2 unrelated questions

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
markkay
Forum Addict

2 unrelated questions

Postby markkay » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:08 am

1. I read a review of Premium Rush (haven't seen it) which says the main character rides a fixed gear bike with no brakes. Why would a bike messenger prefer a fixed gear bike? And no brakes? I don't get it, really I don't, so can someone give me the bird's eye lowdown on why someone would prefer such a bike?

2. There was a story in last week's Cap Times about riding around with Madison's bike cops. (That's the only relation to my question above.) The story mentions someone doing some sort of con/scam on drunken students on State Street. Made it sound like the scammer was a known presence, but that it is difficult to stop him, as the victims are drunk or don't want to press charges. Con/scam appeared to involve some sort of bet, but the article didn't elaborate any further. Anybody know what's going on here? Three card monte? Something else? Just curious.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 2 unrelated questions

Postby Dairylander » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:48 am

markkay wrote: And no brakes? I don't get it, really I don't, so can someone give me the bird's eye lowdown on why someone would prefer such a bike?

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=46325

markkay
Forum Addict

Postby markkay » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:11 am

Thanks, that cleared up the fixed gear/no brakes thing a bit!

Toonces
Forum Addict

Postby Toonces » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:22 pm

Too bad I missed that thread way back when, but I'll state my prediction here:

Knee replacements will skyrocket in 20 years.

That ridonkulous fad is going to cost you...

markkay
Forum Addict

Postby markkay » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:42 am

Found a documentary about fixed gear bikes streaming on Netflix. Pretty interesting. Here's a trailer: http://vimeo.com/22814327

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:46 am

"Betcha ten bucks I can tell you where you got them shoes."

Ummm, okay. You're on.

"Got 'em on your feet. You owe me $10."

If you've ever been to New Orleans for an organized activity (conference, convention, etc.), they've probably included that and a few other popular French Quarter tricks in a list of tips for travelers in the literature (also, never agree to take a cemetery tour). I wonder if somebody's running that gag on State Street.

markkay
Forum Addict

Postby markkay » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:18 pm

I see that a number of tourist websites warn people about the "bet you I know where you got your shoes" scam (and the related "bet you I can spell your last name" -- "y-o-u-r-l-a-s-t-n-a-m-e"), but I see nothing about cemetery tours, except that some are a ripoff. What's the story there, jjoyce? Something more dangerous than an crappy tour that is overpriced? Just curious.

bcs89
Forum Addict

Postby bcs89 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:12 pm

The cemetery is 'bout the most dangerous place in NO.

Beautiful though..

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:16 pm

bcs89 wrote:The cemetery is 'bout the most dangerous place in NO.

Please explain. You know there's not just one, right?

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:19 pm

jjoyce wrote:"Betcha ten bucks I can tell you where you got them shoes."

Ummm, okay. You're on.

Just say the standard disclaimer ruling out wordplay applies and you're golden.

bcs89
Forum Addict

Postby bcs89 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:30 am

ilikebeans wrote:
bcs89 wrote:The cemetery is 'bout the most dangerous place in NO.

Please explain. You know there's not just one, right?

Sorry, that was poorly worded – for the most part all of them can be dangerous depending on the circumstance (time of day, if you are alone, so on), but the one I was thinking of in particular was the oldest of the St. Louise cemeteries (there are a few) – it’s just a block or two from the French Quarter. As with all cemeteries down there, everything is above ground due to the water table being so high, and is very old and very cool. It is also extremely dangerous. There are a lot of unsavory characters hanging out (some actually live there) waiting for a chance to take advantage of anyone they can. If you want to check the cemeteries out, and they are definitely worth seeing, go in the daytime (duh) and with several people – your safest bet is a tour, just not by someone who approaches you on the street. Most anything offered to you on the street is either a scam or risky/dangerous. And they will approach you, and approach you, and…

Anyway, this is my recollection of NO after living there for a bit way back when – so yes, I’m aware there is more then one cemetery.

Return to “Catch All”