Sony Playstation 3

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:24 am

PS3 to get upscaled DVDs, 1080p/24, Improved SACD support
Not sure when, but the PS3 team is reportedly on the case.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:13 am

PS3 VS. Xbox 360: Graphics Showdown

In many cases the PS3 graphics are slightly inferior to the Xbox 360's. Oddly, in many PS3 versions of games the graphics are brighter and more washed out.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:08 pm

MadMind wrote:
MadMind wrote:Nolan Bushnell Criticizes Sony's PS3 Strategy
Nolan Bushnell says;
"I think Sony shot themselves in the foot... there is a high probability [they] will fail. The price point is probably unsustainable. For years and years Sony has been a very difficult company to deal with from a developer standpoint. They could get away with their arrogance and capriciousness because they had an installed base. They have also historically had horrible software tools. You compare that to the Xbox 360 with really great authoring tools [and] additional revenue streams from Xbox live...a first party developer would be an idiot to develop for Sony first and not the 360. People don't buy hardware, they buy software."

Another scathing review;
New York Times not impressed with PS3

Another; Time says PS3 was a bust

Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Slick Willy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:25 pm

As promised, Sony came out with 1 million PS3's in North America by the end of 2006 and is on track to release 6 million worldwide by the end of this year.

I agree that the game launch titles were unimpressive, but if you have any memory at all of the link I posted earlier in this thread, you might recall C|NET's reviewer, David Carnoy, saying:

"It's always hard to review a new system right out of the gate because it really takes developers a year or even two years to make games that are truly impressive for the system, so the launch titles for the PS3 aren't all that impressive. The graphics, really, are about on par with the Xbox 360 at this point, so there isn't really a game out there that truly distinguishes itself."

When comparing the PS3 to the Xbox 360, David Carnoy also said:

"If you look at the build quality, and the feature set, and the potential of future games, PS3 really starts to look like a better deal."

As far as its price is concerned, it's still the cheapest Blu-ray player on the market at $499, so it's a great deal relatively speaking.

That said, I think TIME's Dec 17 article about the PS3 being a bust was completely premature. They were just using the highly publicized PS3 launch for some cheap shots, which is easy to do since PlayStation is still the big dog in the home video game console market.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:55 am

And yet, another speed bump;
European PS3 Console Will Launch With Different Hardware, Less Backwards Compatability

Gamespot's Gut Reactions

What worries me is this; some are speculating that Sony will default to producing this new model universally and stop production on the present US/Japan model. Eventually making the new model the dominant format in Japan and the US. And for those like myself who place high importance in backwards-compatibility who do not yet own a PS3, we'd be SOL.

Then again, current backwards-compatibility is so marred that either way, I'd be hanging onto my PS2.
Maybe the fact that backwards-compatibility with the PS3 never turned into what it should've been weighed-in on the decision to drop most of it altogether within the new model.

Bucky Goldstein
Forum Addict

Postby Bucky Goldstein » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:03 pm

the PS3 has left me pretty cold. resistance was a cool game(but too easy and the ending sucked), and fight night 3 is really fun...but other than that i'm just 'eh'. i rented def jam's ICON last week and barely played it.

also, blu-ray movies haven't done anything for me either. me thinks blu-ray/HD-DVD is going to be the laser disc of the 21st century.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon May 07, 2007 12:41 am

The "father of the Playstation", Ken Kutaragi, resigns.
Some analysts believe he was pushed out due to the PS3 not meeting expectations.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu May 17, 2007 12:48 am

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:32 pm

Sony announces job cuts.
What's so great about the PS3...uh...nice graphics?
Even the controllers are lame.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:11 am

Gamespot's Xbox 360 Vs. Playstation 3 Graphics Comparison: Part 2!

Judge for yourself. I prefer the 360's more saturated colors and darker darks to the PS3's bright and washed out graphics, even if the PS3's graphics are more detailed/higher resolution.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:39 pm

Heavenly Sword, not the killer app some were prophesizing it to be.
Heavenly Sword Ratings
Good, but not great. Clocking in at a short 6 1/2 hours cuts down it's potential.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:46 pm

Return to “Technology & Video Games”