Sony Playstation 3

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Sony Playstation 3

Postby MadMind » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:38 pm

I really don't have much to say about the PS3 so far, other than the $600 price-tag is a really hard swallow. I think they've over-estimated their market.
Here's proof that Sony is beginning to realize that.

Official Site
Gamespot PS3 Launch Center

newt

Postby newt » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:13 pm

i was biking to work on tuesday at 4:30 am, and i saw about 10 people huddled up in front of EB games an state st. i was wondering what hte hell was going on, then later in the day i found out they were taking pre-orders for the PS3. looks like a few people are biting...

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:42 pm

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:04 pm

So does anyone here plan on purchasing a PS3 before 2007 rolls around?
If so, what games are you getting it for? What games do you plan on getting before 2007 hits?

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:57 am

Nolan Bushnell Criticizes Sony's PS3 Strategy
Nolan Bushnell says;
"I think Sony shot themselves in the foot... there is a high probability [they] will fail. The price point is probably unsustainable. For years and years Sony has been a very difficult company to deal with from a developer standpoint. They could get away with their arrogance and capriciousness because they had an installed base. They have also historically had horrible software tools. You compare that to the Xbox 360 with really great authoring tools [and] additional revenue streams from Xbox live...a first party developer would be an idiot to develop for Sony first and not the 360. People don't buy hardware, they buy software."

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby uwstudent » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:28 pm

$600? ouch.
Still think the gamecube is better than the PS2 for my money. I'll wait a few years.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:43 pm

I'll buy any platform that I can play "Guitar Hero" on!

Personally I will buy a Wii when one is conveniently in stock. My reason is simple: it's family friendly and it encourages players to get off their ass and move around a bit. That's a pleasent change.

Sony always impresses me with trying to push the envelope no matter the potential downside to their bottom line.
The PS3 has alot of cool tech under the hood, and in a year I'll take a serious look at one after all the early adopters have beta tested it for the rest of us.
Remember the overheating problems the first bactch of XBOX360's had? No doubt the PS3 will have issues as well, and I'd rather someone else sort that out on their dime and not on mine.

BTW - Buy an XBOX360 and Wii and you'll still come in $50 less than the PS3.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:03 pm

400,000 PS3s will ship to the US before 2007.

I'm going to give it a shot on Friday after work to see what is up with lines etc.

You'll be able to sell it for $2000 on ebay before Christmas. At least.

I should have preordered!!

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:38 pm

jammybastard wrote:No doubt the PS3 will have issues as well, and I'd rather someone else sort that out on their dime and not on mine.

Speaking of which...
PS3 backward compatibility marred.
Sony's PlayStation 3 is encountering problems playing approximately 200 PlayStation, PlayStation 2 games.

Toxic Ned

Postby Toxic Ned » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:49 pm

jammybastard wrote:I'll buy any platform that I can play "Guitar Hero" on!

Good luck. Looks like they're having issues with the Guitar Hero controllers working on the PS3.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:03 pm

A few early reviews are available.

Resistance: Fall Of Man is garnering some solid reviews. The thing that bothers me is that unless you have a high-def set, it may be difficult to distinguish the games visuals from current-gen equivalents.

One thing that surprised me is that reviewers recommended the Xbox 360 versions of Call Of Duty 3 and Tony Hawk Project 8 over the PS3 counterparts, mainly because of erratic/inconsistent framerates on the PS3 versions.

Genji: Days Of The Blade is getting less than average scores.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:55 pm

Sony had manufacturing issues. 250-300,000 on launch day only, with 1.2 million coming end of January.

Unsure at this point if the missing 100,000 or so from the first launch will be shipped later in Nov or Dec.

Japan went live on the 11th with 88,500.

If you could get one (they release at midnight tonight), you could make bank.

Dammit. I should have preordered.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:16 am

There were about 20 people in line at the eastside Best Buy last night - tents, chairs, etc. I asked the store manager and she said they'd probably give out line vouchers or something.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:27 am

I'm a big fan of Sony stuff in general, but I think that the PS3 will be as close to a bomb as Sony's goign to get, in the post-Betamax era, anyway.

Rushed to production, lacking significant features that were trumpeted pre-release, and a ridiculous price point. Add to that, the fact that the high-def DVD format war hasn't even begun, much less been won by Blu-Ray, and you've got all the ingredients for a qualified disaster.

If the Wii weren't so innovative, PS3 might have a chance to play out well enough for Sony. But with Wii coming out at half the price and at least twice the innovation, I don't see how Sony will see its expectations met with PS3.

And this only proves once again that Nintendo is the only true "gaming" platform. Sony and, to a lesser extent, Microsoft are crafting multimedia platforms that have a certain derision for pure gaming (otherwise, they wouldn't try to make their consoles mini-computers). Nintendo is all about the game experience, flat out.

Does anyone else think that a spectacular Easter egg on the Wii Sports disc (included, hello!) would be to include the original Duck Hunt somewhere?

EDIT: Shoulda looked it up first. Didn't know about Virtual Console.

ms4denmark
Forum Addict

Postby ms4denmark » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:12 pm

I went to CC and Best Buy to get picks of people in line. But, due to those stupid holiday hours, the crowd has already dissipated. Check out this shot of it's going price on ebay.

--------------
phlogging madison...

Return to “Technology & Video Games”