I suck at drywall

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

I suck at drywall

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed May 29, 2013 9:29 am

We had a roof problem on our 100 year old house. Turns out the previous owner had a go-to "handyman." We caught most of his disasters during the home inspection but we missed a botched section of flashing that was basically funneling water into our exterior walls once it let loose.

Anyhoo, after cutting through two stories worth of 100 year old lathe and plaster and some newer drywall sections, removing soaked insulation, bleaching and scrubbing the mold that that started to grow, replacing rotten studs, spending a thousand bucks to a good roofer to fix the source of the problem, and two thick fucking coats of Kilz primer throughout the studwalls -- it turns out, I am terrible at drywall. At least in my house I am, I imagine that in a newer house where things are a bit more square and plum this might not be a problem, but MY house is like looking at a new house through one of those fucking wavy funhouse mirrors when you're trying to make cuts to hang the sheetrock.

Anyway, two more coats of joint compound, some texture, and finally some paint and we'll hope to have a living room and our closets back by this weekend.

I had a shitty holiday weekend.

-Dan Motor

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: I suck at drywall

Postby gargantua » Wed May 29, 2013 9:54 am

Well, I guess the good news is that you have nowhere to go but up for the rest of the summer.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed May 29, 2013 10:42 am

At least the temperature wasn't in the 90s the whole time.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed May 29, 2013 12:23 pm

That's a lot of work to do in one weekend. You should be congratulating yourself.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed May 29, 2013 1:51 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:That's a lot of work to do in one weekend. You should be congratulating yourself.

I wasn't all one weekend, but the past 4 days were the main push.

I had to tear out the water soaked drywall, lathe and plaster, and insulation a few weeks ago to repair the leak and get the thing dried out and mold free.

I think I'd be more likely to congratulate the Mrs. and I if we were doing a project to improve the house -- this was just to get it back to normal.

-Dan Motor

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed May 29, 2013 2:05 pm

I get to tear into a hundred year old wall here pretty soon. Some water damage as well! We built a new bathroom in an unfinished room and the old bathroom is going to have to be gutted. There was a clawfoot with a ring around it that was the only shower ever in the house. Drywall does indeed suck though. We hired some people to do the new room but they did a craptastic job so about half of it needed to be redone. I got to do that myself! Somehow I did a better job than the "contractors". Would have preferred to learn on someone else's house.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed May 29, 2013 2:12 pm

Drywall falls into the 'worth paying for' category for me. Its not that expensive to hire and well worth the money.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed May 29, 2013 2:20 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I get to tear into a hundred year old wall here pretty soon. Some water damage as well! We built a new bathroom in an unfinished room and the old bathroom is going to have to be gutted. There was a clawfoot with a ring around it that was the only shower ever in the house. Drywall does indeed suck though. We hired some people to do the new room but they did a craptastic job so about half of it needed to be redone. I got to do that myself! Somehow I did a better job than the "contractors". Would have preferred to learn on someone else's house.

I wish you the best, man. Hopefully it all comes out easy.

I had a couple different drywall/ paint guys come and look at redoing the walls for me when I was coming to my wits end. They both quoted me about 600 bucks for the work. -- while it wasn't bad, I still would have had to do the tear out and get it prepped before they came in, and it didn't include paint. So far the interior repair has cost me about $150 in materials and some tools I needed (buying tools is the only compensation I'm getting out this) I think its going to end up being around $200 total once the paint is on.

-Dan Motor

grumpybear

Postby grumpybear » Wed May 29, 2013 5:48 pm

Thank goodness, it hasn't led you to binge drinking. If it has, please disregard.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu May 30, 2013 8:24 am

grumpybear wrote:Thank goodness, it hasn't led you to binge drinking. If it has, please disregard.

I have other reasons for my addiction to High Life.

-Dan Motor

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:31 pm

When I bought my 1915 house in 2010, I didn't even own a hammer. I knew almost nothing about houses. 300 foot of new plumbing-220 foot of copper input,80 foot of drain and sewer vent (2 story, 2-flat), 1/3rd new wiring, 21 replaced windows, 45 pieces of sheetrock, 40 bags of concrete, installing 250 twelve foot pieces of 7-1/4" siding right now, holy fuck!

Making sure all the surfaces are flush (nail and bump free) before you screw on the rock is critical. Then just do a rough mud and tape and let it set. Concentrate on a smooth second coat using a 12" to 18" trowel-sometimes I don't even have to sand the second coat, or just lightly. Some people suggest using a damp REAL sponge when the mud's partially dry, but I can usually get it in about 3 or 4 coats anyway. Use 80 grit at first. The key is not "over sanding." Then drop down to 120... And instead of texture, you can use a roller with "carpet" on it. I've tried a bunch of the "quick-set" dry plasters that you have to add water too. Yes it sets fast, and you can sponge it sooner, but it still can't be sanded for a couple days anyway. And since it's all powder, meaning you might make too much or too little and waste it, I just stick with the buckets of wet mud.

Sounds like you're already finished with it, but if that helps.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:15 pm

Eh, if you're using 80-grit, it's time to tear out the walls and start over. Really. 120-griit is generally used for the first pass over the rough edges for a commercial job. Finish with 220.

Otherwise, a good option is to add a skim-coat of mud that you texture with a brush or toothed trowel. That will offer a rustic look that can be very nice – or a disaster if it seems too random.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:18 pm

Works absolutely fine for me, and it's way faster. Then a light sand with 120 or 150 and roll the paint. Every room. Maybe it works because it's cheap sandpaper, which isn't as brutal as higher quality stuff. Plus I use a light touch, saves the arms. Manual sanding, nothing motorized...

Funny that you mention "commercial" contracting though. I notice how much sloppy work there is out there now, mostly in bathrooms. They're just too lazy to do it the right way. Bad corners, sloppy tile, a lot of tape sticking through the paint.

drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:36 am

Its a right of passage to attempt to mud your own drywall joints and spend the next decade or so noticing the atrocity everytime you walk into the room, welcome to the club. I appreciate Johnny's advice, but it really takes an artistic touch and not everyone has the gift. I watched every video I could online and used as much patience as I could muster, and every single joint I've ever mudded is a mess. I'd say if there was one job to contract out in your scenario, it would be the mudding.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:02 am

jonnygothispen wrote:I've tried a bunch of the "quick-set" dry plasters that you have to add water too. Yes it sets fast, and you can sponge it sooner, but it still can't be sanded for a couple days anyway.

When I moved into my house I had a lot of loose plaster on the walls. Mind you, this is not drywall, but scratch coat plaster coming up. Not wanted to actually spend 3 years as a journeyman learning actual plastering techniques, I research alternative products and came up with one called Durabond. There many different types, but I used 45, 60 and 90. The lower the number the quicker the dry time, but the softer the surface. I ended up using 90 which had a sandable dry time of about 2 hours and mimicked the resilience of the plaster the closest. It is a dry compound, but I have had some experience mixing actual plaster so I am comfortable with the ratios.

It took a few applications, but I got pretty damn good at large plaster repairs. I think I ended up with tow passes(real plaster work should take one, and if you've ever seen a someone do good plaster work, it's pretty impressive) It sands pretty will with about a 120 grit and nothing more. I even used a disk sander at real low speed and all was well. It was a dusty friggin mess, but in the end, I think I'm the only one who will know where the patches were.

Granted, this isn't drywall, but it's in the family. So if you need a quick drying compound, go with the Durabond.

Return to “Catch All”