XBox 360

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:53 am

a modded OG xbox is a seriously powerful system, no doubt about it. running emulation and upscaling DVDs to 720p or 1080i, it does stuff the 360 can't or won't do. but Halo 3 and Burnout Paradise > Halo 2 and Burnout Revenge, so i game 360!

i want to add that the audio playback is in the dashboard/profile blade so you can start up a playlist and then go through multiple games without it stopping.

Also, video playback now supports divx and mp4 in additon to wmv and other codecs, so my thumbdrive trick works just fine for watching The 1Up Show and the episode of Terminator I missed and had to download last week on my 42" tv instead of my 20" monitor.

paulie
Forum Addict

Postby paulie » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:11 pm

*sigh.

soooo many reasons to get a 360 now, i almost can't avoid it.

maybe thats where my tax rebate check will go!

bah, who am i kidding, that money is getting poured into motorcycle mods. i dont even really play games anymore, aside from the occasional FPS on my PC, and some two player super nintendo action with the significant other. my OG box is pretty much just on jukebox and movie player duty these days.

carry on! :wink:

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:47 pm

Boy I am I glad they extended the warranty, mere days after the 1 year mark, my 360 started to freeze up.

mcs_madison
Forum Addict

Postby mcs_madison » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:16 pm

Shipley wrote:Boy I am I glad they extended the warranty, mere days after the 1 year mark, my 360 started to freeze up.

Yep...Just sent mine back last week for the "Ring of Death repair", let's see if I ever get it back. I'm not holding my breath...I had to register it on-line to open the WO and get the free shipping box, but when I go to check on the status it says I have no devices registered... Ummm...Huh? Me thinks I'm screwed...

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:29 am

Has anyone seen any Xbox 360 Premium bundles w/Forza 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance left over in stores anywhere? I know supplies of the bundles have dwindled after the holiday season.

Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:26 am

Only the HOLIDAY version of this bundle included those two games, so you would basically have to find a store or seller who still had holiday stock.

Now, the same console just comes without the games. Probably likely to be Falcon, and of course HDMI.

If it's any consolation, I thought MUA sucked. I was pleasantly surprised by FM2, though - I'm not usually into racing games but it was fun.

You might try Amazon to see if any sellers have any left. With a 3 yr manufacturer's warranty, Ebay might be a way to go too. You tend to get a few games included, but you need to be careful not to get an old version (assuming HDMI is important).

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:35 am

Beer Moon wrote:Only the HOLIDAY version of this bundle included those two games, so you would basically have to find a store or seller who still had holiday stock.

Yeah I know. I actually saw one this past week.
I was just trying to decide whether it'd be worth it to pay full price for the holiday bundle versus the bare bones premium at 10% off. I think I may have to go with the 10% discount since I already have 10 360 games anyhow.

I'm about to board the 360 train people!
I have 10 games, a router w/broadband, and a new HD-DVD drive. I'm set! I saved the most critical (and expensive) component for last.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:34 pm

Amazing, 10 games and no system?

once mine gets back from repair I'm going to wait until the next good bundle or the successor to the Elite and trade up. will cost me a few bucks in the long run, but I'll re-up my warranty...

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:30 am

Well, I hope I got a Falcon.
Can't recall the lot# offhand, but it's well beyond #0734.
Manufactured 2007-12-26.
Team CSON.
Label marked 203W. 175W in box.

Where does the warranty coverage stand these days? Do you have to pay?

Now I just need the battery charger, and a 50' ethernet cable.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:48 am

Warranty is 3 years. you don't pay for anything. Microsoft will repair or replace your console for 3 years.

one made in December is probably the newest you'll find on the market.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:57 pm

Well I've been making love to my 360 over the weekend.
10 games and I've only got around to playing a little bit of one. Xbox Live has been stealing my attention!
I'm impressed at the offerings of Xbox Live. My previous online gaming experience was limited to a few games on the Sega Dreamcast, so yeah, I'm impressed.

I had previously been a bit skeptical of the arcade originals, but I haven't yet played one I didn't enjoy. Some of them are some simple throw-backs to arcade games from the eighties and nineties.
Purchasing many of these games is very very tempting. I may have to get an Xbox Live Arcade buy-one-get-one-free card on sale at Target this week.

Been downloading alot of game trailers and game demos. NOW I can see where the larger hard drive would come in handy. I've only had the 360 a few days and I already have over half the 20gig HD filled up.

And as for the HD-DVD drive, I don't have an HDTV so I was wondering if I'd even be able to tell the difference between DVD and HD on a tube. You can, both in visuals and sound. Watched The Thing on HD-DVD over the weekend.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:51 pm

Arcade is the killer app for 360. I own probably 20 arcade games at this point. Check out Rez, Pac-Man Championship Edition, N+, and Geometry Wars. Try to avoid getting Street Fighter II, since they've got a revamped Super SFII Turbo on the way later this year.

Keep an eye on demos and trailers, they eat up far more space than arcade games.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:51 pm

Can't...stop...diddling with Xbox Live. I'll never get to the games I actually own at this rate!
I'm tempted to download almost everything at least once :!:

Shipley wrote:Try to avoid getting Street Fighter II, since they've got a revamped Super SFII Turbo on the way later this year.

Well, that won't be difficult. I already have almost every iteration of SFII on Capcom Classics Vol.1 and also have SF Alpha Anthology - both on the PS2.
That's already like, a dozen too many SF games.
I wish they would've crammed all the characters/features/moves/backgrounds of each SF series into one game each (SF, SFII/Super SFII, SFIII, SF Alpha, SF-EX) and put all those onto a singular compilation disc!

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:43 am

Shipley wrote:Keep an eye on demos and trailers, they eat up far more space than arcade games.

You're not kidding, especially when alot of the game demos are over a gig. I just downloaded the Turok demo the other night. They make take up alot of memory, but it's awesome to have the option!

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:11 am

MadMind wrote:I wish they would've crammed all the characters/features/moves/backgrounds of each SF series into one game each (SF, SFII/Super SFII, SFIII, SF Alpha, SF-EX) and put all those onto a singular compilation disc!

Street Fighter Alpha 3 on PS1 and Dreamcast has every fighter from SF2, SF Alpha, and Final Fight (except Mike Haggar), and every move and super combo configuration.

nothing included from SF3, but its as close to an ultimate collection as exists.

Return to “Technology & Video Games”