Next-Gen Stepping Up Online Offerings

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Next-Gen Stepping Up Online Offerings

Postby MadMind » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:32 am

Xbox Live Arcade to offer Casltevania: Symphony of the Night, and from that comes the news that
Castlevania to break Live Arcade size limit.
Konami says its Symphony of the Night won't fit in 50MB; Microsoft's Greg Canessa addresses implications for future XBLA games.

Now, The PlayStation 3's download service just got heavy with the release of Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection..
Though it isn't available on the US version of Sony's PlayStation Store just yet, Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection is now available for purchase in Hong Kong and Japan.
The download clocks in at over 800MB and is selling for around $16 in the Hong Kong store. What you get for that money appears to be an arcade-perfect conversion of Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, which is the upgrade to Tekken 5 that adds new characters and moves.
Last edited by MadMind on Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toxic Ned

Postby Toxic Ned » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:21 am

If I still didn't have my PS1 copy of SOTN, that right there would be incentive enough for me to buy a 360.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:59 am

Toxic Ned wrote:If I still didn't have my PS1 copy of SOTN, that right there would be incentive enough for me to buy a 360.

The 360 will need the 120GB hard drive ugrade, HDMI and DVR capabilities for me to purchase it. So end of this year at the earliest.

ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Postby ms4denmark » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:47 pm

Toxic Ned wrote:If I still didn't have my PS1 copy of SOTN, that right there would be incentive enough for me to buy a 360.

Two words for why 360 is worth it: Geometry Wars

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:02 pm

MadMind wrote:The download clocks in at over 800MB and is selling for around $16 in the Hong Kong store.

At that size & price, shouldn't they just make Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection available in-store rather than making it a download only?

SOTN is a terrific game, I still have my PSOne copy as well.
Although to quote the article, "Konami has said the game will feature enhanced graphics and sound, widescreen support, achievements, and leaderboards. Players will be able to choose between the original graphics or enhanced visuals that mitigate sprite pixilation when the game is played in high-definition."
Beer Moon wrote:The 360 will need the 120GB hard drive ugrade, HDMI and DVR capabilities for me to purchase it. So end of this year at the earliest.

Beer Moon you are such a tech snob! You buy a console for the games beer moon, the games!

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:44 pm

Ported to virtually every platform back in the day (over a dozen), 1989's Prince of Persia establishes a definitive version within Xbox Live's ($10) Prince of Persia Classic, more than 15 years after it's original release date.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:47 pm

Nintendo Wii Virtual Console Titles
Xbox Live Arcade Titles
Playstation Network Titles

Could this mark the end of value priced classic gaming compilations? The last to be released (not including handheld consoles) was Taito Legends 2 on the PS2 back in May.
I haven't heard of any classic gaming compilations announced to be released for next-gen consoles thus far.

If all classic games go downloadable via online, consumers may be in for convenience, but out of value.

Just to compare, take the Sega Genesis Collection.
28 Sega Genesis games on the Wii's Virtual Console would run you (800 pts each=$8 ) $224.
Or Taito Legends.
40 Coin-Op Classics on Xbox Live would cost you (400 pts each=$5) $200.
Last edited by MadMind on Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:45 pm

At $9 a pop, NeoGeo games coming to US Wii.

First TG-16 CD games for Wii's Virtual Console detailed.
This is an interesting development and it raises some questions.
One of my favorite and most notable things to come out of the beginning of CD-based gaming was that of red book audio. Having CD-quality soundtracks with games also took up most of the space on the CD's, and would stream directly off the CD.
How will they work these soundtracks into the emulated versions? I just have a difficult time understanding how it will even be possible.

Some say the CD sound will be compressed to fit in the Wii's (tiny) 512mb memory, and to expect decreased sound quality. Another questioned whether they will use Mp3 compression technology.

One last thing - I am not alone in hoping TG-16 CD games will pave the way to make Sega CD games available on the Virtual Console.

