MP3 Player..do you recommend an IPOD?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
universitylad
Forum God/Goddess

MP3 Player..do you recommend an IPOD?

Postby universitylad » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:18 pm

I'm considering purchasing an Ipod but am a little overwhelmed at all the options.

Is there really much difference between the Apple models and the other brands? What are the pros and cons of getting an apple.

Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Slick Willy » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:41 pm

I got a 2GB iPod nano from my girlfriend for X-mas in 2005, and I've been happy with it. It was easy to learn how to use. Mine is black, so I think it looks pretty cool. I know that iPods are comparable in price to other MP3 players with the same options and they probably function pretty similarly. The biggest difference I've seen between the iPod and other MP3 players is that there WAY more accessories for iPods than for all other MP3 players combined, and that's been nice. The accessories are made by companies other that just Apple, so you get a lot of options whether you're looking for car stereo adapters & docks, cases, headphones, speakers, or whatever.

I use my nano when I exercise and in the car a lot, so it's been banged up a little bit, but it still works fine.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:19 pm

It's been awhile since I shopped for MP3 players, having settled in as an iPod user a few years ago, but my general impression was that iPod got its place as a market leader even though it was NOT the highest-capacity, nor the smallest, nor the cheapest, nor the best sound quality - ultimately, not the top spot in any one of these criteria, but because it finished strongly in all of them, and that made it a good all-around choice for a lot of people.

Of course, the landscape's changed since then, and there's a whole line of iPods, including inexpensive and tiny ones. But there are still higher-capacity ones, better-sounding ones, etc. than what's in Apple's line.

Find what's important to you and go from there.

small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby small cheese » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:24 pm

I got an iPod (nano) because of all the available accessories, which after a year, I own none.

The iPod has worked fine for me until about a month ago. For some reason it won't sync when I connect it, but it will still charge about half the time. It's pissing me off, all the connecting and disconnecting to get it charged, and I'm getting really sick of listening to what's on there. I haven't had time to troubleshoot it yet - and part of me thinks it will be a waste of time because I doubt they have that long of a useful life.

pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:52 am

I've had a mini for exactly 2 years and I love it. A friend of mine has had an ipod for 4 years; according to him: "It still works like new". I'd say these things will last, unlike most other consumer electronic devices on the market. I trust Apple products, I've been a Mac user for 3 years now, and my Powerbook has NEVER crashed, even under heavy processing.

As others have noted, the ipod's ad/da converters are not the best. If you're not used to monitoring multiple tracks in a studio environment and don't demand that level of clarity in the first place, it doesn't matter. Only ultra anal audiophiles would care about the converters. Then again, that's how Apple hit its price point; a top of the line ad/da converter is very expensive.

A for storage; how many continuous hours of music does one even need? If the battery lasts 13 hours, but the device holds 17 hours of music, what's the point? I think the next generation of ipods (post Nano) will have insane capabilities. I'm thinking they will have very few moving parts, which is great. Watch their progress and make a decision.

Apple has been in the multi-media game since the early 80's. Why bother with the clones? But, that's just my opinion.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:33 am

i've had a creative zen touch for years now. i bought it because i got a lot more bang for my buck, storage size wise. i've never had any problems with as far as a piece of hardware. my only complaints have been the software interface creative provides for transferring files to and from my pc.
on the other hand it's far more universal and much easier to share files from, as long as you avoid the actual creative software.
for my money, the ipods are too expensive and too hard to transfer stuff from.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:33 am

The MobiBLU Cube gets the prize for most interesting design, IMO.

But I'm not giving up my 20GB iPod for it.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:39 pm

Sansa 250 here. 2GB, same price as a Nano at the time, played video (won't use it, meh), includes FM radio that works pretty good. Also has a voice recorder that I have no use for. 20hr battery life. Battery replacement kits are $20 from SanDisk site. I've had mine for almost 2 years now and I haven't noticed any degradation.

