End Concerts on the Square now!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Re: End Concerts on the Square now!

Postby Westsidegal » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:50 am

sadiekat wrote:Parks are for people.

Parks are for trees, other vegetation and animals. People are just guests.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:20 am

Westsidegal wrote:

Actually, people are animals too. People have the same right to be in a particular spot as any other organism.

I accept your earnestness as sincere, so I will refrain from mocking and hope others do as well. If in fact there is evidence, perhaps some expert opinions from arborists that human activity actually does risk the trees on the Square, I'd be more inclined to share your concern.

But you haven't shown me any facts so far.

sadiekat

Postby sadiekat » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:29 am

gargantua wrote:
Westsidegal wrote:

Actually, people are animals too. People have the same right to be in a particular spot as any other organism.

I accept your earnestness as sincere, so I will refrain from mocking and hope others do as well. If in fact there is evidence, perhaps some expert opinions from arborists that human activity actually does risk the trees on the Square, I'd be more inclined to share your concern.

But you haven't shown me any facts so far.

Actually, I'm serious, parks are for people, not animals. The purpose of a park in an urban area is to improve the quality of life for its human residents. Parks become attractive areas for wildlife, who then need to be managed. However, this post is about trees, so I'll stay on topic. The idea of putting trees ahead of residents is ludicrous.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:32 am

Considering Westsidegal has seemed to be anti-Soglin in the past, I was under the impression this was semi-deep cover satire.

AndyMatts

Postby AndyMatts » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:41 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Considering Westsidegal has seemed to be anti-Soglin in the past, I was under the impression this was semi-deep cover satire.

Yeah, I assumed, when I read this (not knowing anything about her other posts) -

Westsidegal wrote:The roots are being harmed due to soil compaction.

... that she was trolling with her version of "what conservatives like to pretend liberals are like" straw-man.

Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Westsidegal » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:42 am

The threat of soil compaction to city parks trees has been well documented. Please google "soil compaction" and "urban trees".

These Capitol Park trees have been there for centuries. We have an obligation to make sure they are not endangered. Having hundreds of thousands trample on their delicate roots systems every week is no laughing matter.

Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Westsidegal » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:47 am

I am not anti-Soglin and I don't know what that has to do with this anyways.

I guess when you don't have a counter argument you have to resort to ad hominem attacks.

Also what does this have to do with liberal or conservative? Should not everyone one be concerned about the damage being done to the Capitol Park trees?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:56 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Considering Westsidegal has seemed to be anti-Soglin in the past, I was under the impression this was semi-deep cover satire.

I am captivated by the literary technique and look forward to watching it run its course.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:29 am

Westsidegal wrote:I am not anti-Soglin and I don't know what that has to do with this anyways.

I guess when you don't have a counter argument you have to resort to ad hominem attacks.

Your use of "Soggy" as an epithet led me to assume you weren't a fan. Clearly, I assumed incorrectly. Soglin's anti-Booms position is well-known and your initial argument sounded like a caricaturization of the anti-Booms position put toward things that the well-to-do love (as opposed to the hoi polloi that love Rhythm and Booms).

But I don't know that I (or anyone) employed any ad hominem attacks. Some of us merely thought you were kidding around. Also, clearly wrong, as you've displayed exactly zero sense of humor about this whole thing.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:50 am

Construction equipment and other motor vehicles can compact the soil to the detriment of trees. Heavy equipment can also break tree roots by the force of its own weight. On a construction project where the trees are to be preserved, they are usually fenced off at least to the drip line to prevent this kind of damage, damage caused by tons of mechanical equipment. Trees are also damaged by being surrounded by pavement, which restricts the movement of air and water to their roots.

I have never read anything to the effect that mature trees are damaged by the relatively slight weight of a few humans (or deer, or cattle) simply resting on the grass underneath their branches.

And how can people argue about "parks are for people" versus "parks are for animals?" Parks are all different. Orton Park is not Yellowstone. Sheesh.

Summertime dumbness is setting in for sure.

I do not attend the Willy Street Fair because I can not bear to see the damage being done to the street trees there.

Now you're playing us, honey.
Last edited by snoqueen on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:14 am

Shitty satire at best. But I'll respond ...

Westsidegal wrote:The threat of soil compaction to city parks trees has been well documented. Please google "soil compaction" and "urban trees".

These Capitol Park trees have been there for centuries. We have an obligation to make sure they are not endangered. Having hundreds of thousands trample on their delicate roots systems every week is no laughing matter.

Most are less than a hundred years old. They are not "centuries" old.

Here's a photo from the 1920s, most of the trees here are quite small compared to what's there now.
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/ful ... sp?id=7052

The Farmers' Market has been going on for 30+ years. Concerts on the Square has been around 30 years (this year). It's fine.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:16 am

Sheppy used to be way better at this.

Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Westsidegal » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:50 am

snoqueen wrote:Construction equipment and other motor vehicles can compact the soil to the detriment of trees. Heavy equipment can also break tree roots by the force of its own weight. On a construction project where the trees are to be preserved, they are usually fenced off at least to the drip line to prevent this kind of damage, damage caused by tons of mechanical equipment. Trees are also damaged by being surrounded by pavement, which restricts the movement of air and water to their roots.

I have never read anything to the effect that mature trees are damaged by the relatively slight weight of a few humans (or deer, or cattle) simply resting on the grass underneath their branches. .

A few humans is not what we are talking about here. Tens of thousands of human feet twice a week can do more damage than heavy trucks.

snoqueen wrote:
Westsidegal wrote:I do not attend the Willy Street Fair because I can not bear to see the damage being done to the street trees there.

Now you're playing us, honey.

The last time I went to the Willy Street Fair I spent half my time yelling at people not to chain their bikes to the terrace trees. People were stampeding over the roots of those trees. There were just too many people.
Last edited by Westsidegal on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:54 am

Westsidegal wrote:A few humans is not what we are talking about here. Tens of thousands of human feet twice a week can do more damage than heavy trucks.

ten's of thousands? earlier you wrote:

Westsidegal wrote: Having hundreds of thousands trample on their delicate roots systems every week is no laughing matter.

Wow, attendance at these events sure is dropping fast. People are hearing your cry.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:58 am

fisticuffs wrote:Sheppy used to be way better at this.

Ding. Ding. Ding.

Return to “Catch All”