self-driving vehicles

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Re: self-driving vehicles

Postby Roy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:46 pm

gargantua wrote:Would that be true in the event of a massive solar flare? Fortunately it is rare for us to be directly in the path of a solar event, but it's happened before.

In the event of a massive solar flare, the only hope for any satellite is if they can shut it down in time. As the sun is constantly monitored, they would likely have some warning. I have no idea how long it takes to get a satellite shut down.

But that would only be a small part of the problem. There would likely be a huge, maybe country wide blackout as all power grids are also susceptible. If in winter, no heat, light etc. No traffic lights, so whether human or self driven it would be a mess at best.

All the markets and wall street would be down. Just about everything in your world would be affected.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:03 pm

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I hope it waits until after I check out.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:20 pm

gargantua wrote:How do I get ahold of them?

Should be pretty easy. I don't think they're ticklish.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:52 am

for the aforementioned reasons, i am inclined to think that a "smart" cloud-connected pacemaker, implantable defibrillator, implantable morphine/hydromorphone/oxymorphone/nicomorphine/ketobemidone/piritramide/dextromoramide/fentanyl/&c pump would not be a good idea either . . . just give the patients phials and hypodermic syringes and written instructions, same as it has been done for 150 years -- nitroglycerine/p e t n /insulin and clonidine too . . .

Return to “Catch All”