Songs are automatically indexed by their ID tags, so you don't need to create a lot of playlists. You CAN make playlists on the device manually, but it's a chore. You can't transfer playlists from media player or anything.

Software interface: Drag & Drop. My #1 requirement. Plug in, open folder that says "MUSIC", and drop your music into it. Very forgiving of whether the music is in folders or subdirectories or not. When you unplug it, it refreshes its database using the ID3 tags and bam - all your music is organized by album, artist, genre, etc etc. It also interfaces with WMP, iTunes, or any other software that is capable of syncing up with MP3 players.

Plays all media types (more than the iPod), although I'll never use most of them. You CAN use iTunes with it, if you have a penchant for masochism. Now they come with the Rhapsody service. I know this b/c my buddy just bought the 8GB version. You can still just drag and drop though.

It has actual buttons on it, so when I'm running, I can reach down and skip the song without looking at the thing.

It is compatible with almost every iPod accessory out there, and it is the #2 player next to the iPod. Sansa also has a large selection of their own accessories.

They all have MicroSD slots for expanded capacity. I hear you can only put music on it, and 2GB mSD sticks aren't cheap, but I could double my 2GB player capacity with it if I wanted to. My buddy's 8GB also has this, so he could make it 10GB if he wanted to.

Like all iPod Nano's, the Sansas are solid-state devices and have zero moving parts.

If you want more than 10GB capacity, you'll have to move to the hard-drive based players, which are larger and are no good for running etc., because they can skip.
Last edited by Beer Moon on Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:46 pm

Looks like the 8GB Sansa e280 is $190 on Amazon.

The 8GB Nano is $250.

Just for a brief cost comparison...

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:58 pm

I've never had another brand of MP3 player, so take this for what it's worth: I love, love, LOVE my iPods.

I got a 20GB second-gen iPod four years ago and it still works flawlessly. Weighs about six pounds, though, so it's my stay-at-home model.

Also have a 30GB 5G (video) that I got about a year ago. It's tiny and amazing. There's something so weird and so cool about watching the first season of L&O in the palm of my hand.

Deitrich
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Deitrich » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:43 pm

I have a Creative Zen Micro and a 8G IPod Nano.
I really appreciate the Nano more. Better display, can hold photos and can synch MS Outlook address book although no FM radio, for what its worth.
Plus most accessories are geared for IPods.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:57 pm

If you really want to use the ipod to transfer songs on and off other computers, you can just install the rockbox firmware which uses a "sane" folder structure, unlike itunes.

I'm not a huge fan of their store, but the zune looks pretty slick too. That might be my 2nd choice, I guess.

Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Slick Willy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:16 pm

For some reason the 80GB Zune costs $490 whereas the 80GB iPod is only $350. When comparing the two, the only difference I could find was that the Zune's display is a half an inch bigger - hardly worth an extra $140. If I was going to spend close to $500 for a MP3 player, I'd just wait for the iPhone to come out.

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:23 pm

If I were to pay $500 for an MP3 player it better store more than 8gb... I just don't get the appeal of the iphone for that reason. That, and the fact that it's only on cingular.

Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Slick Willy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:42 pm

As much as I like my iPod, I must admit that Samsung's new generation Bluetooth MP3 players seem to have the most features & highest quality for your buck, but they're only available in 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB models. 4GB will hold about 1000 songs. They just came out at the beginning of this year.A 4GB Samsung is $180 and a 4GB iPod is $200. The Samsung has a 1.8 inch display and 30 hour audio playback battery life compared to the iPod's 1.5 inch display and 24 hour audio playback battery life. Both play videos and store pictures. The one thing I really like about Samsung's new players is that you can use them with Bluetooth wireless headsets, which is something that iPods of that same size don't offer. Like the iPod, they come with ear buds if those are more to your liking.

Here's a link to the new 4GB Samsung YP-T9JAB atBest Buy.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”