UW Credit Union vs. Summit Credit Union

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Jademan7
Forum Addict

UW Credit Union vs. Summit Credit Union

Postby Jademan7 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:39 am

My SO and I are looking to open a joint checking/savings account and narrowed down the search to UW or Summit Credit Unions. We are looking for direct bill pay for our combined bills and rent, saving up for purchasing a home/condo in the next year or two and possibly re-financing car loans. Does anyone have any feedback on which one might better suit us? Any recommendations? Thanks.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: UW Credit Union vs. Summit Credit Union

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:42 am

I only have experience with UW. We moved our checking and savings there when we got sick of M&I. We liked them so much we open a credit card, refi'd our home loan and car loan with them. The website has everything you'd expect and I pay all bills through it. So far they've been great.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:57 am

UW's web interface is the best I've encountered. All my accounts are visible at a glance, and it's extremely easy to transfer money between accounts and even to other UW member accounts (e.g. my GF and I can shuffle money between us as necessary, no fees/penalties).

No opinion on Summit, but I've only heard good things so you probably can't go wrong with either.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:02 am

I'm a 25-year member of UWCU, and perfectly satisfied with their services. I have only a mortgage refi (started a year ago) with Summit, and have had nothing but good experiences in that year.

After getting our initial mortgage and our first refi through UW, we refi'd last year through Summit both for a favorable rate, and because they (unlike UW) offer mortgages they will continue to service, rather than selling it off.

As massimo wrote above, UW's online services are extraordinarily good, and you'd probably do fine with either.

It may come down to which one has more convenient locations for you.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:06 am

They're both great. I would just go with whichever one has a branch that's more convenient for you, although even that doesn't matter much nowadays.

Ms Kurt and I were members of Summit (or SCCU before the name change) for about 12 years and would highly recommend them. When we were looking to buy our first house, we found Summit Credit Union very helpful and friendly. Summit and UWCU had lower mortgage rates than any of the banks in town.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:20 am

I've been with UW Credit Union for about 18 years and I have had no complaints and only praise. I've yet to use it, but they have a new service where you can text a code and get your balance(and other features) without logging in to the interwebs.

I'll also agree that they have a great website that is easy to navigate. I don't really know anything about Summit, but I can't imagine them doing much more that is better than UW Credit Union.

Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby Jademan7 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:21 am

Thanks so much. They both do seem to keep their customers happy. After comparing the two, it was down to which one had the closest location to us. I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing out on some big problem from either one of them that I wouldn't find out about until too late. We really appreciate your input.
Thanks again.

pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby pattymcnutt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:28 pm

I've had an account with UW for about 9 years now and have been very happy with them- as one of the other posters said, their website is definitely the best for user-friendliness.

Last year we purchased a home and our loan is through Summit because they gave us a slightly better rate, and so our joint account is through them as well. And because we moved outside of Madison, UWCU is no longer convenient for us, location-wise. However, I still keep my own account with them.

Overall, I think the customer service is much better with UWCU- we haven't been too pleased with Summit in that regard. It's not HORRIBLE, but definitely not on par with UW.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:19 pm

I have accts at both Summit and UWCU. They both seem good. Summit has more locations so I like that. UWCU has a weird rule about meeting 3 qualifications per month or they charge a fee.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:14 pm

What qualifications are those? I don't know what you're talking about. I've never had any fees charged.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:30 am

They call 'em Qualifying Services. An account or loan is a service, plus you get a point for being with them for ten years, or using direct deposit for your paycheck, or using the website for your statements. There's a few others. If you have three services, like a checking and a savings and an active debit card, you get super extra special stuff like free checking.

I had three services from the getgo so I didn't know there was a minimum for years.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:38 am

I have accounts with both, and I prefer Summit. I find the customer service to be more personal; UWCU reminds me more of a "big bank." However, I find the differences to be small and would be happy with either if I used only one.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:58 am

rabble wrote:If you have three services, like a checking and a savings and an active debit card, you get super extra special stuff like free checking.

I've had all three since the beginning so I never knew.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:08 am

Yeah I don't think of it as a penalty for having less than 3 accounts more a reward for having more. There were some other perks at 5 like free OD protection or something better interest rates on loans? We have 8 qualifying services. I think at 12 they send someone out to do your laundry every week. 15 and you get a hand job once a month. Western grip, naturally.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:36 am

I've been with UWCU for 40 years and probably have a zillion points. Car loans, mortgages, CDs, IRAs, direct deposits, direct payments, sub accounts, etc. I know I get no fee cashier's checks.

Return to “Catch All”