Cultural Insensitivity

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
bdog
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3427
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: Cultural Insensitivity

Postby bdog » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:32 pm

This thread is really bringing people together.

Hey everybody get in here! Group Hug!

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4505
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:31 pm
Location: 53703

Re: Cultural Insensitivity

Postby Ducatista » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:47 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Ducatista wrote:And: catholic service? Poser.

A "mass" fits comfortably under the umbrella "church service." You could look it up :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_(liturgy)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_service
...
A catholic church wedding is a "mass", just as "the stations of the cross" also embeds a mass in there.    I called it a "service" because "mass" doesn't capture the event any better than a "jog" describes a marathon.

I wondered if you'd try to link your way out of that one. You can wikipedia from here to the Holy Land, but any current or lapsed Catholic worth his fish fry batter wouldn't refer to the Good Friday liturgy as a "catholic service," and knows that the Catholic marriage rite doesn't have to involve a mass, and that the stations of the cross devotion doesn't "embed a mass in there," though many (all, in my hometown) Catholic churches schedule the stations and the mass back to back.

What's with this, btw?

Huckleby wrote:Do you refer to your wedding as a mass?
I didn't think so, you probably just call it "the big mistake."

That's more bdog douchey than Huckleby cute.

Oh, hey there, bdog! Hugs!

Meade
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Cultural Insensitivity

Postby Meade » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:14 pm

Yeah, hugs of sensitivity and special big bear hug for Jason. Brewers win! Earth Day will soon be here. Happy early Spring to all!

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1275
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:16 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: Cultural Insensitivity

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:16 pm

Okay folks,

Now that we've all settled down, we need to get back to the most concerning issue of this thread:

Did The Daily Page get stuck with like, the only Jew on the Internet without a sense of humor?!

Seriously I like Stu, he's a good man, but is there somewhere we can lodge a complaint? Are the guys in the hats and the permed out sideburns some sort of authority figures? There has to be some sort of probation they can put him on until we get his blood sugar, or whatever is wrong, straightened out.

(Kidding of course)

-Dan Motor

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1613
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:33 am

Re: Cultural Insensitivity

Postby Average Joe » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:29 pm

I only skimmed through this thread because my religion precludes me from participating in dumbass endeavors, but isn't bitching about a meeting held on a certain day being offensive to ones religion be in the same neighborhood as bitching that watching two guys getting gay married is offensive to another religion? If you want separation of church and state don't be an annoying a-hole.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8698
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Cultural Insensitivity

Postby Huckleby » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:03 pm

Ducatista wrote: wouldn't refer to the Good Friday liturgy as a "catholic service," and knows that the Catholic marriage rite doesn't have to involve a mass, and that the stations of the cross devotion doesn't "embed a mass in there," though many (all, in my hometown) Catholic churches schedule the stations and the mass back to back.


A marriage without a mass? Stations of the cross without communion? What nutjob catholite cult are you hooked into?

DIE HERETIC!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2y_kI_-x1Q

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:40 pm
Location: Studio B of the historic Abernathy Building
Contact:

Re: Cultural Insensitivity

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:28 pm

No, Joe, they're not comparable. The homophobe does not suffer any material harm from a SSM, but the Jew who cannot attend a government meeting because it is on Yom Kippur does. So, no, your analogy does not work.

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Re: Cultural Insensitivity

Postby Mean Scenester » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:28 pm

Stu, could you at least work the word "observant" in there somewhere?

I mean, Jesus Christ ...

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6641
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:57 pm

Re: Cultural Insensitivity

Postby pjbogart » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:42 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:No, Joe, they're not comparable. The homophobe does not suffer any material harm from a SSM, but the Jew who cannot attend a government meeting because it is on Yom Kippur does. So, no, your analogy does not work.


You can't or you choose not to? I guess that being a non-religious sort, I'm not quite sure why a Mormon can't drink coffee, a Jew can't eat shellfish or pork and a Christian can't work on Sunday. These sound more like rituals or rules that you choose to burden yourself with, unless you honestly believe that God is going to strike you down for eating a BLT.

