Shrub Removal Tips

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Athena
Forum Addict

Re: Shrub Removal Tips

Postby Athena » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:15 pm

Definitely don't do the attach the shrub to your car thing. I've read too many horror stories online on gardening forums about people wrecking their car doing that. I recommend sawing it off at ground level - if the trunk is thick you can rent a chainsaw or borrow one but a good hand saw will work for most shrubs. Mine is from Bruce Co. and it is great. Then pour or paint undiluted Roundup on the stump. You want to do this right after you cut it so the Roundup is absorbed before it starts to heal. Wait a few days then plant. Sure, you'll have to cut through the old roots to dig the new hole but it won't hurt the new plant any.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:47 pm

The juniper is my worry. From my recollection the trunk is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick. The branches span 4 ft.X 12 ft. I just looked. I'd like to replace it with something about a third of that span. If it is indeed a maple that is trying to grow through it, if it's well placed I may just let that grow and perhaps plant a pretty border around it. I have a full bottle of Round Up but I'm a little concerned about if and how it would dissipate. I may also dig out old wood chips and put down plastic to prevent weeds.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:25 pm

Try the Jimmie J.J. Walker Method: DY-NO-MITE!!!

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:09 pm

If you use round-up, don't apply it to the soil. Once you've cut the trunk, apply it directly to the cut. It may take several applications, but this limits the toxins to the plant itself. I did this with a number of buckthorn trunks (4-5 inches in diameter) that I didn't want to dig out.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:11 pm

fennel wrote:If you use round-up, don't apply it to the soil. Once you've cut the trunk, apply it directly to the cut. It may take several applications, but this limits the toxins to the plant itself. I did this with a number of buckthorn trunks (4-5 inches in diameter) that I didn't want to dig out.

Correct, but you can't apply much to the flat cut. This is why I drilled a few holes in the stumps for the weed killer. What I apply by pouring it into the holes is much more than you can apply to the cut.

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:12 am

green union terrace chair wrote:Try the Jimmie J.J. Walker Method: DY-NO-MITE!!!

I suggested C4, but then sno came along and talked him out of it.

I'm pretty sure he was leaning that way too before she chimed in.

So close...

*sigh :x

Return to “Catch All”