Salvation Army v. Dace Zeps

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Salvation Army v. Dace Zeps

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Worthington Park N.A. prez Dace Zeps has been charged with felony drug trafficking for allegedly maintaining a pot-growing enterprise in her home. Salvation Army, which runs community center in the neighborhood, and other activities, wants her to step down. Not good, any way you look at it. Details here.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Salvation Army v. Dace Zeps

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:25 am

Nice Headline by the CT. I assume any humor in it was completely unintentional.

Her defense that she's worked to change the marijuana laws seems pretty silly. Pretty sure it wouldn't work in any other area.
Officer, I understand I was speeding, but I've worked for years to increase the speed limit

If there is indeed a big drug problem in there area, the Salvation Army has a legitimate reason to not want to work with a neighborhood leader who appearsto be a part of the problem.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:32 am

"Only obey good laws."
Eddie Ben Elson

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:36 am

Henry, Without bias, opinion or partisanship, please define the characteristics of a bad law.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:48 am

You could ask Elson, but he's dead. Eddie had a great sense of humor.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:02 am

after a short bit of time playing on google over lunch (and giving my co-workers yet another reason to look at me funny), I withdraw my question.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:20 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:after a short bit of time playing on google over lunch (and giving my co-workers yet another reason to look at me funny), I withdraw my question.

What made you change your mind?

Perhaps throwing a non-violent person who poses no threat to her neighbors in prison, costing taxpayers over $20K/year is not a good idea when there are SERIOUS state budget problems?

Perhaps going after marijuana offenders is not the best use of resources when we have more serious problems with heroin, meth, and alcohol (not to mention outright crime) all over the city and surroundings?

Perhaps you educated yourself about the Darbo/Worthington neighborhood and understand marijuana is not the drug causing all the problems over there?

Speeding BTW, is a very poor comparison to growing / possessing marijuana. People die every day due to vehicles traveling at faster than legal speeds. Not too many rational people think we should get rid of speed limits.

People do not die from growing or possessing marijuana. And unlike speeding laws, more and more people every day are questioning the need for marijuana laws in this financially strapped nation and trying to justify how these laws are benefiting anyone. They are not keeping anyone safer and waste a lot of valuable federal, state, and local resourses in the process.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:42 am

or perhaps I googled "Eddie Ben Elson" and realized Henry was maybe using humor in making a point. I assume Henry realized I was using humor with the speeding reference to make a point as well. Working against a law doesn't give you the right to ignore it, or expect others to ignore it when you get caught.

I'm all for legalizing pot use (and taxing the crap out of it just like tobacco and booze), but this isn't about whether she or her husband should face legal charges. It's whether the Salvation Army (a group I don't believe has ever come out in favor of legalizing any drug) has a reason to be uncomfortable working with someone who isn't just using drugs, but is in fact profiting from the production and sales of a currently illegal drug.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:31 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Working against a law doesn't give you the right to ignore it, or expect others to ignore it when you get caught.

Of course not, and I agree with you that was a pretty stupid thing for Dace to say and I also do not think it justifies breaking any law.

Francis Di Domizio wrote:I'm all for legalizing pot use (and taxing the crap out of it just like tobacco and booze), but this isn't about whether she or her husband should face legal charges.

Thanks for giving your opinion, but I feel every non-violent marijuana arrest should be put inder the microscope for what it is - a colossal waste of time and money. Everyone who believes that needs to be reminded how much money we are spending and how many non-violent people the criminal justice system investigates, arrests, charges with felonies, and locks up in cages for years at the taxpayer expense with zero justification or accountablilty.

Francis Di Domizio wrote:It's whether the Salvation Army (a group I don't believe has ever come out in favor of legalizing any drug) has a reason to be uncomfortable working with someone who isn't just using drugs, but is in fact profiting from the production and sales of a currently illegal drug.

Regarding the Salvation Army, I could care less what their views are and certainly would not expect them to come out in favor of legalizing anything. But if they cannot understand the difference between marijuana and heroin, meth, and crack and how these drugs are impacting their own neighborhood they are being dishonest. I used to live near Darbo housing project and found myself walking thru there pretty late at night (early AM?) many years ago. Believe me when I tell you the people out at that time were not jonesing for or trying to sell marijuana.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:04 pm

eriedasch wrote:Regarding the Salvation Army, I could care less what their views are and certainly would not expect them to come out in favor of legalizing anything. But if they cannot understand the difference between marijuana and heroin, meth, and crack and how these drugs are impacting their own neighborhood they are being dishonest. I used to live near Darbo housing project and found myself walking thru there pretty late at night (early AM?) many years ago. Believe me when I tell you the people out at that time were not jonesing for or trying to sell marijuana.

I don't think it's really an issue of the Salvation Army not understanding the difference. It's an issue of not wanting to explain to a Heroin, meth or Crack addict why it's OK for the Neighborhood Association President to get busted for growing and selling pot, but they should quit using. I'd also venture a guess that some of the donors SA deals with might take issue with the fact that they were working with someone who has been charged with drug dealing. Over all I'm guessing it's more an image thing for the SA, but it's one that Dace Zeps dumped on them, so I can easily see why they would want to remove ties to her.

Carol_Weidel

Postby Carol_Weidel » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:26 am

This thread started as "Salvation Army v. Dace Zeps". Another spin is "US v. Dace Zeps".

Zeps is a community leader, neighborhood volunteer, grandmother, UW student, and tireless worker who gives much to the community. I am sure the quote attributed to her is accurate, and I am also sure that she said a lot more than that.

The wars on drugs is a failure, just ask the Mexicans dying on the other side of our southern border. Our government will spend time and money prosecuting her, and if she is found guilty, she can be barred from voting and her family-supporting wages will be lost.

All that imprisoning millions of people for nonviolent drug offenses has done is bankrupt us financially and morally, ...

http://www.drugpolicy.org/issues/fighting-drug-war-injustice

The Salvation Army is a distraction.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:05 am

I think Carol's right in principle. But what does the Salvation Army do right now, here in Madison?

If they were courageous and progressive they'd trust neighborhood residents to discern the difference between marijuana and harder drugs (a difference of which they're probably well aware) and open a discussion about how to work with Zeps and her situation. Has her family's growing operation endangered the community (it could), or is it relatively innocuous? What do we do when a law that's just plain stupid applies? Go to trial and give Ms Zeps a big show of support, hoping for the best outcome? Or push her out on the principle breaking one law nullifies whatever good she might be doing? This is an opportunity to come together and build the neighborhood through discussion and confrontation, not a cut-and-dried, up-or-down situation.

The SA however is pretty conservative (look at their record on gays) and for that reason, they're in a conundrum of their own making. Ideally, it would be a learning experience for SA but they're not on that particular page at this time.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:26 am

Think of the potential loss of donations if they didn't act on this. How many would spin this as the SA employing "druggies" and supporting "drug dealers"? Society is not on board yet, so they can't risk it.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:12 am

jman111 wrote:Think of the potential loss of donations if they didn't act on this. How many would spin this as the SA employing "druggies" and supporting "drug dealers"? Society is not on board yet, so they can't risk it.

She's not their employee, for one thing. For another, I don't think it would be a big deal at all in this town. They could have simply stayed out of it, but apparently their belief system doesn't allow for that. Makes me less inclined to want to donate to them. Pretty ironic, huh?

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:21 am

gargantua wrote:She's not their employee, for one thing.

jman111 wrote:How many would spin this as...

Return to “Catch All”