Spring has sprung

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Spring has sprung

Postby doppel » Mon May 13, 2013 5:13 pm

The Blue Jays have been here all winter, as per usual. Ruby Throated Humming birds are back, but not in big numbers yet. We need another batch of strong southern winds. Saw an actual Redheaded Woodpecker a week ago. First one in years for me. Harvested one midget morel today-it's coming. Also, spotted my first Indigo Bunting of this year at the feeders today. As late as it is this year, spring isn't going to sprung, it's going to explode.

And Henry, leave that Humming Bird feeder out. Our flock of Orioles love that stuff. Lots of red food coloring helps. And make sure the oranges are placed so they can stand or perch when eating. Orioles are beautiful, a brighter orange than the oranges they eat.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 14, 2013 4:08 pm

doppel wrote: And Henry, leave that Humming Bird feeder out. Our flock of Orioles love that stuff. Lots of red food coloring helps. And make sure the oranges are placed so they can stand or perch when eating. Orioles are beautiful, a brighter orange than the oranges they eat.

Thanks for the advice. I hope my Ruby Throat visitors will arrive soon, especially since the cold spell broke. But with the rain in the forecast, we might get more than morels. Isn't the mosquito our state bird?

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Tue May 14, 2013 9:35 pm

Be careful people. It's a jungle out there. After taking one of my St. Bernards for her daily walk today, the tick total for 2013 now stands at 116. The highest one day record was 48, set last week. Almost all have been on the dog.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed May 15, 2013 8:21 am

Where are you walking him?

We stay on the sidewalk for dog walks and fortunately, so far, the tick score here is zero. (knock on wood) Of course that could change at any moment, and I check constantly, because it's definitely tick season. Are you finding wood ticks or deer ticks?

It helps that my dog is about a tenth the size of yours and much less hairy.

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Wed May 15, 2013 11:17 am

Walking the little lady in a rural area, with a lot of native Big Bluestem Grass. It's an area that gets controlled burns almost every year. Just south of the Baraboo Hills. It's almost all wood ticks, just a couple of deer ticks. I think the deer ticks are more likely to be found in heavily wooded areas. It's not the end of the world when you get a wood tick, but they are pretty gross if you miss one. It blows up, real good. About the size your little fingernail, just filled with eggs. When you squish them, the eggs are visible to the naked eye. Hundreds of them. By then, they just fall off, often in the house. After all, that is where the dog spends most of its time.

Sno, with where you walk, you probably have little or nothing to worry about regarding ticks. There are already enough Republicans and deniers and whatnot to keep you up at night as it is. Sorry for the uncalled for, unrelated attack. I'm just feeling a little extra dickish this beautiful morning. Love ya, mam(man?).

Return to “Catch All”