Any rec's for an Insurance Agent?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Any rec's for an Insurance Agent?

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:15 am

We currently have AmFam but they upped our price on our home and one of our auto's. I don't see any reason for it and they wouldn't/couldn't give us an answer. Any good human beings in Madison I could contact to get a new quote? 2 cars and the house, package deal.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Any rec's for an Insurance Agent?

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:28 am

Badger Insurance out on University. Don't know why I initially went with them, but they hooked me up with Erie Insuance out of Michigan. Haven't really had to use them, but everything so far has been worked out.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:49 am

All kidding aside, we've had good luck with State Farm.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:24 pm

Amica

http://www.amica.com/

"Highest in Customer Satisfaction Among National Auto Insurers, 12 Years in a Row."

"Highest in Customer Satisfaction Among National Homeowners Insurers, 10 Years in a Row."

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:26 pm

Wife just ended up doing a Progressive quote online and it looks to be about half price, for our auto's. Home Ins. is paid for the year although I still wouldn't mind switching. Worth it to try to package it all together? I'm happy enough with what we'll save in auto.

Twigz2011

Postby Twigz2011 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:35 pm

If you qualify for membership at USAA, I would check them out. Service level and convenience is high and feel rates are very reasonable compared to others. They don't have agents though. Are you concerned about service, having an agent or simply lowest price, minimum required coverage, etc.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:38 pm

Are you concerned about service, having an agent or simply lowest price, minimum required coverage, etc.

A little of both. I can't complain with how AmFam handled the one claim I had to file when a 16-year crushed my parked car but I don't think I should have to pay double to get good service. I don't want a fly by night half assed insurance policy but I don't need a Cadillac plan for my Subaru. Home owners I've yet to use so I can't comment on my needs outside of the requirement of the mortgage.

Twigz2011

Postby Twigz2011 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:50 pm

Well, again, for price and value, for those that qualify for membership (currently insure military either self or immediate family member) USAA is tough to beat. For those companies with captive agents, I've always been partial to State Farm and American Family and switched if price was higher than competition, usually by a difference of over $100 per year for my total insurance. Obviously different agencies provide different levels of service. Keeping all the insurance with one company will usually entitle one to discounts.

I was insured with Geico at one time which was considerably less expensive than the competition when I switched. I thought their online services were very user friendly and when I had a claim for hail damage, handled it quickly and simply.

They don't offer homeowners though, but I believe both Erie and Amica do. I've heard good and bad about their customer service--- You always hear the bad more than the good and the surveys do put them at the top. If you never have a loss, you'll never have to worry about it.

Given where we live, biggest concern for me is how hail claims are handled. I compare policies based on similar wind and hail deductibles and try to get a feel for how those losses are treated. Odds are, if you ever have a homeowners (or auto claim for that matter) it will be due to wind or hail.

Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Athena » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:38 am

I've got Geico and I've had it for years. They've always been very good at paying for everything and my rates have only gone down, not up, even after claims were paid out. At one point my husband was hit by a driver with a rather dubious insurance company and we opted to have Geico pay for everything and let them deal with trying to get the money out of the other company. It all worked out well and we didn't have to do much work to get everything paid.

I have State Farm for homeowner's insurance and they were very good about paying for the hail damage a few years ago even though I made the claim several months later. They went with the date of the second hail storm to be sure everything was covered. I have looked into switching the car insurance to them but it was much more expensive than Geico.

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon May 07, 2012 3:26 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Wife just ended up doing a Progressive quote online and it looks to be about half price, for our auto's. Home Ins. is paid for the year although I still wouldn't mind switching. Worth it to try to package it all together? I'm happy enough with what we'll save in auto.

Did you do the Snapshot thing with Progressive?

I just received the little devices to hook up to our cars today.

I thought they'd be clunky, obtrusive things... but they're not much bigger than a box of Tic Tacs... kinda like a beefy thumb drive. You just plug them in to your car's computer diagnostic thingy and it monitors your braking, acceleration, and time of driving. It then emails you reports on your driving and lets you know if you should be doing something different.

By using these tiny things and correcting any unsafe driving habits, Progressive will lower our premiums by 30%. So we'll be safer, use less fuel, prolong tire life, reduce vehicle wear/tear, AND save cash on our policy.

Seems like a win-win.

Anyone else using these little gizmos?

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Mon May 07, 2012 3:37 pm

None for me, those "gizmos" make me really nervous. I am not comfortable with any company having that kind of information, no matter what they will save me.

I don't like the black boxes in cars either, I don't trust that the information won't be used against me in the future. Same with On Star. At the risk of sounding all 'teabagger-y', it's a little too nanny state for me. Or more like too nanny cam state, I guess.

And yes, I will be coating my car in tin foil on my way to my next Ron Paul rally.....

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon May 07, 2012 3:42 pm

I don't like the black boxes in cars either, I don't trust that the information won't be used against me in the future. Same with On Star. At the risk of sounding all 'teabagger-y', it's a little too nanny state for me. Or more like too nanny cam state, I guess.

But it's a private sector for-profit business tracking your every move and changing your rates based on their perceived views of your driving skills. I'd think TeaPublicans could get behind that right?

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon May 07, 2012 3:47 pm

barney wrote:None for me, those "gizmos" make me really nervous. I am not comfortable with any company having that kind of information, no matter what they will save me.

And yes, I will be coating my car in tin foil on my way to my next Ron Paul rally.....

I figure they already have me pretty much nailed since I'm tethered to my cell 24/7. Might as well save a few bucks while I'm at it.

My cell is pretty much just that, a cell.

Here's what our gizmos look like:

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon May 07, 2012 3:50 pm

Packaging looks like it should prevent unwanted pregnancy or at least cure a yeast infection.

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon May 07, 2012 3:53 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

Packaging looks like it should prevent unwanted pregnancy or at least cure a yeast infection.

I think they were going for a Pandora/Origami theme.

Return to “Catch All”