TDS raised my bill

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

TDS raised my bill

Postby bdog » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:54 pm

$73.39 / month for phone and internet. I've got 3mb? internet. I hardly ever make phone calls, let alone long distance. I stream movies, etc. through netflix.

I don't have a cell phone (Henry this is something we agree on - why carry around a ball and chain?).

I have rabbit ears for TV, but might be willing to upgrade. Might be nice to watch Monday Night football again.

I got something in the mail from Dish and Charter today - guess they have teamed up. It all changes so fast.

Is there a better deal out there? I'm so confused. Any advice appreciated.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Re: TDS raised my bill

Postby Detritus » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:38 am

bdog wrote:Is there a better deal out there? I'm so confused. Any advice appreciated.

I think the consensus on earlier threads around here is no, they all suck. A co-worker of mine just switched to U-Verse from Charter, and the difference in his cost is negligible, as it would have been if he had gone with Dish.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:41 am

bdog wrote:I don't have a cell phone (Henry this is something we agree on - why carry around a ball and chain?).

You know the ringer has an OFF position, right? And that you don't have to give your number to anyone? If you choose, your cell phone can give you phone access (and email and internet, if you swing that way) without giving anyone access to you. What's ball-and-chain about that?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:34 pm

Good points Duca but I don't think I'd have the discipline to do any of that. I'm better off having nothing.

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:12 pm

Due to my reduced income thanks to Act 10 and the University screwing up SS deductions and deducting MORE to make up their error, I'm thinking we need to cancel TDS. We also don't have cable and the rabbit ears are free (NOT good, but free). Just phone and internet with TDS. Now I love my internet access but TDS is pricing us out of the market. Don't see any better deals out there but my significant would love to have Monday Night Football again. No cell phone here either. Are there less expensive plans that to recommend?

Twigz2011

Postby Twigz2011 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:46 pm

If you don't use the phone much, there's free services that can be used over your internet connection using your computer. I've only used this option once for an outgoing call. Worked fine, but can't speak to any particular service or useage over time. My limited understanding is that you can make and receive calls, get voicemail and have calls forwarded to a different line. It may require a moderate fee as services increase or as minutes are used over a set amount. Dropping the phone would reduce your bill.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:10 pm

I too have TDS DSL and land line phone. My previous month's bill was $64.53 and the new bill, which just arrived, is $67.98. How come yours went up so much more? (or did it?) My service is rated 1M DSL not 3. Could you put up with the slower speed? I'm used to it, and home isn't the only place I use the internet.

I'd call TDS and ask what other deals they can offer you. Would they unbundle the phone from the internet service, if you came up with some acceptable alternative to one or the other?

TracFone cell service is about as cheap as it gets -- I pay something like $9.99 for a month. It doesn't work that well inside my house for some reason, so be sure it works at your place before you change.

Gmail phone service is supposedly quite good, if you think you want no separate phone at all. You don't have regular incoming phone service, but maybe you don't care. What happens to 911 access with voice over internet calling? I don't know.

What if you just used the internet in the library, coffee shops, and other places with free wifi? There really was a time in the not so distant past where we didn't need to check our email or complain on TDPF at 3 am.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:03 pm

Mine got raised also but still it's much lower than identical service from ATT.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 pm

I'm seriously thinking about switching to Charter for internet and phone instead of TDS for one reason: ESPN3.

As far as I can tell, ESPN3 is the first step toward ala carte pay TV, but it's not available to TDS users. I'd make a lateral switch, price-wise, only because access to all the games on ESPN3 would be worth it.

I'm also on rabbit ears, and watching a decent amount of Netflix through the Wii. But I'm interested in these new gizmos like Roku and Apple TV.

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:03 pm

I've had it with TDS. I'm not even sure they're supporting residential DSL other than to keep it up and running for legacy customers. They're terrible about informing customers of any upgrades and the stuff they do upgrade (new web portal and voicemail) is always a step back from a usability standpoint. The one time they did bump up my connection speed was because I called to bitch that they had sent me an ad flyer with my bill that was offering a better speed than what I had at a lower price.

I've contacted them twice via email to inquire if there's any opportunity, either currently or forthcoming, to bump up my DSL and have gotten zilch in return. Not even so much as a canned response letting me know they'd received the message.

What a shit way to run a business. I've tried to keep it as local as possible, but I'm about ready to hop the trolley.

Return to “Catch All”