Reward vs Punishment

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Reward vs Punishment

Postby wack wack » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:00 pm

Ninja wrote:
wack wack wrote:I didn't realize you were an expat, where do you live?

Oh Madison...

So predictably "edgy."

Guess you missed the NSA story, huh?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:28 pm

My family was insured by Prudential for many years. The closest thing we ever got as a reward was lower premiums!

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:21 pm

I think the idea of using traffic camera imagery to randomly reward good drivers is brilliant.

1) It'd be easier to pass the necessary laws to set the system up (the public loves a lottery, as we already know); and

2) I personally would be a regular winner. I'm the person following all the laws, and I'm not even carrying weed. I'm just boring, that's all.

baked goods

Postby baked goods » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:46 pm

I’ve never been on welfare. Where is my reward?

I’ve never assaulted anyone. Where is my reward?

I’ve never spoken ill about someone who produces in public. Where is my reward?

I’ve never assaulted anyone’s business. Where is my reward?

My parents aren’t rich. Where is my reward?

My parents aren’t connected with the correct government and financial insiders. Where is my reward?

My grandparents are connected. Where is my reward?

The problem with your theory is it requires someone else besides oneself to care and reward what you see as desired behaviors. That means you still would have to have an authority allotting something, besides a punishment… which would incentivize behavior that would eventually be gammed by those incentivizing. Your theory isn’t any better than what we already have. Besides, what you define as proper and good isn’t universally agreed upon as proper and good. Sure SWPLs agree with you, but SWPLs are clowns.

Besides we already have an incentive that would reach the ends you desire. It’s called tradable skills. Try them sometime. Very cost effective mechanism minus all the goofy social engineering preferred by Madison leftists.

ouroborus4
Forum Addict

Postby ouroborus4 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:51 pm

baked goods wrote:I’ve never been on welfare. Where is my reward?

I’ve never assaulted anyone. Where is my reward?

I’ve never spoken ill about someone who produces in public. Where is my reward?

I’ve never assaulted anyone’s business. Where is my reward?

My parents aren’t rich. Where is my reward?

My parents aren’t connected with the correct government and financial insiders. Where is my reward?

My grandparents are connected. Where is my reward?

The problem with your theory is it requires someone else besides oneself to care and reward what you see as desired behaviors. That means you still would have to have an authority allotting something, besides a punishment… which would incentivize behavior that would eventually be gammed by those incentivizing. Your theory isn’t any better than what we already have. Besides, what you define as proper and good isn’t universally agreed upon as proper and good. Sure SWPLs agree with you, but SWPLs are clowns.

Besides we already have an incentive that would reach the ends you desire. It’s called tradable skills. Try them sometime. Very cost effective mechanism minus all the goofy social engineering preferred by Madison leftists.

WTF? Keep up buddy. The premise of this thread is that if the goal of law enforcement is to change behavior to improve public safety, a reward approach is scientifically more valid than the current punishment approach. The automated traffic cam approach could be very effective at producing random awards across the system without getting into sticky legal issues, and keeping the system unpredictable so as not to be 'gamed'. The camera system could be implemented to alternate between different locations and reward schedules so that people could not predict where the rewards would come from, and it would eliminate human bias. funds would come from the punitive tickets that are still issued for violations. Please contribute to the converstation intead of attacking "madison liberals".

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:57 pm

Ignore him. Dude's a pixie.

baked goods

Postby baked goods » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:09 pm

ouroborus4 wrote:I'm in college and I think I'm an authority. I can't tell the difference between evidence and an opinion. I drop the word science so I think I'm cool.

Do you know what the scientific consensus is? You have no idea what you are talking about. Anyone can drop the word science and pretend they are authoritative.

By the way, your reading comprehension needs to catch up. Your quote is wrong.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:18 pm

Baked goods? He's a tea-roll.

baked goods

Postby baked goods » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:22 pm

Sno-crone,

You thought you were cool putting me on ignore, but then couldn't help yourself.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:32 pm

Once again baked goods coming thru in the clutch.

You do understand she spelled T-R-O-L-L differently to get around the pixie problem? Plus a play on baked goods.

Sno-crone is not a play on Snoqueen.

ouroborus4
Forum Addict

Postby ouroborus4 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:35 pm

ouroborus4 wrote: The camera system could be implemented to alternate between different locations and reward schedules so that people could not predict where the rewards would come from, and it would eliminate human bias. funds would come from the punitive tickets that are still issued for violations. Please contribute to the converstation intead of attacking "madison liberals".

In fact if the rewards were based on the punitive ticket income, as behaviors improved from the rewards and fewer punitive tickets were issued, rewards would also decrease as less income was coming in. As fewer rewards were issued, more 'bad' behavior would be present, and more punitive tickets issued and more rewards could be issued again. It would be a cycle in equilibruim. You're never going to stop speeding altogether, but this seems entirely possible and potentially very effective.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:36 pm

ouroborus4 wrote:
ouroborus4 wrote: The camera system could be implemented to alternate between different locations and reward schedules so that people could not predict where the rewards would come from, and it would eliminate human bias. funds would come from the punitive tickets that are still issued for violations. Please contribute to the converstation intead of attacking "madison liberals".

In fact if the rewards were based on the punitive ticket income, as behaviors improved from the rewards and fewer punitive tickets were issued, rewards would also decrease as less income was coming in. As fewer rewards were issued, more 'bad' behavior would be present, and more punitive tickets issued and more rewards could be issued again. It would be a cycle in equilibruim. You're never going to stop speeding altogether, but this seems entirely possible and potentially very effective.

I like how you think but I don't think it will work.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:45 pm

You thought you were cool putting me on ignore, but then couldn't help yourself.

He outs himself.

Anybody who hasn't figured it out yet: this is our own Larry the Pixie, back from the dead and posting on a different schedule.

Did he get a personality transplant when he went on vacation? Seems not.

He first gave himself away when for no reason at all he zeroed in on Levitan, whom he still hates like poison.

And so it goes.

Thanks to Ned for cluing us in on the Shittens -- we're gonna need a case or two.

baked goods

Postby baked goods » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:56 pm

I'm not Ann.

baked goods

Postby baked goods » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:00 pm

ouroborus4 wrote:In fact if the rewards were based on the punitive ticket income, as behaviors improved from the rewards and fewer punitive tickets were issued, rewards would also decrease as less income was coming in.

This wannabe doesn't know what a fact is. He must think he's cool using the word fact. Please tell me he isn't collecting grant money.

Return to “Catch All”