Spring has sprung

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Spring has sprung

Postby kurt_w » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:02 am

doppel wrote:How do people live without four seasons?

Good question. I tried it once, and was miserable.

Actually, here we have six seasons, not four. Right now, we are in the second, a short season between winter and spring that people who live outside the city call "mud season". One day it's 10 degrees out, another it's 60. One day there's warm blue sky, and the next it's fat snowflakes, sleet, and icy rain pouring down. In the woods, the maple sap is running and the skunk cabbages are probably starting to emerge from the mud, but no one goes there at this time of year. Soon enough the last snow and ice will be gone, the temperature will settle down into something reasonably steady and warm, and real spring will be here.

The other extra season comes at the opposite end of the year. There are two completely different versions of "fall" here. The first "fall" has foggy mornings turning clear and blue, and on weekends everyone heads up into the mountains or countryside to admire the colorful foliage. The other fall starts when the leaves come down and the world is turning dark, waiting for winter to come. It's the November that Thomas Hood was writing about.

I like every season. Right now I am enjoying the mud and the melting, but I am looking forward to spring.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:08 am

kurt_w wrote:Right now, we are in the second, a short season between winter and spring that people who live outside the city call "mud season".

In certain parts of this particular climate, at least for where I've lived in Wisconsin and New England, it's referred to as "Sap Season" although since it's a little longer than Mud Season, people will refer to both.

Of course by the time things start budding out, both are usually over.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:11 am

Because of the low snow/rainfall this winter, Madison and environs might skip our annual mud season.

GOD

Postby GOD » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:16 am

kurt_w wrote:
Actually, I'd like to politely suggest that GOD should confine Himself to His own thread. What is mildly amusing in one thread will quickly get stale if it proliferates all over the forum.

Just a suggestion.

Stebben84 wrote:Agreed. Amusing at times, then annoying.

I AM IN EVERY THREAD, EVERY FLOWER AND EVERY TEARDROP.

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:08 pm

"It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade."
Author: Charles Dickens

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:28 pm

μία γὰρ χελιδὼν ἔαρ οὐ ποιεῖ, οὐδὲ μία ἡμέρα· οὕτω δὲ οὐδὲ μακάριον καὶ εὐδαίμονα μία ἡμέρα οὐδ᾽ ὀλίγος χρόνος
--Aristotle

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:31 pm

Watch out for deer ticks, took eight of them off of the dog today. Redwings have arrived, one of my favorite signs of non-urban renewal. Hey Kurt_w, you can talk plainer than that.
What you sayin, Willis?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:39 pm

"The sighting of a single robin does not warrant the flinging of one's winter garment of repentance." (Or some such. It's greek to me.)

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Spring has schwing!

Postby Marvell » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:05 am

Crazy bird action on the east side. Olbrich Gardens yesterday was a cacophony of tweets and trills as the red wing blackbirds, robins, cardinals and cowbirds were all feeling their oats.

Later in the day, walking down Dunning, I came around the corner of a house just in time to see two male cardinals having a dogfight amid the branches of a basswood tree.

It's bird sexytime! Does Santorum know about this?

Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby Maeve » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:33 am

Happy Saint Patrick's Day, angry birds!

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:49 am

Neighbors flowers are in bloom this morning.

Not really a sign of spring but I saw a bald eagle soaring above Monona Dr by the water towers a couple of days ago.

However, my snow shovels still stand at the ready, just inside the garage door and the ice scraper is still in the truck. Snowblower has not been summerized (opposite of winterized?) Anyone out there who has stowed these items away into their warm weather storage areas will be held accountable for the next few weeks. We'll know who you are.

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:51 pm

Thanks fennel, for the translation of kurt_w's post. On another note, chorus frogs started singing last night. Trees are starting to bud so heavily that hills viewed from a distance are looking like a pastel version of fall--lots of color. And a sure sign of spring, pig manure permeating the air north of Emerald City. It's being spread all over the Great Arlington Prairie.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:30 am

doppel wrote:Thanks fennel, for the translation of kurt_w's post.

It's generally translated as "one swallow does not make a spring". It came up over here not long ago:

Re: Unanswered questions posed to nobody in particular

I see the weather forecast for Madison today is:
Mostly Sunny, Hi 82 °F. Impressive! That's warmer than the forecast for Miami, Houston, or Phoenix. We had some beautiful beds of early spring bulbs in front of our house in Madison. I hope whomever lives there now is appreciating them.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:22 pm

I'm finding the heat wave depressing. It's 8pm and 76 outside. I had to turn on my AC for the first time. It shouldn't be this warm here in mid March. We didn't get any big snow storms this winter. I shudder to think how hot Summer will be. Global warming is scary and depressing.

Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:26 pm

My apple and cherry trees look set to bloom any day now. And I'm not so optimistic to think that we have passed any chance for frost, which would be bad news for said buds.

Return to “Catch All”