How to learn to speak Spanish?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

How to learn to speak Spanish?

Postby bdog » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:36 pm

This is in response to another thread where Sno said she wants to learn Spanish.

I would also like to learn to speak Spanish.

What is the best way of doing that? Does anyone have experience with local classes or this thing called Rosetta Stone?

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Re: How to learn to speak Spanish?

Postby Galoot » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:11 pm

No experience with either, unfortunately. But with only a year of HS spanish (I think I got a C) I managed to get by fairly well in Costa Rica a few years ago. I've tried to pick up more and more Spanish in various jobs etc, and before my trip I spent some time with some Spanish language tapes. You can get various Spanish series at the Madison Public LIbrary--the Penton series is what I got, and I'm fairly happy with it, even though they often go too fast to easily understand.

I learned a bit of Mandarin using the Pimsleur series from the library, and it's a great language teaching format. I tried the Pimsleur Spanish series, but the Level One stuff was way below what I already knew, and I never found the right level for me, and gave up.

Of course, the best way by far is to go to a Spanish speaking country and live there for a while. I haven't done that yet, but it might happen next year...

mudgette

Postby mudgette » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:29 am

You don't have to move to a Spanish-speaking country to learn Spanish...just live in a border state. I hear Spanish being spoken here almost as often as I hear English. You pretty much have to be able to speak rudimentary Spanish to communicate with landscapers, housekeepers, etc. Every housekeeper I've ever contracted to clean my house has been Spanish-speaking, and sometimes they speak only Spanish. You pick it up REALLY fast when you have to.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:39 pm

Thanks Galoot, I'll check out the library.

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:34 pm

In fact, that is one of my goals for 2012--to learn Spanish. From what I've seen Rosetta stone is pretty good and FREE at Madison Public Library. There are an increasing number of native Spanish speakers where I work and it just seems like a darn good thing. Good for the brain cells to learn new stuff too. I had a year of Spanish back in the high school days, but...

Another source is watching the Spanish channels on cable. They talk extremely fast, but it's a way to get familiar with the language. The language is very similar to English so you'd be surprised how much you'd understand. Best o' luck to ya!

and me too!!

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:19 pm

Yes - good for the brain cells too.

There is a Spanish language channel between 1310 (Mitch Henck) and 1550 (oldies). Sometimes I stop on it and listen to the music. It would be nice to understand what they are saying.

Good luck to you too Lily. Let's check back in here from time to time.

DavidFreedomFighter

Postby DavidFreedomFighter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:50 am

Here is a website that has free Spanish lessons. I haven't tried them yet but saved the site, because I do want to learn. The site is http://www.openculture.com/free_spanish_lessons

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:28 pm

bdog wrote:Yes - good for the brain cells too.

There is a Spanish language channel between 1310 (Mitch Henck) and 1550 (oldies). Sometimes I stop on it and listen to the music. It would be nice to understand what they are saying.

Good luck to you too Lily. Let's check back in here from time to time.

WORT has a Spanish-language news show on Tuesday(?) nights.

Spoken word is much different from written word. If your goal is conversational Spanish, you'll want to find a group of Spanish speakers to hang out with.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:39 pm

Found this:

Interactive Spanish Class
Literacy Network is offering interactive and engaging Spanish classes designed for conversation. Learn Spanish in a fun and informal setting! We practice the immersion method and Total Physical Response to mimic the way you learned your first language – through listening and observing, then practicing your own words and phrases.

We offer Beginning and Intermediate classes.
Beginning Level Course
Tuesdays 6:30-8:00pm
January 24 - May 8th (15 sessions)
at the Catholic Multicultural Center, 1862 Beld St

Intermediate Level Course
Thursdays 6:30-8:00pm
January 26 - May 10th (15 sessions)
at the Catholic Multicultural Center, 1862 Beld St

Cost for each course is $225.00, which provides class space, our teacher and supports programming at Literacy Network. (If you need to drop the course, a refund of $195 is available only through Thursday, February 3rd.)

Learn more about Spanish class or print off a registration form to sign up now. Space is limited and the class is filling quickly!
We hope to see you in class! Please email amy@litnetwork.org with any questions or concerns.

http://www.litnetwork.org/learners/inde ... ry_id=5081
http://www.litnetwork.org/uploads/media ... g_2012.pdf

MoneyMogul

Postby MoneyMogul » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:55 pm

Moving to a Spanish speaking country would be the fastest, but Rosetta Stone works great too.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:15 pm

A few years back I took three segments of Spanish from UW Continuing Education. Night classes. They were fun, and I learned a lot, but I still don't speak Spanish. I keep meaning to get back to it.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:22 pm

While I was taking those classes, one thing I did was DVR shows on Spanish-language television, especially kids' shows. Then I turned on closed captioning, kept the Spanish-English dictionary near and concentrated. "Pinky Dinky Doo" was a favorite.

En la gran ciudad, Pinky Dinky Doo cuenta muchos cuentos.

Return to “Catch All”