Would you leave the U.S. ?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Would you leave the U.S. ?

Postby jman111 » Fri May 11, 2012 4:29 pm

Meade wrote:Thank god it's 2012. At least the wife and I have babblefish.com/, Francis. Poor Big Bill Harwood and his Russian wife had nothing but hand signals to communicate with!
Is this what a CVA looks like on the interwebs?

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri May 11, 2012 7:37 pm

narcoleptish wrote:In these times of uncertainty and division and really bad television, would you move to a different country if you could?

Late to the party, but I looked into this when Bush was re-elected. I am surprised that this is an issue now versus then. Canada has a points system for immigration that looked promising for my background and vocation. I landed on it being a move to somewhere more cold than here, and put it away. I still dream of moving to Hawaii, but I think they hate foreigners more than anyone.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri May 11, 2012 9:06 pm

Remember_Me wrote:
rabble wrote:Then I found it. If I had given up and just lived in a place I didn't like, I wouldn't have spent the last twenty years here.

Great. So why not fight for it?

Cause after 50 years of doing that, I'm tired and it never fucking works.

Remember_Me wrote:
rabble wrote:I find nothing at all wrong with packing up and moving till you find a place that feels right.

Me neither. And here feels right.

To you. To me it feels the way other places did when they went bad. Some came back. I'll give it another five or six years. But that's it.
Remember_Me wrote:
rabble wrote:There are places that will weather the coming crash MUCH better than this country will.

Like where? If America starts tanking, where would a MUCH better place be that wouldn't be affected that you'd be willing to live?

I know of two. I lived in one for a time and have close friends in both. Both have long histories of weathering hard times, good land, good water, and good people. I know what life is like there and while I would prefer things here got better, I know we'll be better off there than here if the shit hits the fan like you refuse to believe could ever happen.

Ain't sayin where.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Sat May 12, 2012 9:54 am

kurt_w wrote:
Re: Marvell -- it is quite possible to live a full and happy life outside US borders without getting blown up by drone attacks.

There are lots of things to consider when you're trying to decide whether to move overseas. Things like job opportunities, quality of life, language issues, how much you actually like the place you'd be living.

Fear that you'll end up in a Soviet slave labor camp, or that you'll get targeted by a US military drone, are not generally high on the list of considerations.

Oh, for fuck's sake...

My comments were clearly and specifically addressed to Remember_Me's whole thing about fleeing the US in the face of right-wing tyranny.

But thanks for insinuating that I'm some kind of xenophobic yokel. Your disingenuous condescension is duly noted.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat May 12, 2012 12:50 pm

Then there is Panama... Retire on the Pacific for $1,200 per Month

English is widely spoken and they use the U.S. dollar for currency (although the call it the Balboa).

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sat May 12, 2012 1:26 pm

That East High retired teacher we were discussing in an earlier thread? He tells me he and his wife are spending $600 to $800 a month in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. He was thinking of getting some work teaching English there, but he said at those prices, he'll never have to work for the rest of his life. Pretty sweet.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sun May 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Marvell wrote:
Oh, for fuck's sake...

Me too. I was just trying to make fucking conversation and suddenly I'm a sissy boy traitor, unwilling to stand up to and change the millions of people in this country that I'd rather not exist with.

Remember_Me wrote:
Why don't you fuck off with your constant telling me what I should be doing instead of posting here.

Are you talking to me or your mom?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun May 13, 2012 1:50 pm

Galoot wrote:That East High retired teacher we were discussing in an earlier thread? He tells me he and his wife are spending $600 to $800 a month in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. He was thinking of getting some work teaching English there, but he said at those prices, he'll never have to work for the rest of his life. Pretty sweet.

Mr B has led an interesting life. Prior to his couple decades or so at East, he taught internationally. Japan and Saudi Arabia for two, if memory serves. He is Jewish, so he had to come up with fake documentation saying he was a Protestant in order to get a visa for SA. Born and raised in Manhattan, he has traveled/lived throughout the world. I assume you got to know him not only as a teaching colleague, but also as a Hash House Harrier.

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sun May 13, 2012 1:56 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I was just trying to make fucking conversation and suddenly I'm a sissy boy traitor...

I doubt it was suddenly.

Probably took years to perfect.

narcoleptish wrote:Are you talking to me or your mom?

Cute.

And on Mother's Day no less.

Mom must be proud.

Are you packed yet?

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon May 14, 2012 8:41 am

The only consistent feature in all of the threads you muck up, is you.

There, I'm the dick that has to have the last word.

Right?

Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon May 14, 2012 10:49 pm

You all want to leave? What about hope and change?

Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby Comrade » Tue May 15, 2012 12:08 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Galoot wrote:That East High retired teacher we were discussing in an earlier thread? He tells me he and his wife are spending $600 to $800 a month in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. He was thinking of getting some work teaching English there, but he said at those prices, he'll never have to work for the rest of his life. Pretty sweet.

Mr B has led an interesting life. Prior to his couple decades or so at East, he taught internationally. Japan and Saudi Arabia for two, if memory serves. He is Jewish, so he had to come up with fake documentation saying he was a Protestant in order to get a visa for SA. Born and raised in Manhattan, he has traveled/lived throughout the world. I assume you got to know him not only as a teaching colleague, but also as a Hash House Harrier.

How long might the rest of his life be in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia? What kind of life expectancy and healthcare is available there?

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue May 15, 2012 10:04 am

Comrade wrote:How long might the rest of his life be in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia? What kind of life expectancy and healthcare is available there?

Quality not quantity.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue May 15, 2012 10:05 am

Comrade wrote:How long might the rest of his life be in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia? What kind of life expectancy and healthcare is available there?

What I've heard tell from those who have lived there is, if you have the kind of money that a full-time USA minimum wage worker has, you have the same care as here. Even better in some cases.

If you don't, you're screwed. Free market and all that.

Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby Comrade » Tue May 15, 2012 10:10 am

There is no free market in commmunist Vietnam--at least officially according to the government. I would wager however, that there is a thriving black market.

Return to “Catch All”