Original Xbox games coming to Live Marketplace
"In conjunction with its ongoing celebration of the fifth anniversary of Xbox Live, Microsoft today announced that it will be selling Halo, Fable, Psychonauts, Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge, and Burnout 3 for download from the Xbox Live Marketplace early next month.
Calling the program Xbox Originals, Microsoft will sell the games for 1,200 Microsoft points ($15) each, and the company is promising to expand the number of games offered over the coming year."
I picked up Crimson Skies used for $3.99, Burnout 3 brand new at Circuit City for $6 even, and you can purchase Fable for $9.99 new. Psychonauts at $15 on the other hand is a steal. It's difficult enough to find Psychonauts used.

Q&A: Microsoft on Xbox Originals
Xbox Live group marketing manager Aaron Greenberg fills in the blanks on the plan to make last-gen's best and brightest downloadable on Xbox 360.
Last edited by MadMind on Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:00 pm

Rez HD on Xbox Live Arcade
Along with Psychonauts, Rez HD is another (otherwise hard to come by) title that is well worth the paltry 800pts on Xbox Live Arcade.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:22 pm

MadMind wrote:At $9 a pop, NeoGeo games coming to US Wii.

Forget that noise! Just wait until April 28th for SNK Arcade Classics Vol.1 for the PS2. "16 NeoGeo games on one disc, featuring, Art of Fighting, Baseball Stars 2, Burning Fight, Fatal Fury, KOF94, King of the Monsters, Last Resort, Magician Lord, Metal Slug, Neo Turf Masters, Samurai Shodown, Sengoku, Shock Troopers, Super Sidekicks3, Top Hunter, World Heroes."

It's wild, if this were the early 90's it'd cost in the neighborhood of three thousand dollars to own all those games in their original neo-geo incarnations :shock:

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:28 pm

Things I'd like to see on Xbox Live;

1) Sega match Xbox Live with offerings comparable of that of Wii's virtual console - i.e. Gunstar Heroes, Beyond Oasis, Landstalker, Alien Storm etc.

2) 3rd party PSP exclusives on Xbox Live - i.e. Capcom's Ultimate Ghosts N' Goblins, Konami's Gradius Collection etc.
Last edited by MadMind on Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:10 pm

Sonic 1 and 2 are $8 on Wii virtual console and are just genesis roms.

Sonic 1 and 2 on $5 XBLA and are enhanced with upscaled graphics, leaderboards, achievements, and in Sonic 2 online racing.

Wii only has so many games because it takes so little effort to put them out. and the pricing is wrong.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:26 am

Shipley wrote:Sonic 1 and 2 are $8 on Wii virtual console and are just genesis roms.

Sonic 1 and 2 on $5 XBLA and are enhanced with upscaled graphics, leaderboards, achievements, and in Sonic 2 online racing.

Wii only has so many games because it takes so little effort to put them out. and the pricing is wrong.

Good points. Xbox Live is clearly the superior service.
Not only that but on Xbox Live you get the superior arcade ports over the NES/SNES/Genesis ports of games like Contra, Super Contra, Paperboy, Double Dragon, Golden Axe, Pac-Man, Galaga, Rush N' Attack, Smash TV, Street Fighter II, Track & Field etc.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:23 am

As much as I enjoy/want/respect the offerings on Xbox Live Arcade, I still don't think online offerings are worth their respective purchase prices.
Wish their was a way to get them for free! They need to have more online sales/sales on the cards.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:32 am

Doom is going half price starting tomorrow, keep an eye on older games getting cheaper.

I'm expecting to pay $15 or more for Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.

Rememeber that these are smaller games, but they still have people making them, and still cost money to produce. Unlike add-on content for games, theres no other revenue for a game like Poker Smash for those developers to get money from.
At least you can play the trials for free.

on the downloadable front, Burnout Paradise is going to get new islands to race on for free soon. the only content they're going to charge for is new cars. Which I'll probably still buy since I'm a whore for this franchise.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”