Supermoon!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Supermoon!

Postby snoqueen » Fri May 04, 2012 9:29 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cap ... tid=pm_pop

Don't miss Saturday night's super-big full moon (really) along with a meteor shower.

Madison's moonrise will be 7:57 pm on Saturday.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Supermoon!

Postby bdog » Sat May 05, 2012 6:24 am

Cool; everyone likes a Supermoon.

Except for the police. Good luck Walter.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat May 05, 2012 11:18 am

I guess Supermoon does have a nice ring to it, but why would anyone want to pass up an excuse for using the term perigee-syzygy?

I definitely hope to spy some meteors later tonight, but full moons aren't generally conducive to good night-sky viewing (and we're in the wrong hemisphere for the best show anyway.) I'm somewhat surprised at how little press this meteor shower is receiving only because it's created by debris from that most-famous of all comets, Halley's. If you do spy a streak (or, if you're really lucky, something more akin to a fireball) it's worth contemplating that even the biggest and brightest of them are the result of tiny particles about the size of a grain of sand.

As for the Supermoon -- definitely try to see it as low to the horizon as possible, preferably with foreground objects to magnify the illusion of size. Once it's high up in the sky, it won't really appear that much bigger than usual -- it's like the difference between a 14" pizza and a 15" pizza.

Oh yeah, and as long as we're waxing astronomical, everyone should get themselves some Eclipse glasses soon. May 20th there's a partial eclipse, but the real show will be June 5th, when Venus passes in front of the sun, an event which will not happen again in your lifetime.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat May 05, 2012 11:51 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I guess Supermoon does have a nice ring to it, but why would anyone want to pass up an excuse for using the term perigee-syzygy?

I definitely hope to spy some meteors later tonight, but full moons aren't generally conducive to good night-sky viewing (and we're in the wrong hemisphere for the best show anyway.) I'm somewhat surprised at how little press this meteor shower is receiving only because it's created by debris from that most-famous of all comets, Halley's. If you do spy a streak (or, if you're really lucky, something more akin to a fireball) it's worth contemplating that even the biggest and brightest of them are the result of tiny particles about the size of a grain of sand.

As for the Supermoon -- definitely try to see it as low to the horizon as possible, preferably with foreground objects to magnify the illusion of size. Once it's high up in the sky, it won't really appear that much bigger than usual -- it's like the difference between a 14" pizza and a 15" pizza.

Oh yeah, and as long as we're waxing astronomical, everyone should get themselves some Eclipse glasses soon. May 20th there's a partial eclipse, but the real show will be June 5th, when Venus passes in front of the sun, an event which will not happen again in your lifetime.

Clouds just cleared enough to have a look where I am this weekend. Noticeably bigger and many features more clearly visable through the binoc's. But I would like to ask professor Horkheimer here to share his knowledge in advance regarding impending astronomical events (thanks for the tip on the eclipse).

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sun May 06, 2012 12:03 am

Wow! The June 5th eclipse date just hit me. Surely a coincidence, but interesting as us talking monkeys have kind of built up a good deal of lives around the orbits of the planets. Very interesting but easy to dismiss as nonsense, still I have to chuckle.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun May 06, 2012 12:55 pm

Anybody get a nice look at the Moon last night? Moonrise was a cloudy bust for me and I ended up in bed shortly after a few too many early beers at the Brown Derby show, so no meteors for me either.

Would love to see some Supermoon pics if anybody managed any.

Howler -- I find your posts more than a little baffling. I can't tell if you're complimenting me or insulting me in the first one, and I have no idea what coincidence you're referring to in the second, let alone what any of the rest of it is supposed to mean.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun May 06, 2012 1:24 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/conversat ... ml?hpid=z2

Link is to a collection of photos from around the globe. The ones I like best have some landscape features for contrast. Here's California:

I didn't see anything but clouds, unfortunately. Bright clouds, though.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sun May 06, 2012 4:34 pm

From the north shore of lake Mendota it hit a clear spot just above the horizon, giving us a good five minute view before ducking behind more clouds. I have to say it did not appear noticeably bigger, at least nothing like that pic from Sno above. An hour later the sky cleared completely for awhile and then it did seem bigger than the usual high-in-the-sky moon.

Went home and fell asleep, completely forgetting to look for meteors later.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon May 07, 2012 12:22 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Anybody get a nice look at the Moon last night? Moonrise was a cloudy bust for me and I ended up in bed shortly after a few too many early beers at the Brown Derby show, so no meteors for me either.

Would love to see some Supermoon pics if anybody managed any.

Howler -- I find your posts more than a little baffling. I can't tell if you're complimenting me or insulting me in the first one, and I have no idea what coincidence you're referring to in the second, let alone what any of the rest of it is supposed to mean.

Definetly a compliment on the first one, I really had no idea there was a meteor shower that coincided. In this case, like you said, the blazing moon would have screwed observing that up even if the clouds hadn't. I don't have time to keep up and just seem to find out about interesting obseravations I could make of the night sky after they have happened, so it would be sweet if you would give forons like me such tips. The Horkheimer bit was meant as a compliment (God rest his soul).

Regarding the second post, it hit me that June 5th is the date of the recall elections.
http://gab.wi.gov/node/2302

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon May 07, 2012 11:50 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I guess Supermoon does have a nice ring to it, but why would anyone want to pass up an excuse for using the term perigee-syzygy?

Because you just got yer ass kicked by Carleton?

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon May 07, 2012 3:10 pm

I howled.

It was great.

Return to “Catch All”