Maybe we're still operating under this bizarre notion that God is basically like that ex-girlfriend of yours who was constantly asking you if her butt was too big. Somehow I really doubt that God gives a rat's ass if you show up to a meeting on Yom Kippur or any other religious holiday for that matter. I mean, he's omniscient and omnipotent. He knows that you felt the need to attend and he knows why you felt the need to attend. We like to claim that he's jealous and angry, but really that's just to keep people in line. Jealousy isn't really consistent with omnipotence, nor is feeling angry, insecure, or feeling the need to torture Job just to see how he'd react.

Perhaps your religion is more cultural than spiritual? Perhaps the reason you don't want to attend a meeting on Yom Kippur isn't because you fear God's wrath, but rather because you don't want other Jews to think that you aren't a very good Jew. Take a cue from the pathetic excuse for Christians that populate our political system. They seem to think that killing 100,000 innocent Iraqis is morally just. Torture, murder, it's all good. And they probably have meetings on Sunday!

I like you, Stuart. You aren't like the rest of the people here in the trailer park. But you're expecting an awful lot from people who really don't care much about your religion. Christians give you a bit of lip service, Muslims want to kill you just for being so Jew-y and agnostics just roll their eyes. I guess if you consider indifference "anti-Semitism" I'm guilty as charged, but I'm an equal opportunity discriminator. I don't respect Christian or Muslim holidays either.

But don't take me as completely anti-religious, because I certainly understand the value of a good, talking snake. There are morons out there who wouldn't be able to distinguish right from wrong if it wasn't for the threat of eternal hellfire, so if religion keeps them in line, I'm all for it. Plus, if all the Jews and Muslims rejected their religion, the price of bacon would skyrocket. And that would be bad.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:40 pm
Location: Studio B of the historic Abernathy Building
Contact:

Re: Cultural Insensitivity

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:53 pm

MeanScene, it was implied, but, sure, I'm referring to observant Jews.

Peej, of course observing the rituals and practices of a religious faith is a matter of choice. Are you saying that makes in invalid and unimportant?

And, no, my not engaging in secular activity on the holidays is not because of what other Jews will think of me. It's because of what I will think of me.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1487
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 1:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Cultural Insensitivity

Postby Galoot » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:42 am

For the government to be completely neutral on religion, they would have to ignore all religious holidays and just proceed with business.

The founders agreed, apparently--they had the post office deliver mail on Sundays, to avoid any appearance of giving preference to the Christian holy day. So Stu, wasn't that unfair to any Post Office workers who believed that they shouldn't be working on Sunday?

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3479
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:40 pm
Location: Studio B of the historic Abernathy Building
Contact:

Re: Cultural Insensitivity

Postby Stu Levitan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:15 am

No more so than the slavery the founders also supported.

Really not sure what your point has to do with whether City should avoid scheduling government meetings on major religious holidays.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3427
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: Cultural Insensitivity

Postby bdog » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:12 am

pjbogart wrote:Perhaps the reason you don't want to attend a meeting on Yom Kippur isn't because you fear God's wrath, but rather because you don't want other Jews to think that you aren't a very good Jew.

I have no doubt that Stu is a very good Jew. And I wouldn't be surprised if he looked down his nose at those who are not so good Jews. It's an ego thing, and his own way of being subtly anti-semitic.

Why is it ok to hate Catholics for their actions but not Jews? Because they have that phrase "anti-semitic". Catholics should get a bullet proof phrase like that.

All religion (and especially rituals) is just training wheels for spirituality. It's meant for little kids. You look like an idiot using them as an adult.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6095
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Cultural Insensitivity

Postby kurt_w » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:17 am

Galoot wrote:So Stu, wasn't that unfair to any Post Office workers who believed that they shouldn't be working on Sunday?


Stu Levitan wrote:No more so than the slavery the founders also supported.


Excellent. A meeting of the minds! Sunday mail delivery is not actually worse than slavery. The spirit of compromise is alive and well on the Forum this morning.

bdog wrote:All religion (and especially rituals) is just training wheels for spirituality. It's meant for little kids. You look like an idiot using them as an adult.


Or ... not. Everyone back to their bunkers, please.
Last edited by kurt_w on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3427
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:26 am

Re: Cultural Insensitivity

Postby bdog » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:21 am

This deserves to be spelled out:

Laughing my ass off.

Thanks Kurt.


Return to “Catch All”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests