Chantix, anyone?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Chantix, anyone?

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:31 pm

Curious if any other forons have any experience trying to quit smoking with Chantix.

I started taking it a week ago and had a few days of really awful side effects -- ironically, it felt like I was going through withdrawl (I haven't stopped smoking yet, so I know that's not what it was.) That finally passed yesterday, but I've also been mostly sleepless for a week now and what little sleep I get is generally plagued by disturbing dreams, something I'm not usually prone to. Basically, I was hoping to hear from some others what their experiences with Chantix have been in the hopes of getting some sense of how common these kinds of reactions are, if others have experienced sleeplessness and if so, how long it lasted.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Chantix, anyone?

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:42 pm

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:54 pm

Crazy, crazy dreams. Make that insanely crazy and vivid dreams.

No sleeplessness but I did feel kinda high for about a week.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:21 pm

dave esmond wrote:Crazy, crazy dreams. Make that insanely crazy and vivid dreams.

No sleeplessness but I did feel kinda high for about a week.

Same here, bad dreams... many sexual in nature that were not at all enjoyable. Stopped taking the stuff after that.

Along with the dreams came general spaciness and a profound lack of giving a fuck about anything--including relationships, parents, siblings, holidays. Not a good experience for me.

-Dan Motor

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:24 pm

I don't recall having any crazy dreams, and I don't recall any side effects. But the Chantix did finally break the back of my smoking addiction. I've been smoke-free for over five years now after countless attempts that never last longer than six months.

donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:23 pm

I had the crazy dreams, but not sleeplessness. But it really started messing with my perceptions - I found I was much more morose and contrary. Not to the point of getting pissed off, but just always took the downward view in most any discussion.
I stopped taking it a couple weeks after I actually quit. But it did break the cycle which kept me smoke free for 2 years.
Unfortunately, I started again 9 months ago and, while I know now that I can quit again, I have not.
But I'm not willing to go the Chantix route again.

Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:32 pm

Dreams?! People still believe in that silly crap?

Rational people know that dreams aren't real. If you think otherwise, then prove that they exist.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:57 pm

Is anyone surprised that Peanutbutter gets pleasure from mocking the physical distress of others?

seashells

Postby seashells » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:27 am

I was afraid to try it because of the crazy-making side effects I'd read about. Once I got over that fear, I told my then-boyfriend to watch out for any signs of creeping depression, paranoia, or the like. I had NO bad side effects. I had crazy, vivid, but enjoyable dreams. They were entertaining.

Best of all, chantix really does make cigarettes taste and feel terrible. TERRIBLE! By the time I got to the full dosage, even the thought of smoking was enough to make me gag. The downside to that was that I knew the enjoyment of cigs would return if I just stopped the chantix and, the first couple of times I tried to quit with that method, that's exactly what happened. Third time's the charm, and this time I stayed on the chantix for the entire recommended period. I really think that was crucial. I've been off the cigs for almost 2 years now; I'd smoked for over 20 years.

So you are not alone in your experience, and if you are experiencing vivid or bad dreams but not the waking blahs-or-worse, hopefully you can stick with it. You may want to try some of the "dream engineering" stuff, where you plan a dream strategy before bedtime. I don't know - it worked for my kid when he was having nightmares.

Good luck - I miss smoking sometimes, but I am so very happy I'm done with it.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:36 am

seashells wrote:Best of all, chantix really does make cigarettes taste and feel terrible. TERRIBLE! By the time I got to the full dosage, even the thought of smoking was enough to make me gag.

This sounds awesome (well... you know what I mean.)
Unfortunately, both the withdrawlish early symptoms I felt (which honestly, could've been tax anxiety for all I know) and now the trouble sleeping is actually making me want to smoke more! I'm still willing to stick with it for now as I only started the full dosage yesterday, but a Prof's gotta sleep some time.

seashells

Postby seashells » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:44 am

A prof definitely needs sleep. Have you talked with the doc who prescribed the chantix? Maybe he/she will have some ideas.

I'm not generally a fan of sleep aids, and I know that they have their own history of causing funky dreams/disturbances, but I'm a big fan of not smoking. Maybe this is one of those occasions where a temporary reliance on sleep aids is worth trying.

If you're still smoking, my advice is to keep on smoking until you just don't feel like it anymore. That happened for me after a couple of weeks. There was no payoff, and it tasted nasty. After I was done with the chantix course, I still treaded very carefully and avoided my usual smoking situations - no cups of coffee outdoors with a magazine, and definitely no booze for awhile. I wish you all the best in this; it's tough, but worth quitting.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:58 am

I took it 3 times. The crazy dreams didn't bother me. I kind of enjoyed them. It made quitting very easy. It didn't stick though when I stopped obviously but that's my fault not the drug. The last time i took it it did start to change my attitude in a way I didn't like so I stopped taking it early. The first two times through I didn't mind it. I'll have to try quitting unassisted though next time as I won't go back on Chantix again.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:59 am

seashells wrote:Have you talked with the doc who prescribed the chantix?
I don't think this is serious enough to warrant a doctor bill, but I may give the pharmacist a call.

As for sleep aids and what-not, the thing is, I have apnea, and I only last year finally started sleeping with a machine.* So, I've recently been sleeping fantastically, after almost a decade of walking around like a zombie. This sucks, but I'm no stranger to lack of sleep and can deal until I see how (or if) other side effects and the drug's effectiveness at curbing my cravings play out. I was in and out of sleep last night from around 3:00 until 8:30 and had at least 3 distinct (and nutty, but less disturbing than previous) dreams. Two years ago, that would've been a great night.

*What a set up, right?

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:23 pm

Prof - the dream thing may have as much to do with your apnea than the chantix. At least, that was my experience when I went on the CPAP machine; after not having substantial REM sleep in years, when I finally started getting it my subconcious went totally apeshit.

And yes - it surprises no one that Peanutbutter would take the opportunity to spread his usual vituperative gibbering.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:32 pm

I hear ya, Marv -- but I've been on the CPAP for almost a year now and while yes, it definitely increased the number and frequency of my dreams, it wasn't giving me bad dreams, which has been my experience this past week.

But again, this is why I'm asking around and willing to wait on the drug -- who knows what else might be messing with my dreams/sleep cycle? My being tired has also meant I've been much lazier which means I haven't gone shopping so I haven't been eating well (or even much) which means I have less energy which means my mood is sour which means I don't sleep as well and have crazy dreams. Also, taxes. And my girlfriend's been having some really rough times. And I've been watching Fringe. And the planet's warming up, man! I think it's the Chantix, but I can't really no for sure.

And thanks, everybody -- your comments are both helpful and encouraging.

Return to “Catch All”