary/
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/adventure/t ... index.html

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:14 pm

I'm playing it, and though I'm only two levels in, I'd have to predict that I'm going to have one hell of a time with this one. No, it doesn't follow the original perfectly, but scenes are familiar, nooks and crannies where you once found a medpack are still there and monsters, ahem, animals are still where you expect them to be.

For instance, on the second level of the game (if you can remember back that far), you come down some stairs to find a few huts and a water pool in the center of the room. Sure enough, bear comes charging out of one of the huts, you need to swim through water to get a key, push a crate, climb on crate, get medpack and shotgun shells in room above. Now, it's been a long time since I played the original, but I somehow remembered that if I climbed on that crate, there would be something in the room above.

I can't wait to see the Cistern and take a swan dive off the sphinx's head...

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Tomb Raider: Anniversary

Postby pjbogart » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:00 pm

MadMind wrote:After over a decade of more of the same and lackluster sequels, Crystal Dynamics releases an enhanced version of the original.

Btw, I know people love to pick on the Tomb Raider sequels, but, with the exception of the patheticly unplayable "Angel of Darkness," I enjoyed them all. "Tomb Raider, Last Revelation," while well behind the graphics of other games at that time, was one hell of a challenge and seemed to last forever.

My gripe with the new engine is that for all it's gorgeous environments, perhaps the strain on your computer forced them to tighten up the levels and make them a bit more linear. Part of the fun of the originals was wandering around trying to figure out what the hell you were supposed to be doing.

As for the new one, I haven't had this much fun since "Oblivion," but I think nostalgia has something to do with it.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:21 am

I hear ya. For me there has just been too many sequels and too much of the same.
I mean Tomb Raider, II, III, Revelation, Chronicles, Angel of Darkness, and Legend - that's seven Tomb Raider games (not including Anniversary).
I bought Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider II new back in the day and played through them, collecting everything (which meant playing through more than once).

I picked up Tomb Raider III used and not wanting to play through the game more than once, I attempted to use an online guide to find all the secret caches the first time through to unlock the hidden level. Even using the guide reading the descriptions of locations, I could not for the life of me find one of the secret caches very early on in the game. That frustrated me so much I just quit on the game.

I also picked up Tomb Raider Chronicles for the Dreamcast when stores started selling off DC games for ten bucks or less. I tinkered around with it but I had plenty of other games to play at the time.

Like I said, for me it's just too much of the same. Yet I would like to get Anniversary to recapture some of that awe that I felt when I first plopped down to play the revolutionary new 'Indiana Jones' esque game entitled 'Tomb Raider' for the Playstation back in 1996.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:56 am

My biggest beef with TR:A is the layout on a controller. Seems impossible to map out enough buttons and make it work in game.
Guess I'll have to go back to using the KB.

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:24 pm

It's been years since I played the original. This one is fun but the damn controllers make the game real close to being unplayable. The graphics are good, story good, cutscenes are just long enough, Lara still looks good. Still, the umpteenth time I miss a ledge cause the camera is bouncing around and makes me jump in the wrong direction makes me want to throw the controller out the window. Legend had the same prob but not as bad. It made Angel unplayable though. Message to Crystal Dynamics: FIX YOUR GODDAMN CONTROLS.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:14 am

Some of the camera angles are annoying, especially when it's swinging around and you can't seem to look in the direction you'd like to, but I only had a few problems in "Legend" that made me resent the developers and haven't had any yet in "Anniversary." Not sure if it makes a difference, but I use my keyboard and always have.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:21 pm

Is anyone still working on this beast of a game? For all of the fun I've had, the frustration seems to be most memorable. The game always froze up on install, but somehow the icons appeared and I was able to play. Not sure if that's the problem (doubt it), but I can't seem to perform a headshot to save my life. I muscled my way through the tyrannasaur but couldn't kill the centaurs. Eventually, I gave up and downloaded someone else's savegame file and had a great time with Egypt. Now I'm in Atlantis and trying to climb up the lava filled column thingy and I can't, for the life of me, pull it off.

I like games, and I can do just about anything you throw at me, with a little practice, but parts of this game are simply so hard that they cease to be fun and make me resent the assholes that made it so hard.

Anyone else encountering this, or am I just a quitter?

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:06 pm

Spot on mate. 8) Finally finished the game. Still think the controls are a bitch. The final monster is real easy, like the t-rex. The centaurs are real difficult - I actually had to go online and look up hints to see how to defeat them. Only had to go online twice tho. I got kinda stuck at the lava pyramid area where I died about fifty times trying to get up there. Again, no thanks to the drunken camera. It's still better than this lackluster summer.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:45 pm

uwstudent wrote:Spot on mate. 8) Finally finished the game. Still think the controls are a bitch.

Yeah, but apparently you can do the adrenaline dodge, and I can't. I never see any gray reticules. I tried shift-arrow and space-arrow, which should perform the dodge, but I get nada. Out of curiosity, did you use a controller or your keyboard?

Perhaps the keyboard is simply incapable of pulling off certain parts of the game... or maybe pj is incapable of pulling off parts of the game.

Overall, even though I quit playing (but I intend to finish), this game is first rate fun. The environments are beautiful, the puzzles are challenging (I had a bear of a time with the water filled room in "obelisk") and it's decidedly less linear than "Legend." Even if you never finish, this game is worth playing.

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:52 pm

I've got the PS2 version using standard PS2 controller. Don't know what setup you've got or if the game will let you switch controller types in mid game. I had to practice with the headshot thing a couple of times to get it right and even then it only worked about half the time. The monster would charge BEFORE or AFTER you jumped and knocking you down. After I got the Uzis I just blasted away and ignored the headshot stuff.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”