Pens

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pens

Postby Mean Scenester » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:18 pm

Man, I've tried those Sharpie pens and thought they were crap. Nothing Sharpie makes other than the original Sharpie has ever impressed me.

Pentel Energel pens are my current favorite aside from on I received as a gift that uses Parker refills and an old school fountain pen that writes beautifully but is a pain in the ass because ... well, it's a freakin' fountain pen.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:23 pm

Ducatista wrote:
wack wack wrote:But I'm supposed to be worried about the government tracking me?

No kidding.

I googled Proenza Schouler the other day just to check the spelling, and now I'm greeted with hideous, sawtoothed PS ads whenever my ramblings land me on a downmarket website. "Hideous" and "downmarket" don't exactly fit the brand, but there they are...

Please tell me you were trying to write the sentence "Who in the world would spend that much for a Proenza Schouler shoulder bag?"

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:34 pm

Ha! I don't remember what I wrote, but I do know that it was a snotty reference. (And now I'm paying for it. Again and again.)

Copeland84

Postby Copeland84 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:12 pm

I like the Inkjoy pens, as well as the clear Pilot with the metal tip. Unfortunately, they are both plastic, so they tend to break when I sit on them. (I keep em in the back pocket.)
For that reason, I go with metal pens, and then change out the refills to something that writes nice. I love cool pens, and have found that the nicer the pen I carry, the less likely I am to lose it.

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:01 pm

I saw this thread the other day, but wasn't compelled to share my feelings. So, of course, yesterday, my work bag tumbled in my car, and I didn't notice my pen had fallen out until today, when I was away from the office and needed to write with a pen for a few hours. My arm is sore from dragging that discarded ball-point I found over all those pages. Sorry for dismissing you, pen deities.

After a modicum of testing a few years ago, this is what I found works best for me. Smooth writing, and the ink dries faster than other gel pens I have tried, so no more smears.

MissWorld
Forum Addict

Postby MissWorld » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:04 am

Caran d'Ache makes some really nice ballpoints that fall in your price range. There are some slim-barreled metal ones that have a nice heft to them and come in a variety of bright colors, which make them easier to keep track of -- also a (still attractive) frosted plastic one that retails for only about $7 or so and writes like a dream. No lie - those Swiss don't fuck around. You can get both types at the University Book Store, where you can also test most pens before you buy. I'm a fan of Lamy pens too, but based on your criteria, I think Caran d'Ache fits the bill.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:40 pm

Picked up a Uniball Jetstream at the Hilldale University Bookstore (enjoying it so far) and remembered this post:

MissWorld wrote:Caran d'Ache makes some really nice ballpoints that fall in your price range. There are some slim-barreled metal ones that have a nice heft to them and come in a variety of bright colors, which make them easier to keep track of -- also a (still attractive) frosted plastic one that retails for only about $7 or so and writes like a dream. No lie - those Swiss don't fuck around. You can get both types at the University Book Store, where you can also test most pens before you buy. I'm a fan of Lamy pens too, but based on your criteria, I think Caran d'Ache fits the bill.

Not that I think you're intentionally leaving it out, but the slim-barreled metal ones are $25 apiece. Not ridiculous but a step beyond a casual buy. The $7 plastic-bodied ones are nice, too, and both write well -- the click mechanism is also quite dreamy -- but my biggest complaint: blue ink only. No black, neither pre-installed nor in refills. At least, not at the Bookstore.

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:49 pm

Remember_Me wrote:Bought these too.

NEXT!

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:59 pm

Alright folks, since you can't all reach a consensus I'm going to need a sampler pack.

Everyone send your favorites to:

Brian Williams
c/o NBC News
30 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, NY 10112

Please enclose a SASE if you would like your pens returned.

(But I wouldn't recommend it.)

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:10 am

the pilot g2 has been a favourite of mine for a long time for ergonomics and cost-effectiveness and they have a very good ink. it is also good that they are available in five tip sizes (0·25, 0·38, 0·5, 0·7,╦1·0 mm) and 16 different colours; this makes for all sorts of packs available from single pens to a 40 pack i saw which contained multiple nib sizes in 12 to 16 colours. my personal favourite is the 0·38 mm black-blue-green-red-purple five pack. they can also be refilled.

the zebra f-301 is a very good and well-priced stainless steel ball-point pen which comes in black, blue, green, red, and two sizes of mechanical pencils.

the papermate flair felt-tip pen is good an inexpensive and also has a wide range of tip sizes, i believe four of them from ultra-fine to bold, and 12 colours, maybe more.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:23 pm

Pentel Energel

Smooth fine point that doesn't smear. Comes in blue and black, yet I've never been a blue ink kinda guy.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:57 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Pentel Energel

Smooth fine point that doesn't smear. Comes in blue and black, yet I've never been a blue ink kinda guy.

Energel also comes in red, purple and green.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:02 pm

barney wrote:Energel also comes in red, purple and green.

Aha, I get them from work and they only buy the two colors.

gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:13 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Pentel Energel

i'm writing with one of those right now and it is delightful -- it combines attributes of the pilot g2 and the precise v5 rolling ball.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:41 am

barney wrote:Energel also comes in red, purple and green.

Ooh. I edit in green. Will have to check that out.

(Scratch that. Found it online and recognized it in green. I'm staring at the disappointing specimen in my pen cup right now. Not smooth, fat barrel, and the 0.7mm tip makes a wider, clunkier stroke than the 1.0mm Superglide. Feh.)

Return to “Catch All”