Spill here, spill now

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Spill here, spill now

Postby snoqueen » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:21 am

I have a bad feeling as long as it happens somewhere else, people consider these spills something like weather. You can't do much about it so you just try and clean up afterward.

Wrong. These are human-made disasters and there are dozens if not hundreds of places they should be addressed, from the permitting process to engineering to containment and remediation to whether our best course is relying so heavily on this stuff to begin with.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:17 pm

When I said street heat I meant a demand and expectation for serious news coverage, public health attention, legislative action, etc. This being absent you get the "weather" treatment Snow eludes to. The problem is these are very real consequences of ever accelerating structural "reforms" over the last few decades whose expansion in scope is inversely paired with the news cycle coverage. Street heat can take on many forms so decide what form it should take for you. For a long time I have found listening to and reading those who have warned of this impending mess recreational if not educational, now I see that as the good old days. For me it is time to find a way to meaningful civic activism.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:50 pm

Well, I'm all ears. The best we can do so far is one thread on a troll-heavy forum, and an extra twenty seven cents a gallon for gasoline.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:19 pm

rabble wrote:Well, I'm all ears. The best we can do so far is one thread on a troll-heavy forum, and an extra twenty seven cents a gallon for gasoline.

Grrrrh, trolls! I hope they are at least being compensated for their efforts. Whatever, I believe most of us are ultimately trying to get to the same place. My best estimation is that the power players got'er mapped out at least a decade forward so it's going to take some effort to keep an eye on all fronts. I find this especially important as it has taken time for us (collectively) to appreciate the subterfuge employed over the last three to five decades.

p.s. I don't usually like listening to Ben Merens but his guest today had some interesting insights regarding energy and the price we pay at the pump.
http://wpr.org/merens/index.cfm?strDire ... 0%3A00%2E0

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:37 am

Is hell freezing over?

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, a Republican paper, calls for more regulations on pipelines following the expanding damage and insufficient response in the Jackson spill:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/of ... 09116.html

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:31 am

Huh. And now we have a new name in the mix: Buckeye Partners L.P. of Houston who operates the pipeline for West Shore Pipe Line Co. of Arlington Heights, Ill.

Buckeye's slow response was surprising given the 2010 pipeline rupture in Michigan that spilled 819,000 gallons of crude into the Kalamazoo River. The response to that disaster by Enbridge Inc. was characterized as "Keystone Kops" in an official report. One would think that other pipeline companies would have been paying attention and would have reviewed their response protocols, including those having to do with getting information to the public.

It's not surprising at all if Buckeye is behaving like most other companies in this climate: barebones crews paid bottom dollar and short budgeting anything that doesn't directly generate profit.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:18 pm

The feds are allowing the pipeline to reopen tomorrow. I wonder how long it will take for gas prices to moderate.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:37 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The feds are allowing the pipeline to reopen tomorrow. I wonder how long it will take for gas prices to moderate.

Weren't those gas prices Obama's fault. Maybe it was Barrett. I dunno, but it couldn't have been the company's fault.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Cost-raisin', job-killin', godforsaken regulations. Ya know, the ones that are in place to try to prevent shit like this.

Return to “Catch All”