End Concerts on the Square now!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: End Concerts on the Square now!

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:00 pm

The last time I went to the Willy Street Fair I spent half my time yelling at people not to chain their bikes to the terrace trees.

You have to be way weirder than than to get attention at the Willy Street Fair. This isn't working.

Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Westsidegal » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:04 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
Westsidegal wrote:A few humans is not what we are talking about here. Tens of thousands of human feet twice a week can do more damage than heavy trucks.

ten's of thousands? earlier you wrote:

Westsidegal wrote: Having hundreds of thousands trample on their delicate roots systems every week is no laughing matter.

Wow, attendance at these events sure is dropping fast. People are hearing your cry.

Between the Concerts and the Market there is easily over a hundred thousand people in the Capital Square Park each week.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:09 pm

Westsidegal wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:
Westsidegal wrote:A few humans is not what we are talking about here. Tens of thousands of human feet twice a week can do more damage than heavy trucks.

ten's of thousands? earlier you wrote:

Westsidegal wrote: Having hundreds of thousands trample on their delicate roots systems every week is no laughing matter.

Wow, attendance at these events sure is dropping fast. People are hearing your cry.

Between the Concerts and the Market there is easily over a hundred thousand people in the Capital Square Park each week.

I've told you a billion times not to exaggerate.

Moving out of the winter season, attendance is expected to increase. While Johnson said attendance in the winter still reaches into the hundreds, a good summer day can see an outdoor crowd of 20,000.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:10 pm

Changes like this don't happen overnight. It takes time and energy from the dedicated selfless unthanked masses. You show spirit and strength of will in your endeavors.

Why don't you link to the Friends of the Square/stoptheconcerts.html page so the rest of us can read up on your research and pool our resources?

Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Westsidegal » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:14 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Westsidegal wrote:I am not anti-Soglin and I don't know what that has to do with this anyways.

I guess when you don't have a counter argument you have to resort to ad hominem attacks.

Your use of "Soggy" as an epithet led me to assume you weren't a fan. Clearly, I assumed incorrectly. Soglin's anti-Booms position is well-known and your initial argument sounded like a caricaturization of the anti-Booms position put toward things that the well-to-do love (as opposed to the hoi polloi that love Rhythm and Booms).

I used "Soggy" like "Mayor Dave." Sorry it offended you.

I very much support Mayor Soglin's anti-Rhythm and Boom position. I have hope that he will see that the Concerts and Farmers Market has just grown too big and is doing lasting damage to the City's (and State's) most important park.

GO SOGGY!

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:14 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Sheppy used to be way better at this.

I think WE used to be way better at this.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:29 pm

rabble wrote:Changes like this don't happen overnight. It takes time and energy from the dedicated selfless unthanked masses. You show spirit and strength of will in your endeavors.

Westsidegal really needs to organize a massive rally on the Square.
100,000 tree-huggers would really send a message.

AndyMatts

Postby AndyMatts » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:39 pm

Westsidegal wrote:I am not anti-Soglin and I don't know what that has to do with this anyways.

I guess when you don't have a counter argument you have to resort to ad hominem attacks.

Also what does this have to do with liberal or conservative? Should not everyone one be concerned about the damage being done to the Capitol Park trees?

Sorry, I apologize for thinking that the idiocy of your arguments was contrived, instead of genuine. It was not actually ad hominem to give you the benefit of the doubt on that.

"Soil compaction" may be well documented, but not as you state. Usually it's the weight of construction equipment that's talked about. Individual people passing over an area in volume, even obsese cheese-eating people, don't magically compact the soil as if they were all stacked on top of each other and passed over a spot at once.

When asked to produce documentation, your only response has been "it's well documented." Well, I did the google search you suggested, and none of the papers I've read makes anything close to the case you are claiming.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:48 pm

Westsidegal wrote:I used "Soggy" like "Mayor Dave." Sorry it offended you.

Who's offended?

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:01 pm

Why shouldn't I chain my bike to one of the terrace trees? Is the weight of my bicycle going to harm the tree?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:04 pm

Galoot wrote:Why shouldn't I chain my bike to one of the terrace trees? Is the weight of my bicycle going to harm the tree?

They did put up signs around the young trees at the Orton Park fest asking people not to tie up to them because it would inhibit growth especially during times of drought.

Don't know why it would hurt an established healthy tree, though.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:00 pm

I have to think that this is going to be a moot point when the trees on the square decide to get off their collective butts and locate the Entwives.

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:11 pm

Trees are people, too.

I hope westsidegal doesn't live in a wood frame house or own any books, because those things were more than likely made from some magnificent old trees.

Tree murderer.

There is no way this silliness isn't an act.

Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Westsidegal » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:22 pm

rabble wrote:
Galoot wrote:Why shouldn't I chain my bike to one of the terrace trees? Is the weight of my bicycle going to harm the tree?

They did put up signs around the young trees at the Orton Park fest asking people not to tie up to them because it would inhibit growth especially during times of drought.

Don't know why it would hurt an established healthy tree, though.

THESE TREES ARE NOT YOUR PERSONAL BIKE RACKS!

Trees get their nutrients passed through the bark. These trees which can live four times as long as you, if not longer, can be killed if the bark gets chip away and damaged from constant use as bike racks.

Stop being lazy vandals and go find a PROPER BIKE RACK!

Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Westsidegal » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:30 pm

mifflander wrote:I hope westsidegal doesn't live in a wood frame house or own any books, because those things were more than likely made from some magnificent old trees.

This is where Scott Walker/Koch Bros. thinking has gotten us.

We can justify clear cutting our forests and now denigrate our city parks because we all use wood in our homes.

I am not buying it. Instead I am fighting it!

Return to “Catch All”