Global Warming

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
Comrade
Forum Addict

Global Warming

Postby Comrade » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:09 pm

On a lighter note, I'm really liking how this winter has unfolded and am unable to see a downside here to global warming. If that is true and what is occuring, then I say bring it on! This is so much easier than the winter of 2007-08 when we got over 100" of snow, and I was plowing every 48-72 hours for four straight months due to either falling or drifting snow.....now before everyone gets all beligerant, please note that is on a lighter note (meaning light hearted)

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Global Warming

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:52 pm

Global warming WILL benefit some areas of the planet. There will be areas with longer growing seasons, land that becomes arable, and climates that become more tolerable to humans. The Northwest Passage will open up, allowing shorter shipping routes and access to previously inaccessible mineral and oil deposits.

However the negatives outweigh the positives: desertification, flooding and massive population movements resulting from these. And the last of those would likely affect areas receiving the benefits, negating them. Also add in disruption to migratory and hibernating animals, extinction of others, threats to sensitive plant life, release of methane clathrates ...

And from a scientific standpoint, this winter is only an indicator of global warming in as much as it is one data point in the list of the last several decades. That is, one warm winter does not indicate global warming. You have to look at the broader context of how it relates to a longer time period. I say this because if we have a super-cold winter next year, dumb-dumbs will be saying "WELP, SO MUCH FER GLOBAL WARMIN', EH?"

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:46 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Global warming WILL benefit some areas of the planet. There will be areas with longer growing seasons, land that becomes arable, and climates that become more tolerable to humans. The Northwest Passage will open up, allowing shorter shipping routes and access to previously inaccessible mineral and oil deposits.

Even the 'positive' aspects are a mixed bag. Sure, there may be more arable land up North. That's not going to be much consolation to farmers in Texas.
"Too bad your family farm dried up - you can sell it at a loss and move up to Canada!"

Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:06 pm

DCB wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:Global warming WILL benefit some areas of the planet. There will be areas with longer growing seasons, land that becomes arable, and climates that become more tolerable to humans. The Northwest Passage will open up, allowing shorter shipping routes and access to previously inaccessible mineral and oil deposits.

Even the 'positive' aspects are a mixed bag. Sure, there may be more arable land up North. That's not going to be much consolation to farmers in Texas.
"Too bad your family farm dried up - you can sell it at a loss and move up to Canada!"

For further reading, may I recommend to you the second paragraph of my previous post where I mention desertification and other negatives?

makmadison
Forum Addict

Postby makmadison » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:27 am

The only truth is earth's climate is constantly changing. Call it "global warming", but you have blinders on. You and I are on planet earth for a small time, we do not know what the previous climate was nor do we know the future.

Get used to change.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:32 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:For further reading, may I recommend to you the second paragraph of my previous post where I mention desertification and other negatives?

I did. Maybe it wasn't clear, but I was agreeing with you.

Some pollyannas try to argue that the pluses and minuses will balance out. My point is that even the 'pluses' aren't really all that plus.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:53 pm

DCB wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:For further reading, may I recommend to you the second paragraph of my previous post where I mention desertification and other negatives?

I did. Maybe it wasn't clear, but I was agreeing with you.

Some pollyannas try to argue that the pluses and minuses will balance out. My point is that even the 'pluses' aren't really all that plus.

Okay, I guess we can be friends again.

Taken altogether, global warming is a net negative, but not a pure negative. The silver linings will not be enough to overcome the rest.

You can also look at the whole thing very coolly (pun intended) that this seachange (another pun intended) will bring long-term stability by reducing the human population and its needs. But even then, you hope that the survivors will not be surviving as hunter-gatherers, but rather post-industrialists.

Fingers-crossed ... see you on the other side!

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:21 pm

makmadison wrote:The only truth is earth's climate is constantly changing. Call it "global warming", but you have blinders on. You and I are on planet earth for a small time, we do not know what the previous climate was nor do we know the future.

Did you really just claim that we have no idea what earth's past climate was like? That's a whole lot of science you're willing to disregard!

someone else
Forum Addict

Postby someone else » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:28 pm

Coldest January on record for Alaska

I bet the good people of Alaska aren't believing in Global Warming right now.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:39 pm

Just the dumb ones.

Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:20 pm

massimo wrote:
makmadison wrote:The only truth is earth's climate is constantly changing. Call it "global warming", but you have blinders on. You and I are on planet earth for a small time, we do not know what the previous climate was nor do we know the future.

Did you really just claim that we have no idea what earth's past climate was like? That's a whole lot of science you're willing to disregard!

I just ignored that post before because it hurts my brain to refute a statement that contradicts itself.

1."earth's climate is constantly changing"
2. "we do not know what the previous climate was"

How can you make the first assertion while claiming the second?

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:52 am

someone else wrote:Coldest January on record for Alaska

Probably not, but it's important to remember that we've entered an orbit every 100,000 years for the last 1 million years that causes global cooling, and we're on schedule to be in that cycle right now. Despite that, we're still warming in general. But that explains the confusion over warming/cooling contradictions. Unfortunately, the cooling cycle gives ammo to the CO2 deniers to deny the science behind it...

http://www.world-science.net/othernews/ ... arming.htm

Ice ages, or gla­cial per­i­ods, have oc­curred at reg­u­lar 100,000-year in­ter­vals dur­ing the last milli­on years. Each per­i­od has been paced by reg­u­lar and pre­dict­a­ble changes in the or­bit of the Earth known as Mi­lankovitch cy­cles, a mech­an­ism thought to kick start gla­cial cy­cles, Kutzbach and col­leagues ex­plained.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:48 am

http://news.yahoo.com/18-mile-crack-see ... -news.html

Antarctica is so vast that the pictures give you no sense of scale. The pencil-thin line across the satellite image of Pine Island Glacier (above) is actually more than 18 miles long, 800 feet across in places, and 180 feet deep.

And it's growing. In the next few months, scientists expect the glacier to create an iceberg about 350 square miles in area. It will probably float northward, melting as it goes.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:17 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:
someone else wrote:Coldest January on record for Alaska

Probably not, but it's important to remember that we've entered an orbit every 100,000 years for the last 1 million years that causes global cooling, and we're on schedule to be in that cycle right now. Despite that, we're still warming in general. But that explains the confusion over warming/cooling contradictions. Unfortunately, the cooling cycle gives ammo to the CO2 deniers to deny the science behind it...

http://www.world-science.net/othernews/ ... arming.htm

Ice ages, or gla­cial per­i­ods, have oc­curred at reg­u­lar 100,000-year in­ter­vals dur­ing the last milli­on years. Each per­i­od has been paced by reg­u­lar and pre­dict­a­ble changes in the or­bit of the Earth known as Mi­lankovitch cy­cles, a mech­an­ism thought to kick start gla­cial cy­cles, Kutzbach and col­leagues ex­plained.

I don't know about you, but I would not care to live in an ice age. I have to think if humanity believed an ice age was imminent, we would go to great lengths to stop it or mitigate its effects. It seems to me that's what we're doing, only not intentionally.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:18 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:1."earth's climate is constantly changing"
2. "we do not know what the previous climate was"

How can you make the first assertion while claiming the second?

Another contradiction in the denialist movement:

1. the scientists don't know anything; or worse, they are all conspiring to fake the data
2. this one scientist has solid proof that the earth is cooling

Return to “Catch All”